ROCK Hardware Primer

I use an Ethernet switch. This allows all my internal Ethernet enabled devices to talk with each other whilst a single Ethernet cable from the switch connects to my router for external traffic.

Yep understood, I use a switch like that too. But I think the above Roon-er was talking about direct ethernet connection to the Dac. There are some Dacs that take ethernet input (the PS Audio DirectStream Dac with Bridge II add-on is one example). As an example,a few DirectStream Dac owners are bridging 2 ethernet ports of their computer, to bypass the router and a switch even, to go direct to the Dac. And the improvements can be noticed too.

Sorry folks I confused you all. It is ethernet to the music server (SOtM sMS-200) then to the DAC. So it will look like this:

Roon Server -> 1 meter ethernet -> Cisco Switch -> 10 meter ethernet -> sMS-200 -> 8 inches USB -> DAC.

Now, this is interesting. I heard differences in my system on a 10 meter cable from Roon Server to the sMS-200. The ethernet cables I tried are Blue Jeans Cat 6a and Supra CAT 8. I was hoping shortening the length to 1 meter and removing the switch in between will end up to be a better set-up.

Roon Server -> 1 meter ethernet -> sMS-200 -> 8 inches USB -> DAC

I use MS200’s digital out in different systems. Ethernet cables make no differance. Even an extra switch
 nada.
Main system.Meridian G61R. Second system Meridian F80. Just sounds great.

Nice. Hopefully the Roon lads can answer your question, since it involves Roon certified hardware (ROCK and SMS-200). Should be easy for them to test hopefully !

microRendu owners will probably want to do a similar thing and go direct from ROCK to microRendu (by-passing a router or switch). Many already are doing this ethernet bridging with great results but obviously not with ROCK.

You still only need one NIC on the NUC. Ethernet from NUC to switch, ethernet NAS to same switch, ethernet sMS-200 to same switch. Using 2 nics is the wrong way.

@danny already said ROCK will support multiple USB based ethernet adapters:

I don’t intend to debate what is the right or wrong way. I just want to know what are the supported USB ethernet adapters so I can replace the 10 meter cable with 1 meter and remove the switch or router from the equation while providing isolation on the mechanical drives.

This is OT but would one of these help with isolation?

GISO DS

You don’t need the gigabit version for audio.

So, it’s ready when it’s ready but

Any chance of some hints as to what the surprises are? :smiley:

This smacks of when people want to get in on our sound checks.

We don’t allow any non essential people in as it’s like unwrapping a present early. This spoils the surprise and we wouldn’t want to do that at a gig

:sunglasses:

I can smell it. It is getting close. :wink:

An easter surprise maybee

“Like a flower, waiting to bloom
Like a lightbulb, in a dark room
I’m just sittin’ here waiting for ROCK
To come on home and turn me on”

Same thing here. My brand spanking new NUC, RAM and SSD is waiting / collecting dust for several weeks now, patiently waiting for ROCK

You can smell what the ROCK is cooking?

AJ

Nope. With the update earlier this week, you can bet another won’t be happening for a while.

With the update earlier this week, you can bet the focus is on the ROCK now :grin:.

I use a i7 2.6KHz 16 MB RAM MAC mini that has a 1TB SSD and and 1TB HDD for back up all in the same box.

My MAC Mini has been modified to be powered with 12 volts DC and I get that from a fabulous LPS called the HD-Plex, it has 4 DC rails out, one adjustable voltage (5-19 Volts DC) and connects to the supply with XLR cables. I am able to power all my digital gear with this one power supply!

While my current collection does not exceed 1 TB, the little MAC mini never needs drivers to recognize DDC’s or DAC’s and can select songs quicker than my finger moves.

So with my modest storage, I would bet that I am not a ROCK candidate?

That depends on what exactly you are asking. The Roon-customized version of Linux, called ROCK, is only certified to run on certain (many) Intel NUC devices due to the need to simplify the range of drivers required. It will not be compatible with Mac Minis. http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

If instead, you are asking about transitioning from your Mac Mini setup to a NUC running ROCK, there are two answers:

1. Yes, a 1TB music library is well within the capabilities of a NUC running ROCK
  2. It sounds like you are happy with your customized Mac Mini, so why migrate to a NUC?

9 posts were split to a new topic: Euphony Drive OS (Discussion)