ROCK - Bluesound endpoints ("transport lost connection" - after update 276)

Hi,

I’m using ROCK with three BlueSound devices (node2, puls2, puls mini). All three devices are grouped by Roon. Since the last ROCK update 276, there are error messages “transport: roon has lost the connection to audio device”. If I hit many times the play button, it works for a longer time.
Second test I separate the device in ROON and group them by the BlueSound App. So in Roon, I’ve only one device. This works fine for the streaming music, but I cannot use the Roon DSP and other features.

There is small home network. Two BlueSound devices and the ROCK are connected by wire, one BlueSound wireless. But there are no differences in behavior of the “transport error message”. If I create a group of any two devices or more there is this error.

Hope this bug will be fixed in the next update

best
Ralf

Hi @Ralf_S ----- Thank you for the PM. I have went ahead and made it public topic in the “support” section of the community site so we can try to help determine the cause of the issue with your endpoints.

Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this issue you are reporting with your Bluesound devices, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• While I understand that grouping the devices in the B.S. app allows for functionality in Roon, can you verify for me how these devices behavior not grouped together. In other words, if you play to these zones individually via the application to receive the same error message?

• Do you notice any patterns in behavior when Roon generates this error message? For example, are you playing the same album every time this occurs? Same sample rate?

• Where is your musical collections being stored/accessed from?

• Please describe your network configuration/topology, being sure provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to what the “chain of communication” looks like and how information is being passed across your network.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

thank you for your feedback. Today, I’ve installed the 291 update and the transport error audio device fails have minimized - only two the whole day. So I’ll have an eye of this behavior and will came back to you.

I wish you a nice christmas holiday

Ralf

Hi Eric,

since the last update of Roon and BlueOS there are many „audio device transport/connection errors“, if the devices are grouped by Roon and I’m switching between albums, artits and internet radio stations. The BlueSound devices also do an automatic reboot. If they are grouped by BlueOS, they works fine the whole day.

Maybe there is an error in the RAAT protocol between Roon Core and BlueOS.

BlueSound Node2, Puls2, Mini
Roon Core Build 294
BlueOS 2.14.10

Best regards,

Ralf

Hi @Ralf_S ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing your observations after the latest update. A happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

Moving forward, my understanding of this behavior you are experiencing is that when all three devices are being grouped in Roon (Node2, Pulse2, and Mini) you receive the mentioned error message. Can you please confirm the following for me:

• No issues when each zone is used separately correct?

• When the issue occurs the Bluesound application is not in an active state, correct?

• What is the experience like if you only group 2 devices together?

Example:

• Node 2 + Pulse2
    • Node 2 + Mini
    • Pulse2 + Mini

-Eric

Hi Eric,

in the last weeks, I’ve made a lot of test about my network configuration:

• checking all Ethernet cables with a cable tester
  • updating switches and router
  • connecting BLUESOUND devices by wire or wireless
  • enable/disable multicast with different parameters (block unknown addresses, Validate IGMPv3)
  • enable/disable autoconvert mulitcast to unicast at the access point
  • reinstall ROON Core on NUC
  • switching ROON Core from NUC to QNAP and back to NUC
  • all tests with only two BlueSound devices in the same zone

There is allways the same issue. If there are more than one BlueSound device in the same zone and I’m switching between audio sources (tracks of library or internet radio stations) one Bluesound device of the zone makes a reboot after some switches of audio source and I get the message like that: “transport to audio device fails”. I think, there was the same behavior as I started with ROON and BlueSound at January 2017. A few month later after some BlueSound Firmware updates, it works fine.

If the BlueSound devices grouped by BlueSound and I’ve only one device of this group in my ROON environment, it works fine. So I think, there is a problem with the RAAT implementation at the BlueSound side. By trying to sync with with the new source the device gets an buffer overflow and reboot or reset the network connection.

• No issues when each zone is used separately correct?
    correct

• When the issue occurs the Bluesound application is not in an active state, correct?
    Bluesound application is inactive on all mobile devices

• What is the experience like if you only group 2 devices together?
    Please see above

Best regards,

Ralf

Hi @Ralf_S ----- Thank you for getting back to me and sharing the observations you have made during your testing. The follow up, and the insight, are both very appreciated!

Moving forward, we are aware of some issues currently affecting Bluesound’s Roon integration which Mike goes into further detail about here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-bluesound-problems/35003/38?u=eric

-Eric

Hi Eric,

for informational only. The build 298 doesn’t fix the issue. after some switches between the source, the Bluesound device will reboot.

best regards,

Ralf

Hi Eric,

do you have get any informations from the Bluesound team, when they will update the devices and fix this bug?

best regards,

Ralf