ROCK and trouble with connecting becuse of non actual version made yesterday

Hello Friends,
I need help, I configured ROCK as always, all looks good:

When I searching server to connect from another computer, it look good too:

But when I tried to connect I see:

What can I do?

Regards
Greg

@Grzegorz_Baranowski , I have moved you post to Support.

You are running a very old version of Roon server from March 2023, so it would seem that you’ve not updated ROCK for some time. Likewise, your remote (PC) isn’t using the current release either. These discrepancies may be the cause of the problem.

If you reinstall Roon OS on the web interface, this should update to the latest version of Roon server. As always, make sure you have a recent backup of your database.

You’ll also need to update your PC, and any mobile devices to the latest version.

However, you may prefer to wait for a reply from Roon support before proceeding.

1 Like

I took this version from Roon site (from link in installation guide). This old version is from yesterday… :smile:

Where can I find the newest version? Or could I update the installed?

In the ROCK Install guide, it says:

Be sure to also confirm that ROCK is on the latest version. You can trigger ROCK to update by selecting Reinstall from the Web UI.

Please do this.

2 Likes

Yes, I can do it, but I will lost all my work. Is it some other option? Also I prefer offline option because I am not sure of stable my internet in this place (I do this by phone and notebook).

You will not lose all your work. From the Help article:

Reinstalling the software will not affect your settings or your Roon Database.

2 Likes

I tried but I have this message. Is it any possibility to install newest version offline?

@Grzegorz_Baranowski, the IP address and subnet is not what I’d expect for a private (home) network. Moreover, you don’t have a gateway or DNS set for ROCK. This would explain the error message.

Please confirm what hardware you are using for ROCK, how it is connected to your network, and how you assign its IP address.

1 Like

This is very specific situation, I do it in my workhouse without internet. I am using laptop with internet via phone, I use the simplest 4-ports switch and I have to end this computer without transport to other places, it is huge and fanless and with heavy LPS. I tried to set network to set automatic DHCP (this is reason of strange IP) but there is difficult to make the laptop as router for internet. I used Windows tools, but it doesn’t work. Because of this I try to find off line solution to update roon server off line.

Since you are using an atypical network configuration, which isn’t supported by Roon, I am moving the thread to Tinkering where other community members may be able to assist you.

The IP address assigned to ROCK occurs when the device cannot obtain a real IP address from the router. In your case, you don’t have a router, or a DHCP server.

You may fare better building a server running Linux or a suitable Windows version that can provide mobile tethering, routing and networking for your workhouse network. Then run Roon Server instead of ROCK.

Hi @Grzegorz_Baranowski !

Thanks for reporting!
Could you please grab the logs from your ROCK and share them with us?
Here is a manual on how to get the logs.

Thanks,
Andrew

I know, that this isn’t typical problem. But could be more users in my situation. And could be, than they will resign from Rock because of this issue.

The solution is simple - ROCK with new Roon Server or possibility to update Roon Server without internet connection.

At end I reinstalled system on Windows, I’ll configure WiFi routing by WiFi dongle on USB in case of needs of updating.

@andrew.v sorry, but is too late.
@Martin_Webster thank you very much for all your help!
@Geoff_Coupe thank you too.

@andrew.v - when you will update Rock to newest version of Roon Server, then please let me know. I will use new SSD and want to try Rock on this computer.
This is interesting hardware - passive, fanless computer in HDPlex case with large 500W LPS HDPlex, with SotM motherboard, with additional SotM clock, with Pink Faun USB Bridge powered by superregulator Mojo Audio.

And all this professional stuff is without internet connection… :slight_smile: :smiley:

ROCK and Roon server are independent of each other. ROCK hasn’t received an update for some time, whereas the Roon server component is frequently updated. Indeed, ROCK will update the server to the latest version over an Internet connection; it doesn’t come that way.

If you want to update offline, I recommend installing a minimal Linux distribution such as Ubuntu Server 22.04 from an ISO image, and then install Roon using the manual method described here:

It’s easy to set up, and you’ll find plenty of users running Roon this way, myself included.

Alternatively, you may want to grab Roon 1.8 binaries, which were intended for those without a permanent Internet connection. This is essentially a terminal release, so upgrading is not an issue.

Thank you @Martin_Webster , I really appreciate your help. All these solutions are good, when you have internet connection. I will wait for answer from @andrew.v , maybe could be in short time available rock with new roon server. If not, then I will transport computer to home and I’ll do new installation, but I’ll have to muster all my willpower to do it. :smiley: :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.