rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

I got a new Pi Zero set up with a new rooDial license, I went to a secluded spot and the problematic Surface Dial paired right away with no issue, thanks!

1 Like

DrCWO
I purchased the roodial lifetime product. I nstalled it and the surface dial would not connect. So i reinstalled the os now it says my product key is invalid. can you help?

Hi DrCWO

I have been a very happy user of RooDial with my ZeroW for some time. You helped me get the (10.0.0.5) URL working at the time.

It was rock solid since then. I thinl I was on v1.3.something

I just caught up with this thread, and saw the new extension/licence manager and - for me, exciting - haptic feedback option

So I downloaded 2.2, followed the instructions, flashed, did the wifi association, rebooted it. I then had rooDial 1.5.1 available.

So I re-entered the licence, selected my zone, selected haptic feedback option - and it worked. Great.

For about 30 seconds. The extensions then disappeared, and then re-appeared.

and that is what happens now. I get between 30-90 seconds before they disappear again, then re-appear. I have tried disabling the new licence manager, disabling the haptic option, all possible options. No luck

This happens whether I am actively using the Dial or not.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

I have v 1.3 still available locally so will revert if I have to - but the haptic feedback is v cool, so I would rather not. Happy to debug if needed

George

quick update.

From looking at the logs for my switch and wifi access point, the ZeroW is on the network constantly - so it’s not rebooting or losing network connectivity.

HTH

Shutdown the Pi, Shutdown the Roon Core, reboot the Roon Core reboot the Pi.
get back to me if you issue stays.

With v2.2.x you can enter http://[IP of the Pi]/log.html then you see what is happening.
If necessary mail this to info (AT) definiteAudio (DOT) de.

Best DrCWO

great. Did what you said, in that order - no problems since.

Will come back if anything reverts. Thanks for speedy help as always

log.html very good feature too.

1 Like

Just updated all three of my rooDials to 2.2!

Sorry if this has been asked before @DrCWO, but is there an update on playlist functionality for rooDial? I keep one on my dinner table and would love to start a dinner playlist without having to reach for my phone, tablet, etc. when entertaining friends and family.

The haptic feedback was a great addition by the way.

Thanks!

Sorry, not yet, but will come. We had to focus on rooWatch during the last weeks.

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing the same issue in the last 2-3 weeks, changed batteries, re-paired but only restarting Pi works unless I just wait for it to work. I haven’t check the logs (Yet).
I am also on 1.5.1

I am a very happy ‘first hour’ rooDial user and was still using v1.3 until rooWatch came out (great app!). With 2.2.1 (and 2.2.0) the rotation sensitivity of my Dial has changed: rotating increases/decreases the volume in very small steps, even with the setting at 100 (10dB with a whole turn). Can I change this?

I did change nothing regarding rooDial.
Please try to reboot the Raspberry and retry. If the issue stays I will try to reproduce.
Best DrCWO

After a reboot one complete turn is about +/- 22 dB with the 100 setting and+/- 15 dB with the 68 setting. It increases/decreases with decimals xx.1 xx.2 etc.

Hi @Jan_van_der_Meij1,
I tested this case right now. Flashed a new SD-card with v2.2.1 paired the Surface Dial. I cannot reproduce your issue here. If i twist the Surface Dial in the default setting (I only set the zone, nothing else) I get aprox 15dB on a quater turn of the Surface Dial. Please try to reboot your Raspberry and report if this fixed your issue.

If not try to take out batteries after the reboot, reinsert them and retry.

Best DrCWO

Dear @DrCWO I have rebooted my (Zero W) Raspberry twice, took out the batteries of the Dial, installed new batteries in the Dial, restarted my Roon Core (on Synology) and also rebooted my speakers (Dutch&Dutch 8c). Nothing helped. In addition to the problem, the long press (speakers standby) doesn’t work anymore with the Dial. Also, sometimes the Dial becomes even more unresponsive (even smaller volumechanges when rotating). Meanwhile the RooWatch app works as expected, including changing the volume with the crown and standby. Could it be that RooWatch interferes with rooDial?

No, they are independent Roon Extensions.
Would you please send me the log you get via htpp://[ip of your pi]/log.html to info (at) definiteaudio (dot) de

Thanks DrCWO

I have sent you the logfile.

1 Like

Hi @Jan_van_der_Meij1,
I uploaded v2.2.2 Beta 1 here, that hopefully fixes your rooDial issues using the D&D and also allows a stable “100” setting.

Pleas download and let me know.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Dear DrCWO,

Both the rotation sensitivity of the Dial and the 100 problem is solved with this version :slight_smile:
The volume now changes in steps op 1 dB and setting the rotation sensitivity to 100 actually shows 100 in the dialog screen.

In addition, long press to bring the D&D speakers in standby now also works again.

Thank you so much!

Kind regards, Jan

1 Like

Hi @Jan_van_der_Meij,
happy to hear this :+1:

Is the sensitivity also ok for the oder devices in your house?

I do not normally use the Dial for my other devices, but yes, this also works as expected.

1 Like