rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

:exclamation::exclamation: rooExtend v3.3.0 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

It’s been quite a long time since release v3.2.0 but now I finally made it:

v3.3.0 is out and comes with the new Roon Extenison rooADI plus some more exciting improvements. It can be downloaded from my Download Area or will be updated automatically for all those already running v3.x.x.

:exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

New Roon Extension rooADI v1.0.0.
Here you find the Support Tread for rooADI. and the link to rooADI the Sellcodes Product Page. I also created a Video for rooADI :smiley:

rooADI is a Roon Extension that allows to control Device Volume for all DACs of the RME ADI-2 family including ADI-2 Dac, ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2/4 Pro.

This means Users of the RME ADI-2 Dac family depend no longer on Roon’s DSP volume. Instead, they can now adjust the volume of those DACs directly via Roon. This has two advantages:

• There is no longer a green dot in Roon’s display but a blue one that indicates lossless playback.
  • The second advantage is even more important. In the ADI-2 DACs there is an “Auto Ref Level” option. Being activated, the ADI-2 DAC-Chips always works at full level down to -24dB. That means don’t lose bit resolution in this range due to the volume levelling.
    On my rooADI product page you will find a link to a video explaining what impact “Auto Ref Level” has in practice.

In addition to setting the device volume, rooADI also allows you to select the source that will be played back via the DAC. This allows you easy setting of the audio source without having to navigate through the menus in the ADI-2.

The possible settings for the ADI-2 Pro and the ADI-2/4 Pro highly depend on the Basic Mode selected. To understand this exactly, I recommend studying the schematic diagrams in the manual of the respective DAC.

To use rooADI successfully, you must update the firmware of your ADI-2 device to the latest release offered by RME!

:exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

Fixes:

• rooDial
    The first and most important improvement concerns rooDial. There were a lot of complaints here in the forum after I released v3.0.0. The problem was that after a period of non-use, the Surface Dial went into a sleep mode for power-saving from which it only woke up with a lag of three seconds. This issue has resulted in most users not migrating to the new v3.x.x.
    This really severe issue has now finally been successfully resolved! The Surface Dial is now immediately responsive even after falling asleep.
    Now all users can migrate to v3.3.0 without the mentioned disadvantages. The only exception are users who use a Pi Zero W or an old Pi 2 because v3.x.x requires the ARMv8 architecture.

• HDMI output via Chromium
    An HDMI display that shows the Roon artwork can be connected to the Raspberry Pi. rooExtend uses the Chromium-Browser to display the content which occasionally had problems updating the display. A newer release of the Chromium browser is now included in v3.3.0 of rooExtend and I have the impression that the number of issues decreased. :pray: :pray:

Migration from v2.x.x to v3.3.0

Migrating from v2.x.x. to v3.3.0 you have to re-enter your License-keys and Settings. This can be avoided if you use a USB-Memory-Stick.

• Insert this USB-Memory-Stick in your Pi running rooExtend v2.x.x and watch the status line of the rooExtend License Manager. It will tell you if the information has been saved on the USB-Memory-Stick and when you can remove it.
  • In the next step copy the image of v3.3.0 to a SD-Card and insert it together with the USB-Memory-Stick in your Pi.
  • Power on your Pi and wait until you see the rooExtend v3.3.0 License Manager. Also watch the status line and wait till it tells you that you can remove the USB-Memory-Stick.
  • Now wait until rooExtend got restarted with all you got hopefully in place.
  • After that you should disable the USB Backup option in the settings of the rooExtend License Manager as you don’t need it any more. v3.x.x offers automatic Over The Air (OTA) update.

I hope all works well so far.

I would also like to warmly thank my beta testers who gave their valuable time to create a good customer experience for all of you.

Best DrCWO

7 Likes