Remotes cant find core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10 (Version 19041.746) i5-4690K with 16GB ram and running on an SSD
Roon build number is 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

PC to Dlink switch to Linksys switch (Connected to EE router)
Linksys switch connected to Lumin D2
All connections are ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin D2 connected by ethernet

Description Of Issue

Niether of my remotes (iPad air latest IOS and Google 3a latest OS) are able to find the roon core. This problem only started today and before then they were stable…if sometimes slow to find the core. Today they cannot find it at all.
I can play music via the lumin app with no issues and I can send music to the D2 from the roon app on the Win 10 machine (Core)

Got the ipad to connect for a minute and the wifi address for roon looked like this… “::ffff:192.” etc

Hi Anthony, fellow user with a suggestion, if you get to the can’t find core page, I think that there is a Help link which allows you to enter the server IP. Do not enter the real IP, try instead.

1 Like

Thanks for that…ill give it a go.

No joy. For now ive reverted to the lumin app…that works perfectly.

First of all, disable Windows firewall.

In your WiFi router settings, make sure you have any sort of “Isolation” or “Separation” features disabled.

You must make it pass multicast packets. This often relates to IGMP settings - these need to be experimented with.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your input. My router is very basic and comes with a very lockdowned interface. I found a setting extended upnp security. I disabled it and now my remote works…is that coincidence?
I cant find anything on multicast etc.

Nope not that. Just turned it back on and can still connect. Not sure what has changed but it seems to be working at present. …which is good as the lumin app is…its not roon!

Im guessing its time for a new router!

Nothing is changed. I think it’s likely that these changes caused a normal reboot of the router, curing the multicast discovery.

You don’t have to buy a new router for now. The next time you encounter a Roon or Lumin app discovery issue, power cycle all the network devices starting from the WiFi router, then the Roon Core, Lumin, iPad, etc.

Hi Peter,
After a bit of searching it appears that the router in question is very flakey with uPnP. That is probably the root cause I guess. After a long discussion with an ICT friend Ive ordered a Billion router which should settle things down a bit.
Ps never a problem with the Lumin app! Loving my D2 sounds almost analogue…which we both love.
Pps we find we prefer the sound of the Lumin doing the upsampling rather than roon.

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_Johnson,

Thanks for letting us know you were able to narrow down the issue to the router. If you have further difficulties after getting the new router up-and-running, please let us know and we can take another look, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.