ROCK Configuration - Cirrus7 Nimbini v3

I need some advice before ordering.

Cirrus7 Nimbini v3

• Intel® NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U , 6x 1.10GHz - 4.70GHz - Hyperthreading - Intel UHD 620
  • 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM (2x8GB)
  • Samsung SSD 980 500GB, M.2
  • Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB, SATA

Would this configuration be inline with the requirements of ROCK / Roon?

Any suggestion for improvement?

Thanks and have a nice WE :slight_smile:

Torben

Hi, I have an almost identical system and it works perfectly.

1 Like

@Scotav Thanks,
Is it possible to place it horizontal or does is need to stand vertical (upright)?

It is designed to sit horizontally and not vertically. The venting/cooling system is designed to operate horizontally. The internal components can be removed and fitted in a passive enclosure and there are some that take this option, it can then be mounted vertically or horizontally.

@Scotav - Thanks :slight_smile: So this way?

I have it like that and it is just fine and just slightly warm (though I don’t use much DSP or multiroom)

Though the fact that the Cirrus7 website shows it upright, and the location of the engraving on the enclosure, probably hints at hope they expect it to be mounted

1 Like

If I look at this page:

I am not sure that the “Intel® NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U” is on the list.

– o0o –

We have worked with Intel to support its Intel NUC line of products. They are low power high performance easy to install units that work very nicely as a Roon Core Server. The models we support are:

1. NUC5i3xxx
  2. NUC5i5xxx
  3. NUC6i3SYx
  4. NUC6i5SYx
  5. NUC7i3BNx
  6. NUC7i5BNx
  7. NUC7i7BNx
  8. NUC7i3DNx
  9. NUC7i5DNx
  10. NUC7i7DNx
  11. NUC8i3BEx
  12. NUC8i5BEx
  13. NUC8i5BEx
  14. NUC8i7BEx
  15. NUC10i3FNx
  16. NUC10i5FNx
  17. NUC10i7FNx

– o0o –

Or is Intel® NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U = 17 on the list?

Torben

My apologies, I didn’t read your title properly. The Cirrus website does say it should be mounted vertically for best cooling but as @Suedkiez says he runs his horizontally. My system is in a standard Intel case.

The unit I have is a NUC10i7FNH. You would be better checking this out directly with Cirrus or Roon Staff prior to purchase.

I can’t use a measuring tape properly and when the unit arrived I realized I don’t have enough space to put it up vertically :joy: But as I underutilize it, I figured I should be OK, and so far have been. If really taxed, it would probably be good to use the approved orientation.

I agree, best checked with Cirrus, also regarding the model. They are aware of Rock.

2 Likes

@support - Will Intel® NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U work with ROCK?

The processor in the supported device (10i7FN*) is a i7-10710U. That in itself doesn’t guarantee it will work though. More important is can UEFI boot be turned off and is anyone else running this setup with ROCK. If the answer to both is yes then you should be OK.

Hi Henry, I have the NUC10i7FNH. UEFI can be turned off in this unit and Rock can be installed.

1 Like

@Scotav - Thanks for your comments :slight_smile:

What about HD Audio support? Does it work?

That is a question for Cirrus. They should know exactly what chipset is on the board they use if it isn’t in the published spec.

1 Like

Is any body using the HDMI for multichannel?

Also using a Cirrus for Rock for the last 6 months with excellent results. They are very responsive on email, and will also install Rock before shipping (at no extra charge).

1 Like

Can you choose 970 Evo instead?

@wklie - I think so - would that be better? This one “970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD - 500 GB”?

1 Like

@wklie - I will do that. But first I need to make sure that HDMI output will show up with Intel NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U.

Like: