rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Think it worked on the 7th attempt.
But think my Raspberry Pi is a dud - will have to buy another one before can check it works.

It;s never straight forward :frowning:

Simon,
what Pi you use? There are reports it works also with P3B. With Pi4 ans Pi zero W I can confirm.
Best DrCWO

I can confirm rooDial works with rpi3b

Hi DrCWO just in case you were not aware about this, Darko gave you a shout out in his Podcast this week.

5 Likes

So cool, I sent him a package hoping this would happen. Thank‘s for your info I did not recognize it until now :+1:t2::+1:t2::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

I know I am probably pushing things here but any chance you can also add HQPlayer NAA to V2.0.0???

I am currently using Ropieee.xl with RoonBridge, NAA, and the “remote control” extension (+ $20 flirc usb IR receiver) - which has allowed me to map the volume keys on my Holo May DAC remote to Roon volume. While it certainly functions well enough, it’s not perfectly smooth, lags a wee bit, and sometimes get out of sync with Roon Remote app volume control.

I would happily replace with a RooDial if it supported NAA.

Interesting idea :+1:t2:
Will see what can be done when I am back from my Korfu Holiday :grin:

1 Like

Hi DrCWO,

Just purchased rooDial life-time licence. Got it up and running very easily as per the instructions.

Works a treat! Awesome having a proper “always ready” volume knob - an elegant solution that is great to use :slightly_smiling_face: Highly recommended.

Well done on your software and RPi image that makes setup easy.

Best regards,
Bruce

3 Likes

@DrCWO If the licence for Roodial is in the Roon extension setting already, can one just load up a new SD and run it up (let it install) in the same device without having to anything other than add the Wifi connection?

With the same device you had to re-enter your license number.

Changing the device you have to revoke the license on the old device first, then setup the new one and enter the license number.

1 Like

Using Pai Zero. Which after changing the SD card seems to be working (green light now appears).

Now stuck at the ‘Connecting to Wifi and restart’ stage-
• Green rectangle is full
• Does not restart automatically
• Does not show the wifi
• Manual restart does not show the wifi
• And the green light blinks at the same slow rate (not flashing)

Done same actions couple of times - same result -
Any ideas?

You got a “Pi zero” or a “Pi zero W”?
Pi zero is without WiFi!!
The Pi zero W has 2,4hGz WiFi only. So please check if your WiFi access piont also sends at 2.4Ghz and not only on 5GHz.

• Am I right suggesting that you found the WiFi at your first try and entered the credentials?
  • Then you waited until the green rechtangle was full right?

If this is true have you opened Roon after rebooting the Pi?
Do so and go to settings->Extensions and see if rooDial shows up.
If yes enable it and the green light will flash instead of blinking.

best DrCWO

Yes - that’s exactly correct.
Yes- I have gone to Roon - and no it does not show there.

Yes - you are correct-
• I have a RPi zero W
• I have both 2G & 5G wifi, only the 2G displayed in the list and was selected

• I now have the RPi flashing correctly
• Roon Settings / Extensions now displays 2 items; Roo6D and RooDial
• No P / /R are displayed
• I had already purchased the lifetime software
• Entering the license number into the Settings is not accepted
• The license number has been double checked and re-entered many times
• The white light on the Microsoft Surface dial flashes white but does not sync - and remains flashing

I have rebooted all devices 3 times, all steps are consistent, but never able to sync the Dial to the extension.

Any help much appreciated?

@DrCWO Hello
I have just read this blog and I am really interested in the possibilities offered by your application with a Dial surface, but I have a doubt about the connectivity with a nucleus? Can you confirm me that it works
Thanks

Hello
I have just read this blog and I am really interested in the possibilities offered by your application with a Dial surface, but I have a doubt about the connectivity with a nucleus? Can you confirm me that it works
Thanks

Christian,
I can confirm :+1:
Some guys reported an issue regarding wireless connection because rooDial only connect to access points supporting WPA-PSK. If you like to use it wireless please check if your access point supports WPA-PSK encryption. Other option is use a raspberry pi4 with wired Ethernet.

thank you for your quick feedback
I’m really bad at computers… so I’d rather make a diagram to see if the placement of the Rasberry is correct
Do you think I can also control the powering of the dutch&dutch 8c connected speakers by the same Surface Dial?

Add image

s

As far as I can see you have a switch (AngelBoon) and anything is connected there, also the Pi4. This is absolutely fine :grinning:
As far as I see your Auralic Streamer transports audio via AES to your speakers. They are also connected to CPL?? What is that?

:grinning:
This allows you to control the dutch8c via the LANSPEAKER application (on, off and setting)