Remotes lose connection (iOS in particular) 1310/1321

Hi-

Very frequently when I am using the iOS app, and then switch to a different app and then come back to Roon, the connection is lost - pages won’t update, the song progress bar doesn’t progress even though a song is playing, controls don’t work. If I go to the home page, it doesn’t render. Then… If I force quit the app and reload, all is well again in a few seconds. Until I leave the app and come back.

This has always happened to me infrequently, but now it feels like most of the time. It may have something to do with how long I take before I go back to the app - if it’s just a minute or two it’s far more likely I don’t have to force quit.

3 Likes

This also happens to me. I just thought I’d need to put up with it and restart Roon Server, but good to know others are in the same boat so we might get it fixed.

Same issue here as well. I hope Roon updates the iOS remotes soon.

I noticed that, too, but only over night and only on my wall-mounted iPad mini, not on my iPhone or iPad Pro.

Is there any instrumentation of this? Any way to fit the Room team to see how frequently a remote can’t find the core? For me this is frequent enough that it raises to “there should be some telemetry on this” though I don’t know how wide spread this is.

1 Like

Same issue here.

1 Like

Same issue for me too - running iOS on iPhone 15 Pro.

Yes it’s getting swapped out of memory and its background network activity stopped. Likely as it’s using too much of the iPhones resources. As it’s not a native iOS app you can’t set background refresh which keeps network activity active when in background to provide notifications etc.

I also notice it does this is in safari and Roons forum a lot to. So I think iOS is getting more aggressive at resource management. Roon is memory hungry app and the iPhones don’t have a huge amount of ram something they don’t even advertise.

3 Likes

Most useful piece of information in some time. Thank you. Makes me realize there’s unlikely to be a solve until a native app? Or is there a strategy for the app to realize what state it’s in and try to reestablish last known connections before failing?

1 Like

Sorry can’t help don’t have any idea, don’t think Roon even admit or acknowledge the remotes poor behaviour. It’s been raised before as it’s similar on Android I always had issues with it it eats memory and resources. You could try and mitigate it by turning off app optimisation but on devices with below 8gb of ram it really struggles I found. I decided to try iPhone again in a vague hope it would improve and it’s more or less the same sadly.

1 Like

Absolutely for me and others too. Even with an iPhone 15 Pro. As it’s no native app this also explains the broken behavior for years at iOS remote touch screen sensitivity and choppy scrolling [Improvements released]

1 Like

iOS at least on the latest early access builds has been very unstable and slow, the constant losing of server connection has been frustrating sometimes.

Also feel the experience is lagging a lot more than before, sometimes I have to disable tidal and Qobuz to have more speed in the interface.

As anyone else I will have to wait for a new build and hope this issues are gone on the next one, until then I will have to live with it.

1 Like

Well I guess there is hopefully a new release soon. But as the iOS app is not a native one a number of problems that go hand in hand are hardly able to be solved.
@Suedkiez you are running that build too?

Been running on iPad and never seen a lost connection that I recall

Yes, fwiw my iPhone seems more sensitive than my IPad. I can imagine resources get tighter with an iPhone but I am purely speculating.

Is there a member of team Roon who could comment on whether this is an observed issue meriting attention? I don’t want to put a support ticket in, because this is just a low level persistent hassle vs what I’d consider a bug. Maybe others disagree.

Well loosing connection and making the app unusable I would consider quite a serious bug. Even though there is a workaround this is something to investigate closely and fix.
Maybe @benjamin has a status on this.

I used to have a lot of issues on my old Fire 10HD. I now have a Redmi Pad, which is really an issue.

However, I did just have an issue that was only resolved by restarting the core.

I have the same issue using my iPhone 12 as a remote - frequent disconnections but Roon keeps on playing. I never have the problem with my iPads mini 5. It usually comes back by itself after a few minutes. I just domt use the iPhone as a remote any more.

I know this is my issue originally, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse. Or maybe it’s just particularly frustrating today. I think I’ve restarted the Roon remote on my phone 30 times already. Makes me want to go use spotify.

1 Like

Well you are not alone and this happens to others too. Unfortunately have to wait for support feedback as there is no other way currently.