Restore local library to ROCK internal drive

I am running ROON ROCK on an intel NUC, and recently my main SSD died.
I have replaced the dead SSD and reinstalled ROON. I have also restored a library backup.
I have reformatted the internal storage drive, and put all my music files back on it.

Now I am having trouble getting ROON to recognise that this is the new location of the same old files. It is instead importing all my local music as if it were seeing it for the first time, without any library information of it.

In the storage section I see two entries (the machine is named NUC Core):

1. Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage
  2. NUC Core > Storage > Music

I am aware that in order to get ROON to see the local files as the library versions that they were before, I have to change the storage location to the new one. So tell it that 2. is now 1. But when I hit ā€˜edit this folderā€™ I see no option to choose the internal storage.

Is there any way I could do that, so I could restore not only the Qobuz part of my library, but also the local part?

This does not seem to be correct to me. It seems as though you have at some point created a folder called Music on the m.2 SSD - which should never be done.

You should delete this Watched Folder.

And Iā€™m curious as to why you reformatted the Internal Storage drive - if that was where your music files were, then the Roon Server should have picked these up from your restored backup and not started re-importing.

1 Like

ā€˜Musicā€™ is just the folder on the internal storage drive holding all my music, the folder ā€˜Storageā€™ is just the top level folder on the internal storage drive, and it is there by default (the ROCK guide tells you explicitly to use this folder). This folder lies on the internal storage drive, in my case a 1TB SATA SSD. It is not on the nvme system drive.

As to why I have reformatted the storage drive, it is precisely because Roon did not recognise it.
Also, Iā€™d face the same problem of formatting a new storage drive in case I would upgrade the drive to a higher capacity one, so there should be a way of doing this, regardless.

Sorry, but I think that you are doing some odd things here. Can you post a screenshot of Roonā€™s Settings > Storage screen, so that we can see the details of what youā€™ve set up?

I suspect that you have added the Music folder via the ā€œAdd Network Shareā€ route - so you have now duplicated your library and imported the second copyā€¦

Hi, I can assure you that I am not doing anything odd, and am not using a network share.
I strictly followed the instructions in this (ROCK: Storage Basics) manual under the section ā€˜Internal Storageā€™ to get my music onto the NUCs internal (second) SSD.

To clarify, here is the screenshot of my Settings > Storage screen:

Here is the screen that comes up when I click on ā€˜edit this folderā€™:

And here is the screen that comes up when I click on ā€˜Browseā€¦ā€™:

On this screen I should just be able to select the (new) internal storage drive, but I am not.
To clarify further: If I were using either network storage or an external USB drive, I would see them here.
In fact I have verified that if I connect a USB drive with all my music on it, it correctly assumes that the music was moved there and all my local files show up in my library correctly (with stars, favorites, tags, etc.).
Itā€™s just that I donā€™t want to use an external USB drive or network storage, I want to use my NUCs internal storage drive.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Erm, no thatā€™s not how it works. You will not see the InternalStorage folder on this screen - ever. So that screenshot is to be expected.

Your first screenshot is showing the default Internal Storage folder, with 3,531 tracks imported. It also shows the NUC Core > Storage > Music folder as not existing - I suspect that this has come from your restored backup. Just delete it.

Yes, I know, just pointing out that this is the only place I get to tell Roon a new storage location for an existing folder. And that I cannot, as you point out, tell it that itā€™s the internal storage drive.

Again, yes, it has come from my restored backup, but if I delete it, that still has not solved my problem, that the new drive is not recognised as having the library version of my files, so I will lose all my library data (stars, favorites, etc.). I obviously want to avoid that.

Have you in fact lost all your data, or has Roon recognised that your music is now on your Internal Storage drive and reconstructed everything as it was? Assuming that you have recreated the same structure of folders and files as was on the internal drive originally, before you reformatted itā€¦

That NUC Core > Storage > Music setting strikes me as being odd. I donā€™t understand where this is coming from or why it has occurred.

A couple of months back I replaced the m.2 SSD in my ROCK/NUC setup, which has a 2TB 2.5" SATA drive holding my local files.

I installed ROCK on the new SSD, restored a backup and was up and running with all my settings preserved. I didnā€™t need to format the 2.5" drive, and I didnā€™t see any odd Watched Folder settings appear as a result of the restored backup. Roon just matched the existing content of the drive with the backup and I was off to the races.

Yes, I have done so.

No, Roon has recognised all the files on the internal storage drive as new files and as such has not reconstructed everything as it was (only the part of my library that references Qobuz streaming albums, and not my local files). This is precisely what I said in my first post:

Lucky you there, for me it sadly didnā€™t. But as I said before:

Well, OK, but it doesnā€™t explain that mysterious Watched Folder. I guess weā€™ll have to wait until your issue reaches the head of the Support teamā€™s queue and they can pull logs to see if that casts any light on what has happened in your case.

Replacing the m.2 drive and reinstalling Roon does not require a reformat of your SSD drive with your music files on it. That is, if you did a restore of the Roon database on the m.2 drive. If you did not do a restore, then I donā€™t know how it would react.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by you ā€œrestored a library backup.ā€

Thereā€™s something else at play here. If the newly-formatted drive had the same folder and file structure restored to it, then it shouldnā€™t have mattered if the drive was reformatted or notā€¦

1 Like

Sry, I used incorrect terminology. ā€˜restore library backupā€™ = ā€˜restore backup of Roon databaseā€™.

1 Like

Can you clarify on the steps you went through to restore the database?

Itā€™s important for a successful migration that you do NOT first log in to your new ROCK installation and then restore a backup, but restore a backup using the link on the log-in screen instead of logging in. See step 3 here:

Yes, I did restore the backup before logging in.
At that point I had not yet reformatted the internal storage drive. But Roon did not recognise it.
I then reformatted it and put all my music back on it, which Roon then did not recognise, as I have stated previously.

But your question regarding the proper order of doing things got me thinking:
Under ā€˜Step 4: Configurationā€™ it just says:

Internal Storage
If the drive is the default music location on Windows or macOS, or it is the Internal Storage folder of Nucleus or ROCK, no changes are necessary.

However, it is not mentioned if you need to put your files back before you restore your backup (which I did not do, as I tried using the ā€˜oldā€™ internal storage drive with all the files on them already), or if it is also possible to do it after restoring a backup.

I might try to restore the backup again, now that I have got all my files on the internal storage drive, and see whether that works.

Tried that today, without any luck. Internal drive was initially disabled. Upon enabling same situation as before.

Roon does not recognise the local tracks as part of my library and imports them all anew.

Then itā€™s down to that odd NUC Core > Storage > Music reference. I really donā€™t understand where thatā€™s coming from if you had been using the default Internal Storage with your previous m.2 SSD.

Hi @Leon_Reich,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue. Please try these steps:

1. Disconnect the drive
  2. Restore a backup
  3. Delete the storage path in settings ā†’ storage
  4. Reconnect the drive
  5. Reboot