ROCK restarting a couple of times at power-up before running stable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK v1.7, Nuc7iBNH.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I notice that the Roon Server Software takes a long time before getting active. When looking at the Roon Rock status (webbrowser) I notice that the Roon Server Software is restarting a couple of times after 18 seconds running. Sometimes it takes up to 4 minutes before the Roon software is running…
Before v1.7 it took less than a minute to be up and running.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Hi @Benedikt_Gruyaert,

I think the best step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

1 Like

Hi, I just rebooted my NUC and it happened again just now (11:28 PM CET).

Rgds,

Benedikt.

Made it happen again about 4 minutes ago…

Thanks, @Benedikt_Gruyaert.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi, Thanks a lot.

For your information, I rebooted my core just now this morning at 9:44 and the same happened.

I usually shutdown the core when not using it…

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with remotes finding Core since update

Hi, Just for your information, I restarted my Core just now at 18:56 CET and had the same issue again.

Hi @Benedikt_Gruyaert,

The team is investigating this still and they are hoping that we can try using a fresh database temporarily on ROCK so we can see if the same behavior occurs. Please see the following steps:

• Create a backup in Roon VERY IMPORTANT
  • Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder

After you’ve done the above, try reproducing the issue. Does it still occur? Can you make a note of the time it happens if so?

Thanks!

Hi,

I just did as you suggested (23:20 CET) and the issue is still there.

Best Regards,

Benedikt.

Hi,

Do you have any update ? I leave my NUC running so you have access to it.

Best Regards,

Benedikt.
PS: Since the problem was not solved with the new install I reverted back to the old folder

Hi @Benedikt_Gruyaert,

I met with the team to discuss this today. The technical team is currently doing some testing on this issue in-house. I don’t have any specific updates at the moment, but the team is hard at work trying to reproduce this issue. I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as I have further feedback from the team once they’ve completed their investigation.

Hi @dylan,

My Best Wishes for 2020!

Are you making any progress with this issue ?

It takes about “3 minutes, 51 seconds” to have a proper (re-)boot. Everytime the ‘Roon Server Software’ reboots after 18 seconds, so at least 10 reboots are happening before running stable…

Hi @Benedikt_Gruyaert,

I checked out internal tracker and see that there are recent updates on this ticket from our QA and development teams. I don’t have any specific updates for you just yet, but the team is actively working on this and I hope to have news for you soon. You have our apologies for the ongoing troubles, and your patience has been much appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Hi @Benedikt_Gruyaert,

We’ve recently released RoonOS (Build 186) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

Hi,

Thanks for the update! When I look at my NUC I see that I have Version 1.0 (build 183).
How do I get to build 186 ?

Thanks,
Benedikt.

Use a web browser to connect to the Web Administration Interface, and then click the Reinstall button. That should pull down the latest version of the ROCK OS and install it. Your Roon database settings will be preserved.

1 Like

Hi,

Found how to update…
It works perfectly. I can confirm the startup is smooth and the loops are gone !

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.