Rescanning files hanging

In the last few days, “rescanning files” is always spinning and stuck on “1/1” or sometimes “1/2”
I have reviewed the list of “skipped files” and deleted or converted all the files that could have caused a problem: the list is now empty, but the rescanning is still on-going.

Could you please look at my log,or help me identify which file could cause the issue?

Hello @dim_fink,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Activity Spinner page? It should look something like this:

I have also gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Thanks,
Noris

Here it is - thanks Noris

Hello @dim_fink,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I am unfortunately not seeing any diagnostics reports from your Core reach our servers. Can I please ask you to manually send me the log files from your Core using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be by using a shared Dropbox or Google Drive link but if you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload method.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @dim_fink,

Thanks for sending those over, I took a look at them but cannot quite identify the root causes of the issue just yet. Just to confirm here, this same behavior still occurs even after a reboot of the Core?

Thanks,
Noris

Yes indeed - after reboot as well. it is now spinning at 58/59, so there seems to have still 1 problematic file somewhere

Hi @dim_fink,

Thanks for letting me know that there is just one problematic file left. Would you mind sending manual logs again? Just a note though, our diagnostics server is reporting that you have both Roon and RoonServer operating at the same time, if RoonServer is your Core and you are just using Roon as a remote on the same PC, please upload the logs from the RoonServer folder and not the Roon folder.

Thanks,
Noris

This makes sense - I probably sent you the wrong log files last time, from Roon and not Roon server which is the one I use

Hello @dim_fink,

Thank you for sending those log files over. I have taken a look over them and have identified one possible file that could be causing this issue:
Arabella Steinbacher - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Violin Concertos Nos. 3, 4, 5 - Violin Concerto No. 5 in A, K. 219: Rondeau- Tempo di menuetto- Allegro- Tempo di menuetto

Do you by any chance know where this file is saved and if it exists on your local hard drive? It is not clear if this is a local file or a file from streaming services.

I do want to discuss one other thing with you here, from the diagnostics it appears that you might be having some networking issues, I am seeing connection failures to TIDAL, Qobuz and our Roon Servers. This could also be another cause of the issue if Roon were to get stuck while communicating with the metadata servers.

What is your network setup like here? Can you please list the model/manufacturer of all your gear and how everything is connected?

Thanks,
Noris

Excellent this was the file ! Problem fixed :grinning:

Regarding the network issues, I was installing a new roon bridge yesterday and got into some issues, that are now mostly solved I think - though you may have some better suggestions

Setup is:

• windows 10 server (MSI CUBI), connected on internet via wifi (static IP)
  • a CUBOX running roon bridge, with a hiface USB converter as output

What is the best way to connect both computer together?

• I thought I could use a regular ethernet cable, however it did not work smoothly. I kind of had it working by bridging the wifi and ethernet port adapter in windows 10, but it was unstable.
  • I am planning to buy a crossover ethernet cable. Would it work? Should I care about how to set the IP address of the ethernet adapter or can I just leave it on auto ?
  • any other recommended setup?

Currently I am using wifi on the bridge, which works but not optimal - some drop out from time to time

Hi @dim_fink,

Glad to hear that I spotted the correct file that was causing issues! :slight_smile: Would you mind sending it over to us so that QA can take a look and try to avoid similar issues in the future? I will message you upload instructions shortly.

As for your networking question, unfortunately these all seem like bad ideas to me. First of all, I would not use a static IP for any computer nowadays, most routers have DHCP reservation capabilities so I would check to see if your router has this option. Adding it as an address reservation instead of static will allow your PC to still be working if it were ever to switch subnets (for example if you take it with you somewhere).

What I would do here is buy an unmanaged network switch and have it connected directly to the router. Then, use the unmanaged switch to create the connection between the Core and the Roon Bridge. This should give you a much more stable approach to your setup.

You can also peruse our Networking Best Practices Guide for additional suggestions but I hope that this gives you a good starting point!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.