ROCK or Nucleus versus NAS

Is it the same to install Roon on a NAS compared to a Nucleus or ROCK?
Which installation will give better sound?

I’ve moved your post from the #support:nucleus-support category to the #roon category, since your question is not a “support” question as such. You will probably get answers arguing on all sides of the question…

1 Like

Where you have your roon server has nothing to do with sound quality. Roon might run faster, searching will be better, user experience nicer… but sound quality starts in the digital to analog conversion and ends in the sound waves bouncing in your room.

1 Like

As i can see there is no advantage to buy a Nucleus or a Rock over using a nas or computer, isn’t it ?

jac

No concerning sound quality. Yes concerning many other variables that help in your listening to music experience.

Generally speaking, a ROCK or Nucleus will be faster than a NAS. It is also a more stable platform. Roon can be rendered inoperable on a NAS by a vendor update (this happened with DSM7) and it is up to a third party to figure out a solution. Roon doesn’t build/support the NAS packages.

Thanks. I don’t know why but my name is Jacques not Jacqurs.

If your local library is not big, you don’t group zones and do little to no DSP, then a NAS running Roon Server should be fine. I went from Roon on Synology NAS to Roon Server in a Windows desktop to a Roon ROCK in an Intel NUC 10i7 in the course of 2 months and I have had ZERO issues with my Roon ROCK in more than 18 months. I can’t get tired of recommending a Roon ROCK over anything else. It’s a setup and forget kind of device.

2 Likes

I suspect you mistyped your name when you signed up for your Roon account. Go to your Roon Account page (in Roon, go to Settings > General and click the “View account info” button) and update your account information if necessary.

That may ripple through to your username here on the Community forum, but if it doesn’t, let me know and I can change it for you here.

Hi. Does a Roon Rock gives a greater sound than a Silent Angel M1T ? Is the quality of cell or tablet has influence on the quality of reproduction of music ? Is Roon installed on Silent Angel M1T or on cell or tablet ? Silent Angel is a Roon Ready, does it means a part of Roon already installed on the M1T ?
Thanks
jac

Hi. Does a Roon Rock gives a greater sound than a Silent Angel M1T ? Is the quality of cell or tablet has influence on the quality of reproduction of music ? Is Roon installed on Silent Angel M1T or on cell or tablet ? Silent Angel is a Roon Ready, does it means a part of Roon already installed on the M1T ?
Thanks
jac

You are very confused about roon components and functions and digital music reproduction. It’s hard to try to explain you anything and hope you’ll understand. Start reading this forum on basic topics about how roon works and concerning digital music you can watch montys videos… they are great!

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.