Remove Star Ratings (and Reviews) for Music In My Library

But that’s a different feature request, isn’t it? If they removed the star ratings and the reviews, you’d still have the same problem…

Sure; I guess my point is I wouldn’t mind the star ratings and reviews if they were secondary to the other stuff.

1 Like

I get that some people like the ratings and reviews, I really would just like the option to turn them off. The interface would look as if an album was unidentified such as this:

1 Like

Looks a lot better like this, though. :wink:

3 Likes

While you can’t view a PDF directly within Roon, it knows about PDFs, and will give you links that will open PDFs that are stored locally in your album folder, or provided by the streaming service (Qobuz does this now; I don’t know whether Tidal does it as well).

Yep, I’m aware.

Not to me.

4 Likes

The release notes for v1.8 build 763 state the following:

• New “Customize Album Display” options:
    • Star rating
    • MQA badge
    • Album display settings now used across the app including TIDAL, Qobuz, Genre pages, etc

I was hopeful that this new star rating toggle would allow me to disable star ratings across Roon, but they still appear on individual album pages. I would like to have the ability to disable all star ratings, since I feel they bias my perception of an album before I’ve even listened to it, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
would be a moment of melancholy

1 Like

Hi to all, and extra thanks to all the people behind Roon. I absolutely love it and cannot imagine my life without it. The only thing I’d like to get rid of are the rating stars on album descriptions. Even though they might be added by someone with a considerable expertise, I would very much like to do without them. They create bias, and at least in my opinion, are a shallow and an unnecessary informational device that doesn’t help me in any way. It’s just a bit of random judgment that I can’t avoid seeing, and sometimes I notice dismissing music I would otherwise be more keen to listen just because there’s a measly three stars next to the record.

So, to cut it short, is there any way to disable them permanently?

Also, I do understand if someone finds them helpful, I myself like to read the introduction. I just would like to not see the stars while opening an album.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I agree with you. Fortunately, you can also add your own rating (for the albums you have added to your library).

1 Like

Unfortunately not, I’ve moved your post into this feature request.

3 Likes

It is possible to hide / show album ratings already
I don’t know if this configuration option is the result of the implemented feature request mentioned above or if it came with the update to Roon 1.8 … whatever, you can set your preference about hiding or showing star ratings under Settings / General / Customize album display:

It is possible to hide / show album ratings already

That’s correct, but I believe this only disables the rating appearing in the overview; it will still show in the album view.

Generally, it’s a bit of a bummer this thread is still unresolved, nearly 5 years in. I don’t mind the AllMusic reviews, but care a lot less for a single reviewer’s star rating. As for the possibility to override this, I don’t really get why you would rate music you own in your library; most of us would probably throw it out if we don’t like it (unless maybe completists with a short memory span). I’d definitely also upvote added options to turn off star ratings and reviews separately.

3 Likes

I love the reviews and star ratings. The good thing is music I really like (almost) never gets bad reviews/ratings on AllMusic…

Well if it were possible to turn it off, you can still leave it on, can’t you? The problem for many here is simply that there is no choice and there’s just too much real estate wasted on things some of us couldn’t care less about.

4 Likes

You can already turn off all editorial review sources

Thanks, but that doesn’t remove star ratings from AllMusic, unfortunately. And I quite agree: that’s what it should be: an optional editorial source (though ‘editorial’ may be too high-strung for this one – I think it’s pretty random, bordering on ad-spam, and only survived because there’s nothing better around: the database is pretty terrible, error reports don’t do f-all and it has similar weaknesses to most streaming db’s).

3 Likes

I just wanted to let you know, not debate it. I happen to like the TiVo reviews, but those who don’t can display Wikipedia now or turn it off entirely. So this seems solved now.

As for the stars, you can override them with your own rating.

2 Likes

I quite disagree. The thread’s called “Remove Star Ratings”, so which part of it is resolved? This isn’t about your preferences of review sources, it’s about poor use of screen real estate (particularly in the tagline that also includes a fully spelled-out ‘date added’, which is merely a sorting value) and the lack of options to clean it up. If you fancy rating your own music collection, go for it, but I’d like to bring back the original request for more hide options and more control, not discuss things with folks who are happy to keep everything switched on.

4 Likes