ROCK does not find anything after update

Hi!
I run ROCK on an Intel NUC and was prompted today to update Roon. I clicked OK on my Windows 10 Laptop (64 bit) and after that Roon essentially stopped working. I am afraid this is a case for @support

My problem in detail:

• My music files on the internal drive are still there and accessible from my PC but ROCK does not find any music in my database. I tried a forced rescan but to no avail.
  • Roon does not find any audio devices, though there are several on my net: Lumin Streamer, several PCs, Raspberry-based emulated Squeezeboxes, several phones and tablets (all Android).
  • I tried to restore my database from the Dropbox-Backup but I get an error message.
  • ROCK seems to be healthy when I check the web interface, it says
    Version 1.0 (build 158) stable
    Running 2 hours, 44 minutes, 43 seconds. Re-starting it did not change anything.
  • The problem is not limited to any single endpoint - no matter from where I try to access my collection, there is nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Elmar

Hi Mark,
thanks for the tip!
That was my first idea as well and it had solved similar problems before for me.
But this time: No - still nothing.

Hey @Elmar_Heimes,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

While the team is analyzing the report, I was hoping you could share a couple screenshots with me:

• Screenshot of Settings > Storage
  • Screenshot of Settings > Audio

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks Dylan!

I will do that as soon as I get home - that will take a few hours, though …

BTW: My core is active right now (or at least is supposed to be). I did not shut it down when I left.

Thanks, @Elmar_Heimes!

Just wanted to let you know the report has been received and passed over to the team. I’ll be sure to update you once they’ve completed their analysis.

-Dylan

Hey @Elmar_Heimes,

I spoke with the team, and they’d like you to try using a fresh database and see if there is any change in behavior here. Please see the steps below:

• Shut down your Roon Core

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions

• Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old

• Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install

Additionally, you mentioned above that you received an error when trying to restore your backup. Can you describe that error message please?

Thanks,
Dylan

1 Like

Hi Dylan,
thanks to you and the team!
This is definitively getting better. Forcing the new database resulted in Roon finding all my music again and I can also add and select audio zones.
However, all my edits to artwork, album groups etc. are still missing and my attempts to restore from my most recent Dropbox-backup get the following message:

There was quite a lot of effort involved in that database so I would very much like to have access to it again.
I also have a few older backups on a local disk that lack only the edits of maybe 2 weeks - if the dDropbox-file should indeed be lost, it would not be a huge deal to fall back on that …
Still I would vastly prefer the last version.

Hi @Elmar_Heimes ------ Thank you for reporting back.

I spoke with our team regarding what you’ve reported here. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

The best option is to try to restore to a backup from before the corruption occurred. Since the Dropbox backup isn’t restoring, I’d like to recommend moving that backup from Dropbox to somewhere locally on the machine — Sometimes the Dropbox API can have difficulties with the restore process, so trying it locally would be a good next step. If that doesn’t work still, I definitely recommend trying the older, local backups.

If you do not have any older backups from before the corruption occurred, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Thanks, Dylan!
I will not be able to check my available options now (it is rather late here an I need to sleep), but will get back on the issue as soon as possible. I will let you know how it turns out and if I can use some more assistance.

Best regards,

Elmar

1 Like

Hhmmm …
I managed to restore a reasonably recent backup I had locally. The restore process seemed to go well, but on restarting Roon I got this message:

Can you think of anything that can still be done?
Can at least parts of that backup be salvaged? I feel myself starting to hyperventilate slightly when I think of the amount of hours that I have put into that database …
Some of these edits cannot even be easily reproduced, like scans of album covers that I no longer have access to.

I sure hope we have not yet reached the end of the path at this point.

FYI: I just tried an even older backup - same effect …

Thanks for giving that a try, @Elmar_Heimes.

There are a number of reasons that a Roon database can become corrupted, and this can include failing hard drives, as well as other environmental factors, like power loss, or sync programs tampering with the contents of the database. It’s extremely hard to know what might be at play here, but what this means is that when Roon reads the database back, the files are different from what was originally written to the drive, and the changes are significant enough that Roon cannot load the database properly.

Sometimes, database corruption can be “latent”, meaning that part of the database is corrupted, but the database can still load. Often this latent corruption is revealed when Roon updates to a new database format, as this process requires that every record in the database is accessed.

This type of error is extremely rare for us, and generally the solution is to roll back to a backup that predates the corruption. Unfortunately it seems that the backups that you have do not predate the corruption.

Again Elmar, you have our apologies for the trouble here. We are confident in the integrity of Roon’s database and backup system, and this appears to be an extremely rare occurrence of latent corruption. If there’s anything else I can do for you, or anything I can clarify further, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dylan