Remotes sometimes will not connect to core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon core: Mac mini (macos 10.13.6), Roon v1.7 build 511. I’ve also tried running the core on a Windows 10 Dell XPS 13 laptop connected to wifi. Trouble occurs with both cores.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Internet via Xfinity Arris SVG2482AC operating in bridge mode connected to an Orbi RBR40 wifi router. The house has one Orbi satellite at the opposite end of the house. Roon core and roon remotes don’t connect to the satellite. Roon core and remotes are on the same subnet and have static IP addresses.
The core is usually connected via ethernet to a plug in wifi adapter, but the trouble persists even when I connect the core directly to the orbi router. The orbi router doesn’t have any multicast settings or anything that might seem relevant. There are no security features (firewalls, blocked services, etc) running on the mac mini, orbi router, or windows laptop.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

No audio issues

Description Of Issue

Roon remotes often lose connection to the Roon core. I primarily use an Android Pixel 2 for one remote and a windows 10 laptop for another remote. Both have had connectivity problems, but the android seems worse. Sometimes everything is fine. Maybe 50% of the time, the android remote won’t connect to the core within a few seconds of opening the app. It will immediately connect if I toggle the core’s “accept connections from remotes” setting. If I don’t do anything the android seems to connect on its own after a few to several minutes.
I took packet captures during the loss of connection, the several minutes of attempted reconnection, and the eventual successful connection. I have the roon logs during this same time. I can send those along if they will help.

Hi @adam_tuxbury,

Whenever the Pixel 2 disconnects does the Windows laptop always disconnect? During this time is everything working as expected on the Core machine directly?

I don’t notice that the remotes ever disconnect. I notice only that they sometimes can’t reconnect, or only reconnect after several minutes. I have to close the app and reopen it to recreate the trouble. This slowness to reconnect happens on both windows and Android remotes but not always at the same time. Everything seems normal on the core when this happens. There’s no pattern or accompanying symptom that I can discern.

Hi @adam_tuxbury,

Thanks for confirming that this doesn’t seem to impact both remote devices at the same time. Since this is the case, this type of issue most frequently is caused by some sort of networking problem.

Can you confirm that the Disable IGMP Proxying setting for your Orbi router is not checked?

Can you provide some more details about this adapter?

It looks like clearing the “Disable IGMP Proxying” setting worked!
Thank you.

Hi @adam_tuxbury,

I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.