rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

rooMax would be a great place to send more commands to rooADI :wink:

EQ on/off
Balance
Input Source
Device Setup selection
Toggle

One other suggestion is it possible to have an ALL Volume setting vs. choosing between Line Out/Phones/IEM? I find I have to go into the Extension when using headphones.

Safe travels @DrCWO!

1 Like

Do you think we might go the other way also, a minimal button like Flic to basically have in your hand/pocket?

Hi @RBM now that you’ve had the Quick Keys controller a few days what is your conclusion?
I’m sure there are a few of us out in “community land” that are thinking of making a purchase

Thanks in anticipation
:pray:t4:

It’s a very nice little beast with endless possibilities, it appears
 :wink:

So far, I have hacked together a few different use cases:

• Roon (volume control in Roon, play controls and playlist loading via RoonCommand)
  • HQ Player (volume control, play controls, transport loading and filter/shaper switching via hqp5-control – I did a small writeup here)
  • Spotify (volume control, play controls, device switching and playlist loading via Applescript and shell scripts)

A bit nerdy, but it works like a charm. If you don’t fancy the hackery, just wait for the good doctor to release.

2 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply, I’ll give it a go, I might need a little learning to configure it but it’s worth a try
 :pray:

1 Like

Keep in mind that you’ll need a bit of trickery to make the dial work with Roon for volume control (basically you configure the dial for volume control in the Xencelabs app, intercept the volume commands (I use BetterTouchTool on a Mac) and map these to little shell scripts with RoonCommand – or send keyboard shortcuts to the Roon app running on the same machine the Quick Keys is connected to).

RooMax could be a great place to be able to control the MiniDSP product via their API also.

1 Like

@DrCWO

Glad to hear that the update is coming.
Quick question - what do you mean by “twisting the dial” - press and rotate?
We already can seek by rotating, so interested to know what other movement can be integrated.

My idea is to offer a second layer so you can toggle between the layers by long pressing the Dial.

So long pressing the Dial will toggle to Layer 2 and result in a double haptic buzz so you know in which layer you are. For this second layer you can also customize the press, double press and tripple press by different commands. Also in Layer 2 rotating the dial will result in seeking.

Long pressing again will switch back to Layer 1 and result in a single haptic buzz. Now the customized commands for press, double press and tripple press will be active again.

So you will loose the customizable functionality of long pressing but get three additional customizable commands in Layer 2.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Sounds good. Love the idea of having a whole set of additional shortcuts and the buzzing is a nice touch to distinguish on which layer you are.

1 Like

Just got two of them: one for the kitchen table and one on the nightstand. I use them for quick playlist access, basic track controls (next) and turning off my systems. Nice little buggers.

1 Like

How does that work, do you need the Flic Hub?

In my case they’re connected directly to a Mac mini M1 that I have running for various tasks (Roon, Plex, etc.). In the Flic app I have loaded a few Plugins that run shell scripts for various tasks (those related to Roon talk to RoonCommand).

Interested!

Yet again i’m unable to use my Roodial (Microsoft Surface Dial) as it appears the sensitivity has gone haywire again - previously i had a similar issue with the sensitivity using the dial as a volume control, where one small turn of the dial changed the volume by huge amounts but now it’s the play/pause ‘press’ function which is taking one press and skipping a massive amount of tracks (e.g yesterday it took one short press, which was meant to start a paused playlist, but resulted in it skipping through the hole 10hr playlist).

I have reset the Raspberry Pi and reconnected but no joy. Previously the problem was fixed by downloading new software that auto updated so i’m assuming i’m on the latest software but this isn’t a thread a keep an eye on so a lot could have happened in the meantime. Any ideas anyone ???

1 Like

Can you skip manually track by track using the Roon GUI?
Sometimes tracks are no longer available at Qobuz or Tidal and those were skipped by Roon. Please try this first.

Please open Settings/extensions and look what release the rooExtend License Manager shows. Should be v3.3.3

Best DrCWO

Hi Dr, The playlist was made up of songs held on my hard drives so shouldn’t skip tracks. However my version number is v1.5.7 so assume that is the problem ?

I thought this had an auto update ? I’d appreciate some directions of how to update if not as i have a terrible memory and can’t remember what i did last time !

Thanks in advance.

Hi Richard,
Autoupdate is available for releases bigger than v3.0.0 an only on Pi Zero 2W and Pi3/4 as the new image need ARMv8.

Please find the download link here (http://diy.rooExtend.com) and download v3.3.3 for ARMv8 for your Pi.

Best DrCWO

All sorted - thanks for the help, wish i could remember what needs to be done rather than keep bothering you but grateful for the quick responses.

1 Like

@DrCWO Looking forward to the second layer options. Any idea when you will be able to offer the first version for us to try?