RHEOS 0.7.0-1 available for Beta testing

I’d like to share some news about latest update to RHEOS, the Roon Extension designed to better integrate Denon/Marantz HEOS enabled equipment into ROON.

This latest beta release (0.7.0-1) adds the ability to control Denon/Marantz AVRs directly and control zones and sound-mode (eg direct, pure direct, movie, music etc.). This adds to the ability to stream at 192kHz 24bit and control HEOS groups directly from the ROON application.

This is in response to requests from several users who would like to access the AVR zones dirctly from the ROON interface.

In order to implement this, RHEOS explores your network to identify HEOS enabled AVRs with multiple zones and then creates “source controls” in ROON that allow switching the main zone and zone 2 on and off, as well switching between various “sound modes”.

I am releasing this “test” version via GitHub to download or as Docker images for Linux based systems and those using raspberry pi 4 or 3 as control before uploading to roon-extension-manager as I have only tested on my own AVR and would like confirmation this works across a range of devices.

In order to test please download and install from GitHub or pull a test image from docker at rheos/roon-extension-rheos. Select the" test" image appropriate for your system.

This should work as previously, but source controls for one or more AVRs discovered on your network will be created and these need to be added to the appropriate ROON output (i.e. the specific HEOS enabled AVR).

Select the output → device set up

Click on the control “cog”.

Click on “device setup”

And add the controls for “Main Zone”, “Zone 2” and “Surround Mode”

Once saved these will appear on the selected control and can be used to switch onn or off the zone or switch through the available sound modes. Sound modes are only available when main zone is On.

Please let me know of any issues, comments or future improvements. I will relaese this on roon-extension-manager in a week or so if confirmed as working.

For more information on RHEOS please look at the original thread for information on installation and use:

Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Enjoy!

Thanks to all that have given feedback.

Version 0.7.0-2 is now available on GitHub and on docker as the “test” version.

This addresses :

1. Volume control of individual AVR zones.
  2. Creepy volume (unable replicate but have adjusted algorithm and code)
  3. Intermittent loss of a player from RHEOS.
  4. Improves connection of new or disconnected players automatically.

As ever please share feedback and I will continue to address bugs as best I can.

I have only 1 AV to test with (SR6013) but perhaps those with seveal will help me with controlling multiple AVRs.

At present two ROON outputs are created ZONE 1 and ZONE 2 which need to be enabled in settings → audio (please name the Zone 1 and Zone 2 - I will see if I can allow alternative names). On selecting the main zone control (“Theater”) this creates a new Zone with selected controls (Main Zone is now called Zone 1) grouped with a volume controller. Seems to work quite nicely for me but YMMV.

Thanks to

For feedback and testing.

ok, I am on 0.7.0.-4 running and it appears stable

• go to Audio - squeezebox section
  • see two new zones (zone 1 and zone 2)
    *enable each - name each Zone 1 and Zone 2 respectively (is this what you meant, I cannot change the name yet)
  • note: I did NOT go into the advanced setup of the MARANTZ AVR and do anything there - below is a screenshot when I go into External source controls but I did NOT select anything, just hit CANCEL:

I tried then to select zone1 and zone2 as sources to play music:

1. the volume went straight to 100 on each device (first thing I check now… its a strange problem with either my environment or my settings or this zone/External Source Control feature)

2. nothing played on the marantz

3. i checked the heos app and zone 2 was not turned on (but the main zone was, strange no music)

SO, I suspect I still have to configure the EXTERNAL SOURCE CONTROLS (ESC) - and the duplicate listing is for zone 1 and zone 2…

I will pause here:

• I think I should enable both rheos: stereo choices on the ESC
  • or enable zone 1 on the upper part of the list and enable zone 2 on the lower?

Patrick

PS - you are a better man than me beating your head against this wall for a feature you don’t even use…

1 Like

Thank.

Indeed we are there - but I think it’s creating a zone 1 and 2 for each of your receivers…

I’m trying to avoid that - so your testing is invaluable!

The volume probably doesn’t know which receiver…

Let me digest - am out tonight and traveling next week on business. Let’s see what you learn!

Thanks

Peter

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback.

Version 0.7.1-0 is now installed as latest. This addresses several reported bugs and significantly develops implementation of fixed groups and control of Denon/Marantz receivers using HEOS.

This will download for those using extension manager and can be accessed via docker or installed as normal from GitHub. I recommend the latest version - test will become experimental as I continue to refactor and optimize.

This remains in beta - use at your own risk! Next focus is on stability rather than features. But ideas are welcomed!:blush:

I will update NPM if needed - not sure if this platform is being used to install.

Please let me have feedback!

I will be working on an updated readme to act as a user manual to explain new features and optimizations.

Will post when available. Am traveling in Europe this week on business so may not be as responsive as normal.

Enjoy!

Peter

1 Like