Return to multi-click play please

ogs,

Well stated - you wanted and got “sophisticated” DSP and got it. I also really appreciate DSP also (it is a must with HP’s in my opinion - 2 channel less so if you have worked on your room/setup for a whle). I have always had “sophisticated” play but that has been taken away in it’s place I am given the simplicity that I can find everywhere else. Strangely (at least to me) many here (most?) appear to have simple listening habits. In any case, I am not even asking for something new - just what was given and then taken away!

1 Like

I thought the multi-click play was fine and that a change to placate a vocal minority’s was not warranted.

It wasn’t broken before.

5 Likes

Totally agree: please give us back what we had in the first place please…

1 Like

Changing an existing behavior is always problematic, no matter whether the new behavior is better or not. I am facing this often during my job as software developer of a product with a pretty huge userbase. Why? At the beginning, individual people start to discuss about changing the behavior of — say — the Play button. Immediately advocates chime in, and soon the developer thinks that the majority of users want the change. There are some of those threads in this community forum claiming a better Play button behavior. But often it is overlooked that the real majority does not participate in any community discussions at all, and are silently satisfied with the status quo, otherwise they would not be loyal customers. Once the developer implements the change on good purpose, this silent group awakes and the shitstorm begins…

But on the other hand, I don’t really understand how one can really be annoyed or have whatsoever strong feelings about bagatelles. And it would not come into my mind that I am paying for a good Play button or that this has anything to do with being an audiophile or not. In fact I am paying for a great ecosystem, metadata, DSPs, audio transport protocols, library functions, and much more.

So why not relax, press the so-wrong play button and enjoy the result coming out of the speakers: Music.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

I wish I could relax but every time I hit play album it destroys my queue. :slightly_smiling_face:

More seriously though it seems there are two main types of user those who generally add to the queue and those who want to play something they see immediately. The previous behavior worked better for the former the new behavior for the latter.

I very rarely use play now. Usually I add to queue or sometimes add next. Now “play album” is a big button that plays now and destroys the queue. Even if I click the down arrow I get play now as the first and highlighted option. So an option I only use when then queue is empty is in my face all the time.

I think the way play track works is fine. For one click play and destroy the queue you press the small triangle and when you press the track you get the new menu for play options. I wish something similar could be done for albums where the most prominent option is not play now and destroy my queue. Especially as I usually want to add albums to my queue and not just individual tracks. (Again there are probably two camps here too.)

I can see one piece of functionality removed, but adding 1-click buttons was an addition, not a removal. The rest of the functionality works mostly the same way, it just looks different.

4 Likes

You assume that you speak for others. Perhaps for some, certainly not all. Queuing tracks neither makes you an audiophile nor sophisticated, no more than Roon’s Play button defines it’s value as music server and UI.

Agree though having an add to queue option in settings would appease those that queue and avoid inadvertent pressing of play when intending to hit the drop down.

4 Likes

Select a track or album with a right click, go up to Play, click down arrow, select Ad to Queue, done. Nothing lost in the queue. Wow that was hard, I’m worn out, but I still have my queue intact.

4 Likes

Agree, this is not that difficult, for the time being.

And for the next update, I’ll give @Sloop_John_B credit for being the first with this obvious suggestion a couple of days ago, that should make everyone happy:

I’ve seen a few others suggest the same thing since, so I’m sure @danny has noted this for consideration.

Yep, under Settings, offer two playback behavior options:

Queue Mode – Roon sticks to its original, multi step, add to queue workflow.

Player Mode – Roon mimics the one step, press play action of a traditional CD player.

Both camps are placated.

Why the Room guys instead decided to rejigger the entire playback protocol and favor the new behavior over the old is beyond me.

AJ

2 Likes

It removes the queue protection that was afforded by the previous implementation. It is now much easier to accidentally trash the play queue.

1 Like

Don’t hit the button then – just keep clicking on the row like you used to do. I’m sure destroying your queue 3 times will train you pretty quick to stay away from that shiny new button.

3 Likes

It’s not me I concerned about … it’s my family and guests.

2 Likes

how is adding a NEW option “rejiggering the entire playback protocol”? we did rejigger the ui, but the functionality is mostly the same (there is a small difference, but it’s not an easy one to find).

1 Like

and they never hit “play now” before? Given what I’ve seen in the world of pawmasher users for 15 years (since pre-Meridian Sooloos), the non-primary user always hits “play now”. Your family may be an exception, but it would be a very uncommon exception in my experience.

I agree, the previous Pawmasher had big touch friendly targets, now the options dropdown has small targets. I wouldn’t want to be Roon developers trying to please queue folk like me and the “one touch play” folk :wink:

We have some changes coming to the queue that should make the blowing away of a queue a non-critical event (even if you miss the undo button).

5 Likes

this was my argument against this design at first, but the argument that won/convinced me was “seriously? all the other touch targets are equal in size or even smaller!”

Nope, guess they need to drink more :wink: but seriously don’t get me wrong I quite like these UI changes, it’s just the destruction of the queue I have issue with.

Changing button location(s) and sequence(s) for all users is rejiggering protocol users must follow to initiate playback.

I do not have a dog in this fight. I will be fine either way. That said, I am not a fan of change for the sake of change.

AJ

1 Like