rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Got my rooDial up and running last night and just wanted to say it’s fantastic! The only weird thing I get is the Dial goes to sleep and doesn’t wake up unless I press it down. Spinning it does not wake it up. I didn’t think that was normal behavior but it’s not a huge issue.

Funny,
the two Dial I had until now also woke up spinning them. Seems to be an issue with the dial, never heared it from someone else. Best get a new one from your dealer.

Dear DrCWO,

I forgot to revoke my license before flashing 1.3.0 :frowning:
What can I do now?

Kind regards, Jan

Please send me your license key by PM

1 Like

Thank you for the super fast reply! I just did.

I got 1.3.0 working and I really like the new setting to change the rotation sensibility.

1 Like

Can you remind me where I can find that link you speak of? I tried looking for it but I might be missing the obvious :slight_smile:

You can find it here:

Thanks, but I meant:

“Where does @DrCWO advertise that he uses the roon api and its corresponding license (+ all of the other open-source software that he may be using)?”

Just call http://rooExtend.local when you have an installed rooExtend device running.

1 Like

Oh, sorry.

But good to see you have your answer. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Forgot about the existence of the web portal :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have two dials controlling my KEF LSX and LS50W and they work very well indeed. so much better than the craptastic Kef remote.

Just so slick and lovely in use.

great work and thanks.

2 Likes

There was mention of the Ortho Remote but I could not find any confirmation that this works as well. Design wise it would fit better here than the MS knob.

Is anyone using the Ortho? If it works, I‘d consider getting one.

bbrip,
it does not. I got one but found out that it did not deliver pulses when twisting but values vom 0 to 255. This is incompatible with my application, sorry :cold_sweat:

thanks for letting me know.

I have mine controlling my LSX and I agree. The remote is quite fussy about directivity and it’s just not such a “nice to use” experience like the rooDial/Surface Dial combo

KEF had many complaints about the remote with the LS50W and then they produced the same flimsy plastic fantastic for the LSX.

For late night listening with rooDIAL and Ropieee display is just perfect.

2 Likes

@DrCWO Hi there.

Very excited by this, so ordered a Surface Dial and a Pi Zero W to use with it - all came yesterday. Used 1.3 of your software (and 1.2 when I hit problems), bought lifetime licence.

I had lots of problems setting up the wifi.

1st - I have an existing device on the network with a 10.0.0.5 address. I saw this might cause problems, so I changed that temporarily. It might be an idea to allow setting a different IP in setup, or use an IP at the end of the 10.0.0. range.

2nd - after selecting a 2.4Ghz wifi (WPA2-Personal) network, and following the instructions to enter the password, and then it starting, and the green bar getting to the end, the setup didn’t conclude:

• Sometimes, the URL would then suddenly 404 (juping to/ from 10.0.0.5 and rooextend.local/final.html

• Sometimes it would revert to the initial network setup page and I’d have to start again

Either way, the rooextend network would still be available, and the extension wouldn’t show up in Roon extensions.

I tried a lot - with different browsers (firefox and Chrome) on both windows and linux.
I tried setting “easy” wifi passwords (eg without special characters or spaces) still didn’t work. I tried using different wifi routers (to see if it was a chipset thing) - didn’t work.

In the end I pulled a USB ethernet adaptor I had, and got it to work that way - but I do want to get it working on wireless.

I see there is an SSH server (well when I ssh to it, I get a login banner - what’s the SSH username and password?) - this might make it easier to diagnose what is going on (or maybe get the setup to log on the setup page)

It’s a lovely bit of kit / software and now it’s working, it’s great, but wifi is how I’d like to proceed. Any clues?

I too couldn’t help but noticing that the ssh port is open. It seems to accept the default ‘pi’ user, but not the default ‘raspberry’ password as is common with rpis. Ideally we could login on our own devices :slight_smile: