Repetitive background noise with Roon 1.8

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS-X 11.1 / Roon 1.8 Build 753

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi / Connecting Roon to DAC via Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

AURALiC Aries Mini (Ethernet) outputting analog audio directly to amps

Description Of Issue

This has started since I installed Roon 1.8. I can turn on my amplifiers (Emotiva PA-1 mono pair) and everything is dead quiet. The DAC at this point has no input at all. I start Roon 1.8 on my Mac and Roon Remote 1.8 on my iPad, and immediately I get a soft farting sound from my speakers. The noise lasts about 0.5 seconds and occurs every 7 seconds. If I shut down Roon Remote, the noise stops immediately.

To make this even more difficult to diagnose, I have a second amplifier (Black Ice Audio F22 tube integrated amplifier). If the F22 is hooked up, I get no noise at all from Roon.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Boomzilla

Do you have kids?.. an aging canine perhaps?

Like the church ladies who cut those horrible but silent one-cheek-sneaks and then turn around and glare like YOU did it?

Nah - it’s Roon.

UPDATE on this issue:

I tried another software (Auralic LDS) and the noise persisted - so it’s not Roon
I bypassed my Schiit Loki EQ box and the noise persisted - so it’s not the Schiit
I tried a different amplifier and the noise persisted - so it’s not the amp
I tried different interconnects and the noise persisted - so it’s not wiring
I disconnected the Ethernet cable & fed my DAC via WiFi and the noise stopped - So it’s related to Ethernet!

How that can be, I don’t know. Maybe a capacitor in my Ethernet switch is going bad and bleeding noise onto the signal? Maybe the wall-wart for the switch is intermittently not fully rectifying?

But the problem is solved for now. I can test my theory by substituting another switch (which I should probably do anyway just in case - I don’t want a bad switch frying my Blu-Ray player or TV either).

2 Likes

I am glad and congratulate you that you have investigated and found the cause of your problem. It is an interesting case, worthy of being remembered as a lesson learned.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.