rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Managed to set up the Raspberry Pzero with no problem - following your clear instructions, all was set up correctly and I could see RooExtend showing as an extension in Roon. But today in Roon itself the extension doesn’t show up as discovered. When I select the view extensions, it says RooExtend was discovered x number of hours ago?

Will it then maybe also be available as an installable package for use on a Pi that’s already running some other stuff?
So no need for an entire SD card image, just a apt install package for Buster?

Not planned at the moment.
Most people, other than you, are not skilled enough to handle linux. My idea was to make it also work for them. So easy steps and only the image at the moment.
If you are an experienced Linux guy just mount the card find the rooExtend service, pick the executables rooExtend and event and copy them where ever you like.
Doing this there will be no support from my side and also no garantee that it will work.

Delete this entry and reboot the Pi and roon. The Pi should find roon, they have a dicovery protocol in the API that I use.

Thank you. I will buy a dail and pi and give it a try.

Verstanden. Thanks for the info. I can understand that providing support for all the different setups would become nightmarish :slight_smile: .

It would definitely be great to drop it in existing rpis. I already have one running acting as my intranet dns server. If I could just drop in a deb or an npm package, that would be awesome.

1 Like

DrCWO: I just got my pi zero w and my surface dial and was excited to get it going. I’m having some initial trouble however. I’ve burned the image and set up my pi, but the light does not flash upon boot, it just goes quickly to steady green. I’ve waited awhile anyway (15 mins) but the rooExtend wifi has never appeared. Suggestions? (also, is this the route you prefer for support questions?)
One thing: I burned my card using balenaEtcher from my iMac, not from a PC. This shouldn’t matter at all (I’ve set up many pis this way before), but thought I should let you know.

disregard for now…I think it was likely due to using a card that wasn’t formatted in MS-DOS FAT format. Retrying now.

For anyone following this thread who is considering rooDial but is still on the fence: Stop waffling! This is fantastic. I was already using an OSMC remote with Ropieee but I’ve stuck that in a drawer as this is a far superior solution. Go for it! (Amazon - Pi zero w w/case & power supply = $27; surface dial =$84)

4 Likes

Exactly my sentiments too! :+1:

4 Likes

Thumbs up here too! and just downloaded and installed the latest release V 1.1.0 works an absolute treat - thanks DrCWO

4 Likes

I ordered my kit (Dial, Pi zero with case, powersupply, sdcard) yesterday. Should arrive on Wednesday. Looking forward to using it!

1 Like

Great to see so many happy users here. I wonder if there is a way to add this to a roon endpoint running ropieee on a pi3. Does not make much sense to me to add another pi just for volume control.

Sorry not yet!
ropiieee did not like to integrate it. I asked and they denied.
Please get to them and ask.
Maybee they change their mid if enough of their users ask for it.

1 Like

Isn’t this just a matter of a roon extension running?

Harry allows for Alarm extension, not sure why he wouldn’t allow this one unless it requires some other overhead.

Seems rather a heavy install needing a 32GB SD card… is this really so huge? 8GB is pretty huge already for a RPi OS

It is not, even 4GB should be sufficient. Try to buy 8GB, 16GB 32GB, all nearly the same price.
rooDial is not open source therefore a distributen with the extension manager isn’t possible as far as I know.

Dr, I’d suggest two updates to your documentation:

1. You indicate a Windows 10 PC is required but that is not the case. A Mac with balenaEtcher handles this just fine.
  2. While it’s true that there is no significant price difference between 8/16/32GB microSD cards, the real difference is that many of us already have extras lying around the house. Since you specified 32GB I bought one ($8) but I really didn’t need to because I have several 8 & 16GB cards lying around.

Please update to indicate that minimum 8GB is required.

I too have many older 1/2/4 gb cards around that I can I hope use? What is the minimum?

How many zones can this support for example in a group of zones will it work or is it one zone only?

@DrCWO I hope its easy to add wifi SSID and password option without having to use ethernet as that requires a dongle for the Zero.

probably should read the site info and all of this thread :blush:

1 Like

Sorry for that, I thought of customers without material already available :sleepy:
I will change that.

1 Like