rooDial technical integration discussions

Hi @Guy_Maurier,
I am travelling this week and don’t have access to my development system.
Please drop my a line after Feb 1. so I don’t forget and I will get into it.

As far as I can say from here there are users using this incremental feature with the Logitec Harmony extension controlling the volume by IR and this works.
Best DrCWO

Hi @DrCWO ,
Will do! My amp is linked through RS-232 to Roon providing full control (volume, source, power) from Roon. It is working fine from Roon.
We’ll discuss it at your return.
Thanks,
Guy

Hi @DrCWO,
Moving my earlier post here as requested.
In an attempt to rule out some possible causes for my extensions disconnect issues I did the following:
Turn off Ropiee client to remove it’s remote control extension from Roon
Turn off the rooNuimo Pi to remove it’s extensions from Roon
This leaves just the rooDial (and corresponding rooExtend) extension in Roon
All music end points are Ethernet connected and none are streaming music
I powered down the rooDial Pi
I rebooted the Roon core server
I started a Wireshark packet capture to capture the IP traffic between Roon and the rooDial Pi
I powered up the rooDial Pi - which is Ethernet connected to the same switch as the Roon core server
At this point, there are no wi-fi connected devices, no music playing and the rooDial and rooExtend extensions are discovered by Roon (and no other extensions).
Now I simply waited for 2-3 minutes, playing no music nor changing anything in Roon
The rooDial extension disappeared from the list of Roon discovered extensions.
With only this extension active, it reinitialised much quicker than before and the rooExtend extension didn’t seem to disappear at all. A later test with music playing to the Roon bridge on the rooDial Pi didn’t kill the music playing, unlike before with multiple extensions active - presumably sufficient data is buffered to cover the much shorter outage?
In the rooExtend log, it just reports Error: socket hang up .
The message before that is minutes before when the rooDial got paired with CORE
In the Roon server log, it just reports Info: [roonapi] [apiclient 192.168.1.89:52920] disconnected
The messages before that are multiple instances of CONTINUE Changed {“message”:“Enter USB-Stick to save License Keys.\nTo restore the License Keys enter the USB-Stick with the saved License Keys before boot.”,“is_error”:false}
In the packet capture, I see Roon and the rooDial Pi chatting quite happily on 3 separate connections until Roon sends FIN,ACK & RST,ACK from port 9300. The rooDial Pi responds by sending FIN,ACK to port 9330 on the Roon server and the IP traffic ends until the rooDial Pi sends SYN,ACK to port 9330 to restart things once more.
So I don’t think this is a problem with rooExtend, the Roon server clearly ends the connection on port 9300, which terminates things. But why? And why does it appear to only affect my setup?

Hi Paul,
thanks’ for the move.

Very strange, never encountered that before :thinking:
I would be interested in the output of http://[ip of your rooExtend Raspberry]/log.html after rooDial has disappeared. Would you please be so kind to send it to my e-mail. It is: info (AT) definiteaudio (dot) com.
Thanks’ DrCWO

Indeed, until recently neither had I. Everything worked just fine until the last couple of weeks!

I assume that the /log.html page is a recent addition to rooExtend?
My rooDial instance is still on v2.1.1 and I get a “page can’t be found” errror.
I’ll upgrade it tomorrow and try again.
Thanks… Paul

Hmm,
as far as I remember v2.1.x should have it included. Please try http://[yourIP]/index.html to see if you gut the correct IP and rooExtend is up and running.
Best DrCWO

Hi Paul,
I now have now read your mail in detail and understood what you wrote.

Without log frim rooExtend I don’t have a proof but it seems to me that the Roon Core terminates the communication for what reason ever. If he does so, this will recognized by the Extension that got terminated, in this case rooDial. After this event, rooDial terminates itself (not the rooExtend License Manager) and restarts. This exactly corresponds to your observation of disappearing rooDial with a rooExtend license Manager that continues to run.
If the connection to the License Manager got disconnected by Roon Core the License Manager will terminate all other Roon Extensions and restart the whole rooExtend application.

Please try this:

• Go the the Roon Extensions settings (after having powered down rooExtend) and press the “View” button of the “Autorizations” section. Remove all the entries here.
  • Next reboot the Roon Core and if it is back again reboot the Pi with rooExtend.

After this procedure only the license Manager should be visible and you have to enable it. Next rooDial should start and you also have to enable it.

Now wait again some minutes and observe if the Roon Core still drops the connection.

Please also try to use different Ethernet wires and a different hub. For me it tends to be a hardware issue…

Best DrCWO

… and if you like try the latest beta. It will be released in some days as v2.2.0 and has rooWatch for the Apple Watch included :slight_smile:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iUe47AxhrEKR3j8xNXSjSXfybHSs2xwC/view?usp=sharing

Best DrCWO

My problem with extensions being killed by Roon only occurs when running Roon under Linux Mint (it works fine under Windows 10). And it affects all extensions, not just rooExtend.

Hello again DrCWO,
Is it possible to connect to the Raspberry Pi located in my network using the IP (ethernet connection) to check the settings (bluetooth, wifi, etc…).
Thanks again.
Philippe

Hi Philippe,
thank you for re-posting.

You can access http://[IP of Pi]/index.html to make the WiFi settings or http://[IP of Pi]/log.html to see the log output of rooExtend and all its extensions.

Best DrCWO

I installed the software on my RPI and installed the roodial. The surface will not connect, i reinstalled and I get the attached. I saved attached a usb and it did not restore my license.

If you have the original email, try copying and pasting the license code in ,that is the same as restoring from USB and I have always found it easier to paste it in (as long as you are not changing the Pi)

1 Like

once you paste in the code hit enter before you save

1 Like

Thank you, but I have tried that to no avail.

Christopher are you using the same Pi?
I ask because RooDial etc lock themselves to a specific Pi until they are released.

You may need the good Doctor to pick this up tomorrow.

1 Like

That fixed it! thank you

I got it working, i was just not hitting enter before save.

2 Likes

OK good news, I guess I paste mine with the carriage return included as I have never even thought about it.
Enjoy using it, they make changing the volume fun :laughing:

2 Likes

@DrCWO not sure exactly from which version (currently I’m on the latest 1.5.1), but for some time I’m experiencing a strange issue with the Surface Dial.
Basically the rotation action (in my case linked to volume) simply stops working. The button press action works ok.
This situation resolves by itself after about a minute or two, or by restarting the Pi.
Obviously this is rather annoying as I need to adjust the volume in a specific moment and I can’t.

Volume control itself is not the issue. During the time when RooDial is unresponsive, I can still change the volume either from the Roon Remote UI (iPad/iPhone/etc), or even from rooWatch.

When this happens, there is also no haptic feedback. Also in the extension menu, it is not showing the L/R indicator.

I had a look at the logs, but don’t see any errors (except for constant errors about 1.1.1.1 being dead). See below the logs:

Mar 09 09:58:00 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: ***** startEventCapture
    Mar 09 09:58:22 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 09:59:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:00:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:01:52 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:03:01 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: ***** events disconnected
    Mar 09 10:03:02 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:04:12 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:05:22 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:06:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:07:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:10:12 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:11:22 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:12:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:13:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:14:52 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:16:02 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:17:12 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:18:22 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:19:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:20:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:21:52 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:23:02 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:24:22 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:25:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:26:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:27:52 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:29:02 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:31:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:32:32 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead
    Mar 09 10:32:44 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: ***** startEventCapture
    Mar 09 10:33:42 rooextend rooExtend[30163]: host 1.1.1.1 is dead

Any idea how I could resolve this? Or is it something you are aware of and should be fixed in some upcoming version?

Thanks,
Stefan