Restore backup failed after update to Build 1169

Hello @benjamin,
Yes I did try several versions of the backup - same result.

Thanks for looking into the database! I’m looking forward to hearing what you find.

1 Like

Hey @Hans_N,

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investigate your database. While we continue to do this, I wanted to double-check that, when you attempted to update to 2.0, you did so by downloading the manual link and following the steps via the help article below:

Because you are running 1.8 legacy, you’ll need to perform the above. Let me know! :pray:

Hello @benjamin
Yes - this is exactly the instructions I used to go from 1.8 Legacy to 2.0. After doing that it (2.0) was working perfectly expect that I could not restore my database.

Thanks once again for looking into this. It means a lot to me!

Hey @Hans_N,

Thank you for your patience while our team took a closer look at the database you sent over. After examination, they too experienced unmanaged crashes, and were not able to successfully load the database.

Because of this, there isn’t much they could do to recover the database. This leaves us in a sticky situation, where your options are to either stay at 1.8 with your saved settings, or upgrade to 2.0 and start on a clean slate with needing to re-add your watched folders and re-import your library.

Let me know your thoughts @Hans_N and how you would like to proceed. :pray:

Hello @benjamin

Thank you again for taking your time looking into this.

Although this is really bad news! Obviously I’m disappointed, as I se no solution being stuck to 1.8 for all future. This was not what I expected when I bought lifetime. And going to 2.0 involves not only importing my library again, it means that I will loose all my edits. I have around 1.700 bootlegs that I have edited whit tags, musicians, source etc. All those edits will be lost when I go to 2.0. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Perhaps one thing to consider:
I was able to go from 1.8 to 2.0 back in oktober with no problems. The problem came when I upgraded from build 1154 to build 1169. Is it possible for me to install build 1154?

If that does not solve the problem, is there a way I can export my edits (source, musicians, bootleg, live etc) to eg Excel before leaving 1.8 and installing 2.0 - and then import those edits into 2.0?

Thanks again, I appreciate you trying to sort this problem out.

1 Like

Hey @Hans_N,

I wish it were the case that we could provide manual links to previous build downloads, but unfortunately, this isn’t an option at this time. I will certainly bring this up during our next team call as I could see it being beneficial for many users.

You do have some options in regards to exporting in Roon, though! Here is more information on that:

Let me know if this is helpful, and if you have any additional questions.

Hello @benjamin
Please let me know if/when you allow installing previously build!

Thank you for the link. But I can not se how I get my edited credits (musicians) into Excel? So is there another way, I can se the credits after I kill my database upgrading to 2.0? And is it possible to import those from Excel?

Not the answer you are looking for, but if you have another computer, you could put Roon 1.8 Legacy on one and Roon 2.0 on the other and switch back and forth when you want to use your older database. You would need to switch your clients back and forth, or better yet, keep one on 1.8 and another on 2.0.

Thanks @Jim_F, that is a good idea, although I think I will have to log into Roon whenever I change version.

Now I’ll have to start all over from scratch. And as I have now learned, that I cannot rely on Roon’s database, I’ll have to dig into how I tag my musicfiles to best suit my needs in Roon. I guess I will ask some questions - and for some tips - about this in another thread.

Unless @benjamin have some additional findings or information (eg. an answer to my question about if it is possible to export credits etc. to Excel and import them again) I consider this thread closed.

Switching Roon from one core to the other is simple and takes about 10 seconds. I have 3 cores and two subscriptions and am frequently switching back and forth for one reason or another.

1 Like

Hey @Hans_N,

Exporting credits are not readily available at this time. You have my apologies there, and I will certainly push this as a request to our developers. :+1:

1 Like

Hello @benjamin,
Thanks for letting me know.

I have now startet all over again, which implied two steps:

1. reinstallin Roon (ver. 2) on my NUC
  2. retagging most of my music files with musician credits, dates, venues, source etc. so this is not dependent on Roon.

No. 2 is a long lasting project.

But no 1. is causing me serious problems. After reinstall I added all my music (local files and Qobuz). I can estimate that it will take Roon around 2 weeks to finish analyzing all my files. But apart from this everything seemed fine until after 4 days of analyzing the music-files, my remote suddenly is stuck at “waiting for Roon core”. I tried deleting the database restoring an automatic backup I made two days ago. The restore seemed to work fine and told me to relaunch but then it tells me “waiting for Roon core”. So here we are again…

I guess I could start all over once again, this time I will only have lost 4 days of audio-analyzing. But honestly I’m afraid that I’ll end up the same place again: Roon database crashing and me not being able to restore my backups.

@supprt @Benjamin, can you please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Did you try reinstalling the Roon app on your remote? Also, reboot everything including router, Roon core, remotes, etc. Might help.

The audio analysis just creates the waveform and decides on the volume leveling information. I don’t use volume leveling, but, I always suggest that you turn Audio Analysis to On Demand for larger libraries. This will analyze the track the first time it is played. It does put a brief pause (depending on the speed of your cpu) at start of playback, but, better than having a sluggish system for weeks, imho.

What a great forum - quick help. Thanks a lot!

@Jim_F, I have tried rebooting my router, my core etc. And I just tried, on your suggestion, to reinstall the remote. But this makes no difference.

@Rugby, turning Audio Analysis to On Demand is definitely a good idea. I will do this (when/if my problems will be solved).

In the meantime I tried to reinstall and 1) connect to Qobuz and made two different backups to different usb-sticks. Then, after turning off Audio Analysis I turned on scanning of my files and made two new backups (different usb-sticks).

When restoring 1) (no matter what usb-stick I use), I can successfully restore. BUT when I restore 2) I end up with “waiting for Roon core”, no matter what usb-stick I do the restore from.

So It seems that there is someting in my music files that does not prevent me using Roon and backing up, but that will not let me restore the database?

I came across this old thread: Roon Server Software restarts constantly after restarting ROCK

I checked, and after I delete my database, and do a new scan of my files, everything works fine until I reboot the server. When I check the web interface after a restore, it appears that Roon Server Software constantly are rebooting every 20 seconds. It seems that the reason I cannot restore a backup of my database is that the server is constantly rebooting. So the problem is not the backup. The problem is rebooting the server.

The problem in the case of Niko T turned out to be a broken picture in his library. Could that be my problem too?

Niko T’s problem was on an other version of Roon. My problem is only related to 2.0 as I since December and until 6 days ago was on 1.8 legacy, in which I could restart with no problems.

Try if you can find what file it is choking on in the RoonServer log files:

@Suedkiez, yes, I have tried looking into the log files, but I cannot interpret the information. Thanks anyway.

Hey @Hans_N,

After reviewing diagnostics on your account, we are indeed seeing some errors in line with data on one of your external drives. It seems to be linked to the SanDisk Ultra Fit, if you disable this drive and remove it from your core, does Roon server still reboot as often?

How is the ultra-fit formatted?