Roon Core Machine
Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex.
Networking Gear & Setup Details
Connected Audio Devices
Ethernet to Chromecast connected to Denon receiver
Number of Tracks in Library
Description of Issue
A new computer necessitated a change of drive letters.
Formerly, external drive containing music files was G:. Now it is F:.
External drive containing Roon backup was F:. Now it is G:.
No problem installing Roon and scanning F: (where the music files are located). Everything plays fine.
The issue is, I restored my backup to reclaim my playlists. The playlists are there, but it says the songs are unavailable.
The files all still exist, in the same folder. The only difference is that the path has slightly changed so that (for example), Alex Chilton’s “Free Again” is not at…
G:\My Documents\Music (lossless)\Chilton, Alex\2012 - Free Again; The 1970 Sessions\01 Free Again (original mono mix).flac
F:\My Documents\Music (lossless)\Chilton, Alex\2012 - Free Again; The 1970 Sessions\01 Free Again (original mono mix).flac
I see no option that would allow me to edit playlists to reflect the new drive letter, either in bulk or even by associating the files to the playlists individually. Is there a way?
This is actually not a big deal, I’m just sitting in front of a Linux PC right now and have to speak from memory.
The expert goes to the bottom left of the Windows icon with the right mouse button and thus comes into the disk management. There then first drive G is made drive H and then F is changed back to G. Finally, H becomes F again and everything is in its old place.
Well, you needed to have Roon NOT read the drive as the new drive letter. It has added all those albums again as new. You might notice you also probably lost your play counts.
Instead of adding F as a new storage drive, you need to EDIT the old G drive path to be the new F drive path.
I would suggest restoring a backup again, and editing the old storage path.
Thanks, all! I got it.
@Rugby : It was actually even simpler than that. In Setting/Storage, it had my library twice–once with the new scan, and once with the old path (from the restored backup).
Under the old path, it noted that the files could not be found and offered the option to edit the path.
So I simply deleted the path for the new scan and pointed the old path to the new one.
This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.