ROCK on NUC NUC7i7BNH - Install Problem

Unfortunately I have the same issu on my new NUC that I bought to replace my Mac roon server.
BIOS 00000069 on Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH
error message “Failed to load ldlinux.c32” using
roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset-100000158
Is there a site where you can download older versions of the software?

Me too. I’m downloading it again now - third time…

Thanks. Only one file in there, no version number. I’m trying another new download…

I am using a NUC7i7BNH, 8GB RAM, 256GB M.2 drive, BIOS 63, UEFI boot disabled. The install media was formatted as FAT32 on macOS and flashed with etcher, and then formatted as FAT on Windows and flashed with etcher in repeat attempts. Image downloaded today from this link:
http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img.gz

I have reviewed the recently closed thread on this topic, other users noted their install issues resolved after a new image was posted 8 days ago. I am unable to find a download link apart from the one above. Is there a link to a different image that is functioning?

This issue has affected Ubuntu live installation media formatted as FAT32 in the past, but I have repeated the process and flashed the image in Windows onto brand new flash media formatted as FAT, that had never had another file system. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

@support flagging down support for you…seems this is still an issue. Perhaps someone can move this and reopen things.

Thank you for add the at support flag

All – thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback, both are very appreciated! @Michael_Noonan , I have went ahead and moved your posts over to this thread as I am trying to keep all of our users experiencing this issue in one place.

Just to offer a quick update, our techs are diligently working on addressing this issue and once the team has updated my report I will be sure to reach out again immediately with their feedback.

Thank you all for your patience during this process, our tech team is on it and we will get this figured out.

-Eric

1 Like

My original downloads were using Chrome on Mac. Yesterday I tried Safari instead. Still getting same error.

Hi Eric,

Same problem here with a nuc 7 i7 and bios 63 and image file. I also don’t know witch version, but dowloaded it from the site were teh installation notes are. If theres a solution can you let me know. I want to buy a license for life but need solution first.

best regards, jelmer

1 Like

Hi All,

Same problem. NUC717BNH. Tried many, may time. BIOS 63, used instructions on the ROON ROCK page. I have formatted USB FAT, downloaded the image file from ROON ROCK multiple times/ In Win 10 I see the USB has two items - an apparently empty identity folder and a file 46.4 MB titled roon.tar.bz2. When I go to NUC, I hit F10 to make it boot from USB and get the now all too familiar “Failed to load ldlinux.c32”. I rebooted NUC and F2 into the BIOS to try to insure the NUC was booting from the USB drive. Rebooted NUC. Same error.

I know all are giving this their best effort to address, and I appreciate it. After buying a lifetime membership to ROON, buying the NUC7i7BNH (8GB RAM), 128 GB M.2 SSD, I am down about $1200 (with membership) and still can’t get the NUC to load from the USB Drive. I am stuck at step 5 at https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide.

Any and all help appreciated. I have become a big ROON fan and was excited about having a NUC. The excitement is fading and frustration is setting in. Multiple USB drives. Multiple Flashes with Etcher. No luck.

Thanks, Arthur

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ll add my voice to the chorus. Same situation as Arthur above, same NUC, same consistent error message. Looking forward to the solution.

Cheers, Chris

1 Like

Hi Again,

No, I have not identified a solution, but in rereading through this thread it seems that v1.4 would install, and then auto-update to 1.5. Can someone confirm this is correct? If so, is there someplace where I can download v1.4?

This is not my first home-built rodeo. I have built ~8-10 systems, from home PCs to Windows Home Server (yes, I am old), to high-performance workstations (I am a scientist in a high tech area with ~ 20 workstations in my lab), plus having 6 dedicated virtual servers at work. My favorite is my uber-high end home system just recently built for my Vive VR system. It worked perfectly from Second 1 of Minute 1 of Day 1. The one thing I have zero experience in is Linux, as all my instruments run Windows (dang-it). So, while I am far from perfect (ask my wife) I have several, but not all of the fundamentals of PCs under reasonable control (but not an IT jock). Perhaps that is why I am a bit frustrated - it seems I should be able to make this work, but I seem to be missing something fundamental.

I love ROON. It wonderfully integrated my lossless music collections with my Tidal subscription. I love its integration with SONOS (I was an early adopter). What really sold me was ROON’s integration with my Audeze headphones. It led me to buy a Chord Mojo.

I am really looking forward to having my ROON ROCK NUC system running. Until then I feel like I am stuck in a Three Stooges movie (NUC-NUC-NUC). OK - sorry about the terrible pun :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Arthur

1 Like

I think the issue is being addressed as @eric noted and some time to get things tested and updated to the download site is and will be detailed as and when its done.

1 Like

@eric thanks in advance

My thanks to you and your team. Many of us are looking forward to the fix.

Cheers,
Arthur

Hi,
I too am having the same issue. I have downloaded the file multiple times, I have tried flashing from 2 different computers, 2 different flash drives, flashing zipped and unzipped.

The image file is roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset-100000158 and downloaded from http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img.gz

The NUC7i7BNH is updated with bios 0063 set on legacy. The thumb drive once flashed shows roon.tar.bz2 file and a folder named “identity”. The folder is empty. The error message is “Failed to load ldlinux.c32”.

Please help! Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry for the trouble here, guys. We should have a fix for this soon.

2 Likes

All – The fix mentioned in Mike’s previous is now available. Please re-download the ROCK image and verifying what the experience is like during the install process.

Thanks!
-Eric

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: NVME + NUC (ROCK) causing kernel panic

Dear Eric,

I tried the new version and it went very well.
My Roon Rock is running.

Thanks for your support.

Jelmer