Remotes now lose connection to core when on different orbi satellite

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

IMac running latest Coronado, latest Roon

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Orbi system w RB50 router and 4 satellites. Core wired to switch wired to router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Various streamers, mainly a digipi, Remotes are iphone and iPad, both latest OS.

Description Of Issue

This is bizarre. I have been using Roon a couple weeks, and wanting to love it, but literally the instant I resolved my former issue (hung library loading), the formerly perfect behavior of remotes connecting to the core broke. Attempting to control music from my iPhone or iPad, now, whenever I move closer to a satellite, away from the router/access point the switch/iMac core is plugged into (so the iPhone or iPad switches connection from the router/access point to the satellite) I lose connection… “Lost Connection! Trying to reconnect”. I added the switch hoping that might help. All my other WiFi devices work fine irrespective of which satellite on the mesh network I’m controlling from my iPhone. Why is Roon hating mesh?

Not all meshes. I use Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh at one location, Ubiquiti UniFi mesh at another, iPad, macOS, and Android remotes, zero issues.

Hi @evan_campbell,

How are these devices configured? Are they set up as a mesh network or are they acting as access points with different subnets?

Generally we don’t see any issues with mesh networks as long as they’re configured properly and the devices are all on the same subnet.

Another thing we’ve found, specifically with Orbi routers, is that you want to uncheck the disable IGMP proxying setting. This tends to help issues with remote connections.

1 Like

I think the issue here is that you are effectively running two networks. Core, endpoints, and remotes need to be on the same network.

I think you would need to turn off wireless on your router, ie put it into modem mode. This would probably disable all but one port, which the Orbi base should be plugged into, leaving the Orbi to manage the entire network.

Can you plug the core into the Orbi base unit?

1 Like

@dylan rocks. I flipped off the IGMP thingy, bounced everything, and now remotes work like they did for weeks before it all went wonky. No idea why the previous mesh setup went from good to bad a couple days ago, but now Roon is usable around the house again. Thank you!

2 Likes

Glad to hear that helped, @evan_campbell!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.