Restore failed (Not Supported). Please try again - [Solved - Updated Apple device to newest iOS and Roon Version]

Today I built a NUC7i5BNH in a fanless Akasa X7 case. I’ve installed the latest ROCK and Roon software. I am trying to install from a backup I created on a Roon Nucleus, that I have been borrowing (and have developed quite a few playlists on). I select on the latest backup and I get the error “Restore filed (Not Supported). Please try again” after it tries to restore for 5 or so seconds.

Both the Nucleus and ROCK are using version 1.5 (build 334) and Firmware 1.0 (build 158).

Why am I getting this error?

Hi, @Dave_Neilson, sorry to hear for your troubles. Could you please describe how did you transfer this backup from Nucleus to ROCK? And what was the backup location, when you made a backup on Nucleus?

Also, I see that you are migrating your Library to ROCK, so I think you should give this article a read.

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Ivan

I followed the article you referenced.

I backed up to a Samsung T5 1TB SSD usb drive. The folder is called RoonBackups and contains two files. A folder with a long name starting “b671c606-1d1f-acf7- …” and a file called “roon_backup_root

Dave

Hello @Dave_Neilson,

Yes that sounds about right, that’s the structure of a Roon Backup. Can you please try to restore from the backup again and let me know if it still fails? I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostic mode on your account, what this will do is next time your core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Please perform the restore again and note the local time in your country that if it fails and let me know that time here. I will be able to check the error log for that time and see if Roon is outputting any errors.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris

I just attempted twice - same issue. Please review the logs

Thank you,

Dave

Hello @Dave_Neilson,

Thanks for attempting to perform the Restore again. Unfortunately, it seems that the diagnostic info is having difficulties reaching our servers. Can I kindly please ask you to manually upload logs using these instructions to locate them and uploading them to our diagnostic service? I will PM you shortly on how to upload to our diagnostic server.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Dave_Neilson,

I can confirm that we have successfully received your submitted diagnostic info and I have started a case for you with our QA team. I appreciate your patience while the QA team analyzes the logs and I will be sure to let you know once they have completed their report and have passed it on to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Dave_Neilson,

I have just received the report back from QA. They have said that the reason why your restore is failing is because you are attempting to restore from a remote device that is running an older version of Roon. To perform a restore, both the Endpoint and the Roon Remote need to be using the same version of Roon.

I recommend updating all of your devices to the newest Roon version, you can manually update in Settings -> About (top right-hand corner of Settings) -> Update Roon. Please also update the Roon App from the App Store on any Remotes you have (iPad/iPhone) to make sure that they are on the newest 334 Build before performing the restore.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Doh … updating iPad to iOS 11. That could be the issue… My bad. Then I assume I can update Roon on iPad … just noticed my iPhone X is on v1.5 of app

Dave

Hello @Dave_Neilson,

Do you have your iPad iOS up to date? Older versions of iOS only support older versions of the Roon App which is why it would not be visible in the App Store. Or if you have another device that is running the newest iOS you could temporarily use that to restore your backup. Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Noris

My mistake. Didn’t notice iPad needed updating. Sorry!

No need to apologize @Dave_Neilson :slight_smile:

Please let me know if the backup works after performing the update to the Roon App.

Thanks,
Noris

It worked. Up and running. Thank you

@Dave_Neilson - Glad to help!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.