ROCK Wifi support on Intel NUC8i3

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC8i3 running ROCK

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus RT-AC86U

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Primare NP30-USB

Description Of Issue

Hello @support

I recently installed Rock on my Intel NUC8i3 and everything works like a charm except the Wifi. It won’t appear in the Rock configuration page. I have read an old post about Rock not supporting the new Wifi firmware (NUC8), but that was posted in Januari. Are there any updates on this?

Cheers!

The support of new NUC models wifi hardware will no doubt be added in due course but Danny will probably chime when with something less vague timeline wise.

Was it ever promised that ROCK should support built-in WiFi? I don’t think I’ve read that.

1 Like

For nucleus I don’t think there is WiFi but ROCK should support it as it did in the current & original releases.

Thanks for the answers.

The NUC8i3 has Wlan built in. However, for some reason it doesn’t work with Rock. I will probably use a Wifi repeater with ethernet until an update is available.

from Nucleus White Paper https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pUj-yFsAHPgTuV1TbcESA4va1_mxv1M_VQPJV___nuQ/edit#

Wireless networking is ubiquitous, and often consumers expect that every device can and should be wireless. While Roon is often controlled over WiFi (using Roon Remote on a mobile device) and RAAT (the protocol used by Roon Ready devices) is designed to work reliably over WiFi, Nucleus is an infrastructure product. Because its primary function is to act as the Roon Core on a home network, reliability is a key networking requirement. We made the decision not to implement WiFi in Nucleus, and rather to require a connection to a router or switch via Gigabit ethernet.

Hopefully at some point in the future, Roon OS will support the NUC8 wifi drivers.

What is the best way for users to be informed of this when it has been done?

Is there a web-page to monitor?
An email notification list to subscribe to?
A feature progress report to watch?
Or do updates happen automatically on the Rock?

I actually solved the problem with a Wifi repeater (Mesh). It works very well with a 20 000+ catalogue. However, it would be great to have the NUC built-in Wifi working. How often do they update the ROCK firmware with new drivers?

@Roger567 @jazMirti

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.