ROCK on NUC10i7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus RT-AX3000, cat6 local, wifi for mobile, Starlink Internet

Connected Audio Devices

USB => Denafrips Ares II, s/pdif => Meridian component system DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

80k+

Description of Issue

I have my ROCK set up on an i7 NUC with an SSD internal drive and a fast USB 3.0 external drive. I cannot see either of these drives on Windows Explorer even though I have sharing setup correctly on my Windows 11 machines. ROCK is successfully backing up to a Windows share but it’s not working in the other direction even when I try to connect by IP address. There must be a NUC BIOS setting or a ROCK setting I missed that allows exposing SMB shares. I understand networking but am new to Roon/ROCK. I’ve searched the library and support but haven’t found anything exactly like this yet. Any ideas on how to make ROCK expose the USB drive as a share to Windows 11?

I found the answer and will document it here in case someone else has this problem. The issue was caused by the way Windows 11 installs SMB support which only enables Windows to share files using SMB. After I examined the detailed install options I noticed that it does NOT install the SMB client which allows Windows to see SMB shares on other devices. If you are trying to access files on your ROCK from Windows, when you go to Add/Remove Windows features and select SMB (you don’t need SMB Direct), make sure to open the detail view and check SMB Client.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.