Reorganising library

hi

small question

I run my Roon core on a QNAP 253be NAS
The Roon database is setup on a external USB SSD

At the moment all music resides inside the MULTIMEDIA\MUSIC folder on the normal spinning HDDs of the nas

these include subfolders
MP33
FLAC
DSD
OTHER

i just ordered an expansion board and 2 ssds; and i’m planning on moving the Roon Database and the FLAC music to the SSDs in the expansion module

i’m planning on migrating in several steps

step 1:
Install expansion board and SSDs

step 2

Stop Roon
Rename Old RoonServer Share the RoonServerOld
Make a new RoonServer share on the SSD
copy everything from RoonServerOld to RoonServer

Start Roon

Step 3 Make new directory FLAC on the SSD

Step 4 copy FLAC from HHD to SSD

Step 5 in Roon now i only have setup \NAS\MULTIMEDIA\MUSIC setup as music storage

so i want to remove this folder and add separate folder:

\NAS\MULTIMEDIA\MUSIC\MP3
\NAS\MULTIMEDIA\MUSIC\DSD
\NAS\SSD\MUSIC\FLAC

question is: will this result in a complete re-scan, and if re-scanned, are the music files recognised correctly as before? will they still be identified?

other question: will the stop roon / rename share thing work? or should I do backup / restore?

this is the first time i’m planning on such drastic changes

does anyone have experience with these kind of changes?

kind regards

Meanwhile i browsed the faqs some more and found this

explaining my 1st question:

Steps

If you are moving files between locations, drives, or machines, then it is best to avoid letting Roon see 2 copies of the same file at the same time:

1. Be sure you have a current backup of your database before proceeding

2. In Roon’s Settings > Storage, disable all old storage folders that contain the files that are being relocated.

3. For performance reasons, if you are adding a large amount of music (1000’s of tracks), quit Roon (or stop RoonServer on Nucleus). The best experience will come from letting Roon look at the folders when the files have settled.

4. Move/Copy the files

5. If you stopped Roon in Step 2, start it again.

6. In Roon’s Settings > Storage, edit the folders disabled in step 1 and change the folder location and re-enable it.

second question about the renaming / moving of the RoonServer directory is still open

Heads up

everything worked flawless with the stepds described above

2 Likes