rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Did not know that France also has a firewall now (sorry I’m kidding) :wink:
Installed a fresh Chrome and also no issue there.
Did you run Pi-Hole or any other DNS service that did not give you the right IP?

Try to ping drive.google.com from your console. You should get a response from 172.217.168.238.
You also can try in the browser to access https://drive.google.com

Best DrCWO

Thanks Doc but I solved the problem with disconnecting my google account using Chrome, now I got access to your folders and successed to download that I was looking for.
I’ll make a try of your new version of rooExtend.
Congrats for the job.
Texas_tattoo

1 Like

Thanks, there was no hci1 in my first try but with the new card i got similar output. OK, this looks good so far but after just pasting in my nuimo serial again and saving the extensions vanished from roon, waited a minute or so, nothing, so i restarted the pi.

Now several minutes later, no sign of rooextend not in roon also not on rooextend.local.

I Stop everything now and connect a small monitor to the pi to see whats going on while booting or changing settings in roon extensions.
so long…

Congrats, Herr Doktor. :partying_face:

Happy to report that the updates were entirely uneventful, on both my Pi 3 and 4.

1 Like

Starting rooExtend stalls at this point:

So far so good. However, the display on the TV is now a bit strange. Instead of a full image (as before) I now have a smaller image that doesn’t fill the screen. Behind is the blurry display of the image in the outer border. hmm…

Same Chromium settings as before. Seems DietPi handles that different. Wonder why??
Ever tried to reboot with the Screen on an connected?

Yes. But the same behaviour.

I installed the updates on one of my rooextend boxes and unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the DAC connected to USB. I have three others also connected to usb so I’m holding off on trying those.

As soon as the USB DAC is attached the extension dies and also am unable to pull up the local IP to check status. Roon bridge is working as Roon can see the DAC. As soon as I unplug the DAC, the extensions comes back online.

This DAC did work previously. Here’s the log:

Nov 24 09:34:26 rooExtend rooExtend[7196]: Audio device:  Holo Audio Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanc Card: 1
Nov 24 09:34:26 rooExtend rooExtend[7196]: Caught exception: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'found32')
Nov 24 09:34:26 rooExtend rooExtend[7196]: Exception origin: uncaughtException

Currently no idea :thinking:

And I’m missing the reeboot command. But that doesn’t matter, I’m back to V 2.3.2 now.

Hello and congratulations on your release!

I’m in the process of upgrading my extend instances. The process is raising some questions for me.

I have two wired and two wireless Pi 4’s. I’ve updated the wired. I’ve used a USB stick to persist and restore settings. In each case, I had to manually re-enable the license manager, manually re-enable the rooDial extension, and then re-pair the dial.

The license carried across, but the enabled state and the dial pairing did not. Is this expected for this 2.3.2 → 3.0.2 update? Does the auto update implemented in 3.x improve upon this so that there won’t be use interaction required?

I’m now trying to update my wireless instances and I’m not sure what to expect. I saved settings, flashed, inserted the USB stick, booted. I waited long enough for the new instance to import settings, then pulled the USB stick. I was interested in seeing if WiFi settings would be carried across. Based on what I see, I think what happened is that WiFi settings were applied but the rest of my settings (including my dial license) were lost. I was able to re-apply the dial license and re-pair the dial.

I’m hoping the 3.0.x auto update works for these wireless devices as well as for the wired. I don’t understand if your update model is able to address drivers and OS or if it’s just app bits. I’m sure we’ll understand soon :slight_smile:

I do have a feature request. A couple of my devices are in locations that cause the status lights to visible, so I turn them off in settings. The current setting indicates that they’ll be restored to “on” when the Pi reboots. If your update model is going to be doing reboots, is it possible for you to either make the setting permanent or add a “restore previous setting” option?

Thanks for all the work you put into this!

This is correct, enabling and pairing cannot be transferred.

Yes, no more SD-Card programming no more extra steps. All will be one automatically in the background :+1:

I tried to restore all, WiFi and Settings but seemed not to work sufficiently. After being reconnecting to Wi Fi pease take a look at the USB-Stick. Delete the file rooExtend_wifi.json plug the USB-stick and try to reboot. Hopefully it should connect by WiFi and restore the settings incl. licenses now.

It will also update the wireless PIs. I use the standard Linux update mechanism with cryptographical signed apt-packages. Gold standard to avoid any side loading of malware :slight_smile:

I’l put this on my list, good point!
Best DrCWO

I’m through the updates. What I believe happened is that the update process ingested (and deleted) the settings file, applied WiFi settings, but did not apply anything else. Reboots didn’t help.

This is great.

Thanks!

1 Like

@DrCWO I assume we DON’T HAVE TO do the USB backup - this is a PITA on a Pi Zero W2 and if you have a few rooExtend devices (I have 5 I think) takes up a lot of additional USB sticks as each one has to have its own stick.

Thanks for the update. Following the instructions all went smoothly except adding the extensions for device control. For some reason the Meridian serial control does not show on the pi that I have rooExtend installed on. It does still show on my other pi. Any simple way to update?

Right, you don‘t have to.

The first bug was found!
Connecting a USB DAC that has no ADC crashes rooExtend. Pleas keep your rooExtend Raspberrys on I will provide an update soon.

Best DrCWO

Please ask @Jan_Koudijs. If this is a docker Roon Extension it seems to be not yet available for ARMv8. If not there‘s a way but I don‘t remember.

Edit: Look here

:exclamation::exclamation: Update v3.0.3 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

• Fixed the bug with the crash using a UDB DAC without ADC.
  • Added a new Button at the rooExtend Service Page to manually look for updates.

The update will be installed automatically between 2AM and 4AM of your local time.
You have to leave your rooExtend Raspberry powered on during this time period to get the update.
First productive test of OTA update :sweat_smile: cross fingers :pray:

After successful update you will see v3.0.3 in the License Manager Roon Extension.

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

ha ha I am just burning 3.0.2. to a memory stick now!!
Off I go to get 3.0.2 then :+1:

Currently it is still showing 3.0.2 in the Google drive