rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

I had a poke around after mounting the SD card locally:

• pi does look like its the local user.
  • I can’t find any logs that show anything wrong
  • Thought it might have had a read-only filesystem but the modifications made when on Ethernet are present, so it can’t be that
  • it saves the wired settings between attempts at wifi

Close to messing around with /etc/shadow to force a different password but would rather get it sorted properly, it doesn’t look like I am the only one.

Also tried setting a network with no password, still no joy

Some success. With very helpful information from @DrCWO I managed to connect Roodial to my wifi.

There were some extra steps, I am not sure why these were needed and will continue to have a look to see if I can pinpoint - but for now, I am happily spinning the dial to control my Roon setup :slight_smile:

Thank you @DrCWO for help and great software

1 Like

I found the issue - posting here in case anyone else has the same one

The network type on the access point was set to WPA2-AES (by default, I think)

When I set the network to WPA2-Auto on the access point, and then ran the setup from scratch , the autoconfiguration wizard completed its run, rebooted, and the PI was on the network

I guess the PI can’t handle WPA2-TKIP, and thus was failing (silently) at the setup.

So - use 2.4Ghz, with WPA2 set to auto.

Happy I found the issue.

2 Likes

Update: Solved it by buying RPI4B 4GB works fine now!

@DrCWO Today received my RPI zero W I had already prepared the MicroSD card with te image. I’am stuck at the moment the Wifi connection has to go over from SSID: RooExtend to my SSID AudioNet.
Simply the window doesn’t shows up rooextend.local/final.html . What can be the issue? rooextend1|690x382

If this is the reboot of the RPI following setting your SSID, I’d have a look under Roon>settings>extensions to see if RooDial now appears. I had one experience where the instruction of “your SSID showing up in green” didn’t occur, but all was working ok.

Ah! Let’s wait for @DrCWO to chip in!

I’d have a go at re-imaging the SD card and trying again, but that may not help!

It didn’t pop-up in ROON also the RPI is blinking again instead of flashing.

Probably a different IP address if it’s now on your WiFi ssid

This right over here.

1 Like

Hello Dr Oehlrich,

I seem to have got myself into a mess with my RooDial.

After installing Roon 1.8 I was playing with the new features when I noticed that my Allo DigiOne streamer was set to system volume. I absentmindedly set it to fixed volume, forgetting that I had it set that way so the RooDial would control the volume.

As soon as I did this, I also surfaced to infamous bug in Roon 1.8 (since fixed) where the control point would disappear from the Audio Zone picker, making it unplayable. Presumably I did this by changing the settings in my DigiOne. I was able to get back my DigiOne by rebooting my Roon Core, as advised in this forum, however I then had another problem. My DigiOne will not release the fixed volume setting! In my settings it is shown as “Device Volume” however in the Audio Zone picker it is shown as “Fixed Volume”. I am running Ropieee on my DigiOne.

Now here comes the RooDial problem. Whilst trying to fix these problems I noticed that whenever I touched the RooDial, the extension would disappear from the Extension list in Settings. After a few seconds of inactivity the extension would show up again, but the behaviour kept happening. RooDial was unusable.

After reading various articles on this thread, I decided maybe I needed to revoke my RooDial licence and Re-authorise it. When I tried to Re-enter my licence I got the message that I had not entered a valid license key. I took note of my license key when I bought it, I think it’s correct (seems to follow the correct format specified). Can you offer any advice on how I can get my RooDial licence back? I will use the RooDial on a different end point until I can get the problem with the DigiOne fixed.

Sorry for the long message, hope it’s clear enough to give you an idea what I should do!

This is great @DrCWO ! Just got it up and running with an eBay dial and an RPi Zero W - can’t believe how small the RPi is! Works exactly as advertised.

One point of reference for others - until the dial was paired, the RPi completely killed my 2.4GHz WiFi - frequent dropouts playing and visible signal drops using a WiFi scanner. Now it’s paired it seems fine (so far!) so I presume this has something to do with interference from the Bluetooth scanning prior to pairing?

Funny effect, but possible

@DrCWO I set up a new roodial and got all the way to pairing. The MSDial just blinks eternally. I wonder if the Bluetooth is turned in the Pi 4. I am not technical, but I don’t think anything is non-standard in my system. How can I troubleshoot?

Fred Roses

WILLING TO PAY IF SOMEONE COULD PROVIDE ME SOME TECH SUPPORT!

I am trying to set up RooDial on my system. Got all the way to pairing but my MS Dial just blinks and blinks. Willing to compensate any tech who can help me finish the job either via phone or TeamViewer. Please message me at Frederick_Roses

Does it connect via Bluetooth, the installation manual suggests it is a WiFi connection.

Wifi comes earlier in the process. Last steps are to pair with bluetooth and then buy a license.

@Frederick_Roses I also had some issues with the last step of pairing with Bluetooth…in my case I did the process in different stages and locations around the house, I’m not going to give all the details now…but what solved in my case was to go back to the flashing the memory stick step again and following religiously the steps again, always next to my laptop and the Microsoft Dial like in the videos… turned off all the possible Bluetooth interferences I could remember (mobile phone, laptop, etc)…after this when I got to the pairing phase, literally paired in ~2 secs and it has been working with no problems since…with all the Bluetooth accessories around the house ‘On’ as usual…I’ve the Raspberry Pi in a central area of my house and move the Dial around the house in my different Roon zones with no problems at all…

Thank you very much @DrCWO for the excellent and swift response to my problem. As is often the case, it was entirely an “operator error” problem. I appreciate your patience with us people for whom a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! I am happily reconnected with my Surface Dial now.

1 Like

Just to let you know:

1 Like

Does anyone have any advice on adding a second rooDial please?
I have installed rooextend onto a 2nd pi zero w and all hell has broken loose
My already setup Dial now goes from 0 to 100 in volume - trying to adjust this in Roon crashes the whole application
Getting both of them to connect to the network at the same time appears to be impossible. I’m trying to tell one to connect to a wifi extender and another to the main router - it seems this is also impossible

I’ve had to restart the application and the core machine program several times.
The new one has 1.31 installed and the existing one which was working fine has 1.30 installed