rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

I understand, but as long as they don’t have Roon integration there will be no power off with rooDial.

D&D are working on Roon-ready firmware and software and as D&D beta-tester I can confirm that the RooDial works with the beta Roon-ready version(s), including power-on/off (sleep mode).

1 Like

Not sure if this has been asked / answered before but:

Is it possible to run two rooDials off of one RPi? I’ll gladly buy a second license because the product is fantastic, I was just wondering if this is possible to achieve without getting a second RPi for it.

Thanks!

It had been asked before and the answer is No, Sorry. This is a technically limitation.

This means two Dials two Raspebrrys two licenses. You can run SpaceMouse in combination with Surface Dial on one RaspberryPi but not two Surface Dials.
Best DrCWO

:+1: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

That’s it! I set up the 3D mouse and the installation is finally quite simple and it works really great
I can’t wait for my Dutch&Dutch to be room compatible so I can turn everything on with 1 click

Go for it, it’s really great

1 Like

Hello this a great product. @DrCWO Fantastic actually.

However, I just experienced this issue. I can’t get to the normal extension options anymore. Any thoughts on resolving?

No more internet connection between rooExtend and the Roon core. Best try to reboot the Pi. Are you running wireless?

No I am running wired. Will reboot the RPI and report back.

1 Like

Thank you @DrCWO Danke! Reboot fixed it… I should have known that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello.

I have a rooDial driving a Linn Selekt. The default push and hold behavior is to put the Linn device into standby mode. If I do this while music is playing, the device briefly switches into standby and then powers back on and continues to play music.

Is it possible and reasonable for you to modify your standby logic to first test if Roon is actively streaming to the endpoint and, if so, pause playback before initiating standby?

Does your software happen to auto update or is taking an update a matter of reflashing?

Thanks very much for your outstanding products!

Greg,
this is a good point!

I tested with my audiovolver and there standby powers off the device so it never comes back. I will see if I can include it in v2.0.0. This version is coming out soon.

But one more question. What you have to do to wake up the Selekt. Log press again?

Thanks’ for your hint.

Best DrCWO

A single press, which begins playback, is enough to wake the device. I’m currently in a different location and can’t check the behavior of a long press. I’ll be back in that location tomorrow (US/West Coast Time) and can explore it then. I’ll let you know.

I wonder if there would be any unexpected side effects of simply firing a pause before every standby vs. only doing so if the endpoint is in a play state. Might be easy just always do pause, standby.

Thanks!

Probably no side effect :grinning:

@DrCWO asked:

Here’s what I see:

• I have two Linn Select devices with rooDial + Surface Dial on one and roo6D + Space Mouse on the other

• When music is playing and I do a “Stand By” gesture on either rooDial or roo6D, I sometimes see a behavior in which the device goes into Stand By mode and then quickly turns back on and music continues to play. This does not happen 100% of the time but it happens more frequently than not and I haven’t tried to figure out what might cause the behavior to be inconsistent

• If music is not playing, the Stand By gesture works as expected

• When the device is in Stand By, additional Stand By gestures have no impact. Tapping the Dial or Mouse once, which is the play gesture, causes the device to wake and music playback resumes

I believe you can address this behavior by issuing a pause before you issue the stand by request. It seems, though, that this is a Roon issue more than your issue since a reasonable API user would expect “stand by” to put the device into stand by whether or not that involves a “pause” step.

If this were me, I would probably report this as a bug to Roon rather than hack the fix I previously proposed. Whether you or Roon fix it, it would be nice for it to work.

Thanks!

OK, I got it and will fix it :+1:

Anyway, have you ever tried:

• Play Music
  • Go to the volume slider on your iPad or PC
  • Press the Standby Buton there

Doing this playback also restarts? If yes it is a Linn/Roon issue. But nevertheless I will implement the fix.

Thanks DrCWO

A note on Linn standby: In my opinion, switching it on and off via the standby function is pointless. Because it doesn’t anything except switch off the display. I measured the power consumption of my two Linn Streamers (Klimax and Akurate). Both consume approx. 31-32 watts in active operation. If the two are put into standby, the consumption is still around 30 watts. If you want to switch off the devices effectively, this only works via the power switch. Incidentally, the same behavior was also shown by the PS-Audio Direct Stream DAC that I owned. However, I cannot say whether the standby of the Selekt is more efficient. :thinking:

For those who don’t care about the 32W (save the planet!) it might be a comfort feature to turn off the display :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buying high-end equipment is an efficient approach. None of my devices will ever end up in the e-waste. :wink:

1 Like

If you like high-end gear you should get one of these units as long as stock lasts.
Senic Nuimo Control Starter Kit | Sonos

Together with @Klaus_Engel I made it to control Roon and integrate it in rooExtend. There will be an image for the Pi and also a second one for the Nuimo Hub shipped with the Nuimo.

I never saw a better control device, believe me. It has a sensor surface for swipe and touch gestures that also can be pressed and the wheel feels so haptic without any tolerance. In my eyes a perfect product! Look for the NUIMO videos in the net. Made in Germany (proud of) :+1: :+1:

In the new SD-Card image v2.0.0 Roon Bridge is also included for free :slight_smile:

If you are interested in it and in the improved “Standby” implementation for rooDial, roo6D and rooNuimo please let me know. I’l send you a link where to download the release candidate for v2.0.0 of rooExtend.

Best DrCWO

1 Like