Rock & SD Card in Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH Not available for storage

So I have a SD card in the SD slot of my NUC. I am unable to access it as storage (music files) unlike my external USB drives. Any reason this is not supported? I swear it worked under Windows 10 Pro, is it a Linux issue?

My NUC does not have a SD Slot but my hub does.
I put in an SD card that I use with meteobridge (Custom weather software base on Debian) and ROCK sees it just fine:

[code]
Disk /dev/sdb: 15 GB, 16130244608 bytes, 31504384 sectors
15383 cylinders, 64 heads, 32 sectors/track
Units: cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Device Boot StartCHS EndCHS StartLBA EndLBA Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1 0,130,3 7,165,30 8192 122879 114688 56.0M c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
/dev/sdb2 896,0,1 735,3,16 122880 31504383 31381504 14.9G 83 Linux
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary[/code]

So is not a linux issue… It could be that the NUC you have has a proprietary SD Card Reader and requires a firmware… Rare but it happens… Back in the days Texas Instruments locked their SD readers with firmware…

Hmmm, I assume you are using an USB Hub for your SD card? And thus you can add it as a folder in Roon?

I am using a Multi Port HUB (USB-C).
I have not tried adding it as a folder because this has a custom OS on it and I am sure ROCK will have a problem reading it, So I cant answer your question directly but what I can tell you is that Linux does not have an issue seen it…

Ill try and search for an empty SD card (can take me a while searching through my pile of stuff lol :stuck_out_tongue: ) and will report back later on.

Edit: I know is a stupid question buuut… :slight_smile: When inserting your SD Card are you rebooting? Giving the OS (ROCK) a chance to see it? :slight_smile:

And another edit: found my micro sd card slot on my NUC, I wa slooking for an SD slot :stuck_out_tongue: . Will test it later.

I googled some of the Intel forums, Intel reports that it should work with the following versions of Linux: Fedora, Gentoo, Linux Mint, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu.

Reading further I see confirmation of it working with ubuntu.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else has a Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH or similar model to report back on.

Thanks again. I suspect putting the SD card in a USB hub will have very different result than using the SD Card reader in the NUC…

p.s. yes the USB drives and SD card are inserted in the NUC, prior to a subsequent reboot of the NUC/OS.

Ok so I try the on-board micro sd on my NUC and it was a no go.dmesg does not even show it coming up and lsmod does not reveal modules pretending to sdhci.

The driver is probably missing.

I don’t really see an issue with recognizing the SD card just like any other removable drive.

The SDXC slot on the NUC theoretically supports 2TB cards. 512GB cards are available (if not economical yet). Music storage is not so performance critical that SD would be a problem on those grounds (definitely wouldn’t want it as a boot/db drive).

@danny, thoughts?

its not working because I didnt add support… what card model/size?

1 Like

Transcend SDXC 64GB R95-W60MB/s - SD 3.0 and Class 10 compliant

SanDisk SDXC Extreme Pro 64GB - 95MB/s - SD 3.0 and Class 10 compliant

does the 6th gen have a full sd card slot? i have one at home, but here at my office i only have a 5th (no slot) and 7th (micro sd slot)

1 Like

6th gen is a full slot.

Yep - Full SD card slot - SDXC with UHS-I support

Whatever happened to SD Card support discussion for Roon ROCK? I’ve had two Samsung USB drives completely fail on me using a NUC7i5BNK (Slim) over the past nine months and I’m getting sick of it. Not that I’m blaming Roon for the USB failures - that would be silly - but I have a 256GB SD Card not being used that I’d really like to leverage rather than buying yet another USB drive. Just tested the it out and Roon does not see the SD card. (Beginning to regret buying the slim version of NUC with no room for a 2.5" SSD.) Thank you.

wow! what are you doing to those poor USB drives? Maybe try a different model?

SD Card support is on my long-term todo, but its pretty low on the list of things to get done.

Thanks for your quick and straight-forward response, Danny. Just ordered a NUC7i5BNH and will put my slim version up on eBay.

1 Like

My NUC is 8i5BEK and I can’t use built in SD slot also.
Please check it.