Retro vintage 80s technology

Lots of parts made me chuckle.

Especially her final words, nearly 40 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tx6TYnPat8

1 Like

The CD / CD player was quite the thrill when it came out. I bought my first CD player in 1984.

3 Likes

They were amazing! Easy to use, instant next/previous buttons, no background noise, silence between tracks, no clicks and bumps, no needle drop thud, no turning over after 20 mins, they were the stuff of dreams! I still have my first two CD’s: Blood on the Tracks, and Brothers in Arms; they both still play.

3 Likes

Nice video

Nice Thumb prints … Perhaps we need WD40 or T Cut :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with CD on sound quality and convenience but a CD player is a boring box in itself. A vinyl TT can be a piece of high quality engineering you have to set up to get the best from. Makes vinyl a bit more of an aesthetic experience than CD and I can see why vinyl lovers get more from using the format. But I still use and enjoy CD (along with streaming) myself. No longer have a TT in my set up myself but do understand the appeal of vinyl (and analogue systems).

I get it, the problem I have with vinyl is how delicate and expensive it gets to reliably turn a platter at 33.3 rpm. Amazing, especially compared to moving 0’s and 1’s around.

Seeing the problems on here from some peoples Wi-fi moving 0’s and 1’s around vinyl seems relatively easy by comparison.

1 Like

Lol, true too.

1 Like

The boring CD player is an even higher-quality piece of engineering, but it is engineering that’s moved beyond the tinkering stage. And yet, it too is obsolete, because it has moving parts. The turntable is a link to our mechanical past, a nostalgic throwback to the days when we chipped arrowheads out of flint and fought bears with wooden clubs. Like a firepit in the back yard.

1 Like

So can be a very good CD Player: Sony SCD-777ES, Sony CDP-XA7ES, Technics SL-P1200, Nakamichi Dragon CD to name a few.

Loud speaker design isn’t much younger. Just saying…

A top quality CD player is certainly a piece of high quality engineering but to the user it is still mainly just a box. The clever engineering is inside out of view but a vinyl TT is hands on and in view. Gives the user something to tinker with.