Rock just stopped playing and restarted by itself?

And again… right in the middle of the most moving fourth movement of Mahler’s 9th :neutral_face:

Version 1.8 (build 756) stable
Running 0 minutes, 2 seconds.

Time Frid 12 12:43 ish?

And again… seems to be a regular nighttime thing? Just keeping the topic alive whilst you are all busy with 1.8 tweaking :blush:

Roon Server Software
OK
Version 1.8 (build 756) stable
Running 0 minutes, 31 seconds.

Time now Thursday 18th Feb 23:38

Edit: Reset again just a few minutes later! Maybe I should go to bed!

I once had a similar problem. It was just getting worse and more often. Turns out it was a bad Ethernet cable. Just swapped the cable, and everything wet back to normal. Maybe you could give it a go.

Thanks @Jose_Vita it just dropped connection twice in a hour so I’ve swapped out the Ethernet cable between the NUC and the network switch… let’s see! :blush:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m up to 8 days 20 hours of uptime on Roon 1.8, which is nearly double the max I tended to get with 1.7.

Fixed?

I’m on 1.8 so not here… but until we can diagnose just what’s occurring it could be absolutely anything! If there was more diagnostic info in the ROCK web interface it might help, but Roon say it is during a metadata update it occurs?

It’s now happening every night, doesn’t seem to happen during the day? Any news on the inquiry @dylan (I know everyone’s busy with 1.8 and many congrats on the fixes and improvements already implemented after just two week I to the release!) - last reset 5 minutes and 50 seconds ago from 23:09 Wed 24 Feb…

Nope… still resetting pretty much every night now :woozy_face:

…aaand again… just keeping the thread alive, I’ll engage @support more urgently as time goes on as I know you guys are busy with 1.8 updates…

Version 1.8 (build 764) stable
Running 0 minutes, 14 seconds.

Time now Sat 27 Feb 10:40

OK well I think I’m going to have to stop using Roon and resort to Lumin now as the ROCK core has reset three times today, twice in the last few minutes! It’s obviously doing something ever so difficult so surely we could ask it to stop doing this until you guys have time to sort it out? Is there something I could switch off in settings? @dylan said something about metadata updates, is that metadata for my files or for Roon library in general? Because I could soon take my files offline for the time being if need be? A look into this ASAP now would be appreciated as I will be really missing 1.8 whilst it is sorted :confounded: @support

I’m using the latest version - Version 1.8 (build 764) stable

…and again - something is seriously wrong! @support

…should I try this? ROCK unstable and randomly stopping - #18 by noris

@Jose_Vita could you let me know which ethernet cabe was your problem? I’ve swapped out the connections between the ROCK NUC and the network switch, plus the switch to the router but still no improvement? I’m still having resets, very regularly now.

Of course. I just swapped the cable from the switch to my innuos statement, on which the Roon core resides. Best of luck troubleshooting. This kind of issue can be so annoying.

1 Like

Well after switching the NUC off overnight it has not reset itself for a few days - but it just did so a few minutes ago… so obviously I shall be switching off the NUC at night now as that seems to help, until the support team can eventually get their heads out of 1.8!

Did you have a look at your roonlogs? I find them quite easy to read. Maybe you will have a clue

Yes I did, but as I don’t know whats supposed to be normal behaviour in there it didn’t make much sense, Roon @support have looked and they say it is happening during a “metadata update” but they didn’t know why?

To my thinking, if it is not crashing the operating system or the hardware, but only resetting the server software, then this is a programmed behaviour in response to a recognised issue the server software is encountering. Running out of memory maybe? But if switching off the hardware completely and rebooting the operating system and the server software holds it at bay for hours and hours then… memory leak eating up available RAM seems most likely?

Keeping this alive… surely guys at @support you can cut some slack from playing with 1.8 (my version is just lovely, nothing to do here, it’s great, leave it alone!) and give me a hand? @dylan? Anyone? The damn thing just reset twice an a half an hour! The only respite I have seems to be to turn the NUC off completely until I need to listen, it seems to go for a few days without resetting then - but as soon as I forget and leave it on, the next time it decides to try a metadata update - crash!

Hey @Tim_Woodward,

Thanks so much for bringing this up again and not giving up on us. I’m sorry for the ongoing trouble.

Please, bear with us just a little longer. Dylan will reply as soon as possible - as you probably know, support is closed over the weekend.

1 Like

I was thinking… even with switching off the NUC every night this is still occurring, and when it does it is always at roughly the same time around 10:30pm, so I can’t really do much about it this end until we have some support time available to chase it down.

So, I wonder if I should try moving the Rock database back to my MacBook Air (where it used to reside) and put up with that having to be up and running so I can at least listen to music without a five minute drop out while Roon resets itself and the remote eventually connects?

I mean if we are nearly at a point where we can tackle this @dylan then could you just let me know, as it’s a right pain to move everything and I don’t really want to if I don’t need to?