RIP Meatloaf Bat out of hell

Pete I did not read it as you did, but as sad that he did not get vaccinated.

Clearly all our heads are in different places and different people read different things in the same message

1 Like

I have no sympathy for the man. His Friends and family yea, him no.

1 Like

Are we talking about ‘Meatloaf’ the person, or his contribution to music? The topic is posted in the music section, so I presume we are talking about the music. His last studio album was in 2016 as far as I can see, so i’m not sure how his stance on covid is relevant to his contribution to music.

1 Like

Jim. I totally agree with you in terms of the covid scenario. There is a good possibility that we would not be contributing to this R.I.P thread if he has followed the recommended guidelines.
However, i’m focusing on his music and I do not believe that I will refrain in the future from listening to any of his recorded music because of his beliefs re vaccination.

1 Like

That’s fine. It’s his personal choice…although I strongly disagree with it. I still do not see how the decisions he is making in later life are relevant to his previous recorded output and it’s contribution to popular music.

2 Likes

The thread’s morphing into an “artist vs. art” debate. There are more than a few similar conversations going on in the real world. You’re going to need a bigger thread…

1 Like

As reported by Variety: According to MRC Data, on Jan. 21, the day most of the public learned of Meat Loaf’s death the day before, his on-demand streaming rose 4,650% from the baseline established since the beginning of the year. But many fans really, really wanted to own a piece of Meat Loaf, as the jumps in sales were particularly impressive. Album sales went up 18,684%, and individual digital track sales rose a whopping 33,793%.

The percentage increases are remarkable especially considering that this was not a typical example of an artist that was only racking up minimal streams before he died; Meat Loaf’s 45-year-old hits were still being consumed in sizable numbers even prior to his passing.

On the day before the news broke, Thursday, Jan. 20, Meat Loaf had 205,666 on-demand audio streams — a number that a lot of artists who’ve just put out a new album would be happy to achieve. But that figure was, of course, blown out of the water the following day, as his songs were streamed 9,344, 181 times.

2 Likes

Those are pretty impressive stats.

I played both local copies and streamed some albums in the last week.
Was looking how much better the 24/192 version of Bat out of Hell might sound, not different at all, but older albums do seem to be much quieter, as the next album was about 20%-30% louder

1 Like

The loudness wars are still in full swing, optimized for the earbud brigade unfortunately.

3 Likes

Met him in 1983 after a gig at Newcastle City Hall. A true performer, his legacy will live on, a total one off.

1 Like

I am glad that the public is expressing their appreciation for the music he provided.

With regards to resolution, there is a YouTube discussing SACDs, DSD etc which are sold on 1-2 disk sets with each release from Octave Records. I routinely order their releases.

1 Like

He will continue to provide that enjoyment to many millions through the legacy of his music.

I have been having regular visits to The Octave site, looking for some DSD albums that fit my musical tastes.
Paul was talking up some heavy rock bands and I am really looking forward to hearing them in audiophile recording quality.

1 Like

I do not want to clutter Meatloaf’s RIP thread with unrelated data, and maybe if you want to start one on Octave recordings, I certainly would participate in such a thread.

Octave recordings impact me at two levels: 1. I am vulnerable to buying recordings almost solely based upon their sonic qualities even though I otherwise would not necessarily seek out the recordings. I have many LPs like that, half speed masters, direct to disc recordings. 2. While I like the message of Octave, I am less fond of the messenger and feel it is a bit melodramatic. (I personally am comfortable with amount of drama in a telephone directory).

2 Likes