Return to multi-click play please

I was anti-no-pawmasher at first. The things that convinced me about no-pawmasher are listed below. Note that no single item convinced me it was time for the change, it was just the accumulation of many points that broke me down.

1. less mouse travel. the pawmasher was made for touch, and it hurt users on pc/mac
  2. the change in focus of your eye. The pawmasher had large font size changes and button size changes. Although fine in the past (on Sooloos) for a UI that was meant to be used from 3-4 feet away, tablet and phone users tend to hold the device closer to their faces so the change is very jarring.
  3. it was our #1 complaint from trialing users that canceled.

I was convinced of the 1 click play options because I know whatā€™s coming for queue, where destroying the queue becomes a much less important event. It was also a highly requested feature and another item trialing users complained consistantly about.

To call this ā€œchange for changes sakeā€ is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Would this be some kind of recovery as in your ā€œundoā€ option but perhaps in another place or something more persistent? How about something closer to the original functionality?

Also, I interface with Roon as much through touch screen (usually some Android device) as a mouse driven computer. You should have gone with your first instinct as the drop down are entirely too small. It is one thing to navigate a seldom used drop down occasionally and have to ā€œconcentrateā€, but Play is surely the most used functionality (besides maybe search??) and having it in a non-touch friendly size/design is another strike against this change.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s going to happen a few more times in the futureā€¦ for example, we have a whole new UI design coming in the next year or soā€¦ while some may consider it change for changes sake, itā€™s an important design change that unifies functionality on less wide screens (phones and portrait tablets).

We canā€™t possibly expect to last as a business if we the UI is locked in stone. Itā€™s not like we do this every other release, nor do we do it haphazardly.

9 Likes

The change for the queue makes it so no history is lost ever (within some large reasonable number), yet the experience is not degraded by making you see tons of historical junk all the time. Most people will notice no change, however visitors to the queue screen will find it much much more useful.

The original functionality has not changed. Youā€™ve only gotten more functionality with this latest release. You keep saying this so I clearly donā€™t understand what it is youā€™ve lost. Is your complaint fully based around the size of the buttons?

3 Likes

ā€œ3. it was our #1 complaint from trialing users that canceled.ā€

This actually does not surprise me. Your product is different enough - I have called it an ā€œaudiophileā€ product but if you donā€™t like that choose your descriptor - that I can easily see how it would turn off the one-click mp3 pirate generation. After all, they just want to jam man! Albums? So yesterday. Queue, what is a queue?

Have you decided to go for a wider demographic with a simpler (what I have called ā€œsimplisticā€) and ā€œintuitiveā€ (what I have called dumbed down) UI that limits current users such as myself?

Youd be surprised at how many of your fellow audiophiles are also jamming pirates.

2 Likes

Functionality is a much more ā€œorganicā€ thing than what you are saying here. Yes, by shrinking the size and even making a change at all you have changed functionality. I know this definition is somewhat repugnant to programmers but my personal and business experience says this is so. If I were to move your brake peddle (even by a small amount), and say ā€œbut I have not changed the functionalityā€ I might be grammatically correct but you would still be ticked off after you wreckedā€¦

For me itā€™s not the size of the target but rather the variable positions. Sitting near the middle of a list of tracks itā€™s not clear whether the menu will pop above or below. Seems like a nothing complaint but itā€™s the one I have! Looking forward to being able to use the iPad in portrait mode, and other upcoming changes. I didnā€™t like the pawmasher at first either soā€¦

Thanks for the details on the the thinking behind the changes.

1 Like

Your argument is getting pretty close to straw man territory with your last post. If your complaint is as you said:

then you canā€™t also say itā€™s limiting or that somehow only the ā€œdumbā€ or ā€œrequiring intuitiveā€ ā€œsimpleā€ can accept the new position.

If I ignore all your posts except your last one, you have a valid complaint: ā€œRoon changed stuff around and I liked it better before (possibly because Iā€™m used to it)ā€. If thatā€™s it, consider your complaint noted and it will be brought up at our semi-weekly ui meetings.

2 Likes

yah, the pawmashers definitely has their advantages - and they were received very poorly too.

Iā€™m surprised how few complaints there are actuallyā€¦ if we had never done pawmashers, and instead had the menu from the start, I think there would only be 1 real complaint (the single lost piece of functionality).

3 Likes

Well, your defensive - not that I blame you. Look, you can ignore me (and any other customer) and rationalize that this is inconsequential but moving/changing core fundamental functionality and UI is always going to be problematic.

Part of your problem is your model. You sell more of a subscription/cloud product than software as such, and sell it (and people buy it) because it is always ā€œimprovingā€. Your reminding me of some of the advantages (despite all the cons) of a product like Jriver, which allows me to test drive a peddle change and go back to the old model if I prefer.

Oh well, I guess my (and obviously others) concern rises exactly to a Kafkaesque ā€œsemi-weekly ui meetingā€! LOL!

Are you paying any attention to how you are coming across? @danny took note of your complaint, the polite response would have been to thank him and move on.

12 Likes

I suppose being the number one complaint of people trying it for not moving towards the subscription is a pretty valid reason for changing.

The new system obviously will not cause this as new trialists will not know what they were missing.

I canā€™t see many here stopping their Roon subscription because of this change in UI

So whatā€™ can a poor Roon boy to do
Except play now in a Rock 'n Roll band

.sjb

1 Like

Whatā€™s a queue again ? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Completely agree, but the flip side is that you are guaranteed significant pushback any time you make a significant UI change to feature(s) used frequently by all or even most users. Thereā€™s always going to be resistance to easily perceptible change, especially in a group thatā€™s, er, centered on an older demographic.

Just play rope-a-dope, continue to make UI improvements, and theyā€™ll tire themselves out. :wink:

1 Like

Whenever you make a significant UI change, there are going to be unintended consequences to iron out.

The answer is not to not make the changes, it is to move forward and refine the changes.

youā€™re never going to get things perfect first time.

But multi-click operations and ā€˜are you sure?ā€™ type screens are hardly ever the answer.

1 Like

The risk of destroying the queue becomes greater when ā€˜Play Albumā€™ is actually play a Single. Nothing wrong with new UI but a better safeguard is that ā€˜Play Albumā€™ or ā€˜Play Nowā€™ should mean instant play but track(s) are inserted at front of play queue to replace the current song playing and rest of queue is maintained.

2 Likes

This is the latest in a line of threads recently that convinces me that the Roon forum needs a ā€˜Dislikeā€™ icon as much as it needs a ā€˜Likeā€™ one. An ā€˜Ignore Listā€™ for users with ā€˜attitudeā€™ would also be of benefit to me (YMMV of course). :smile:

Danny
The new UI is excellent. If you as a firm try to please everybody imagine the support costs to your business. The thought of a mass of user configurable options that effectively inhibit change and progress is anathema. Keep the faith. Forums donā€™t reflect the status quo - just a snap shot of a small sample.

5 Likes

Agreed.

Known and expected. Iā€™m surprised we didnā€™t get more of it this time around!

3 Likes