rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Mid to end of October…

4 Likes

What is the status of ROOHead?

Probably will become a Christmas present :grinning:

It’s just like in the old days, waiting for the christ Child :sleeping:

1 Like

A virtual machine image for this would be most welcome since the Raspberry Pi availability is so bad right now. I know it doesn’t perfectly align with your want to have this be easy to get running for the lay person, but those of us who can run a VM would appreciate it and since it would still be an appliance, that keeps it pretty simple still.

I’ve got a new device that I would like to try UPnP with and don’t have a spare Pi4.

Thanks,
Aaron

The other method is to create a virtual ARM machine using QEMU and use the provided image perhaps?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/emulate-raspberry-pi-pc/

I would like to add a second usb-audio interface to rooExtend, for example, one interface connects to my DAC, another one is my Creative BT-W4 Bluetooth 5.2 Interface from which I connect my B&W PX8 Headphone. But rooExtend allows only one Audiointerface, regardless how much are connected to the Raspi USB Ports.

Please add this as feature request, maybe more then 2 soundinterfaces on the pi is a bit to much, but one for DAC, one for Bluetooth Soundcard would be a welcome addition. :pray:

If you connect more than one USB DAC I this should work. Linux shall recognize it and the installed Roon Bridge should offer the second USB DAC in Settings/Audio. Have you tested that?

Best DrCWO

Oops, true! I only looked in the log in rooExtend.local, there I could only see the BT-Soundcard, but not the DAC, why is this so? Also, my additional Bluetooth-Stick for the nuimo didn‘t get recognized any more, maybe 3 USB connections are to much on a 2GB Pi4? I cannot see it in the log either. Hmm…

If you click the “Show Sound Interface” button you only see the list of audio capture devices. The playback devices are completely handled by Roon Bridge and therefore of no interest for the rooPlay Roon Extension.

If you connect more than one audio capture device rooPlay picks the one with the lowest card number. Currently there is no possibility to switch between these capture devices if you have connected more than one.

Best DrCWO

End of October then??

1 Like

I hope so. Having to reload the license every day, at least once, has made the app unusable.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
it is end of October and Work on v3.0.0. ist still in progress.

I had some trouble moving vom ARM 32Bit to ARM 64Bit but solved that yesterday. Tomorrow I will let you know if I have something ready for beta testing.

Regarding the license key issue: This should be fixed since some time. If you don’t have time to wait for v3.0.0 please use this beta here.

The few customers that had the license key issue did no more complain about gone license keys after using this latest beta.

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

Looking forward to the public beta so thanks for the update.
Mine has been working really well recently and no loss of license key since the last update.

I did buy the recommended BT dongle and I will put that in place after the 3.0 update and hide the Pi away.

I think this has the Extension manager built-in, which will be great as I am running that on another Pi so it will give me another one spare if it does all the things :+1:

Yes, it will have :+1:
During install i recognized the necessity, that the Roon Extensions based on Docker must be available as ARMv8 releases. As far as I could see @Jan_Koudijs offers all his extensions in this format so they can be used without trouble. It also seems that all Roon Extensions based on node.js sources can be installed and used with the roon application manager.
What currently is missing is a ARMv8 release of Deep Harmony. I had a talk to @Adam_Goodfellow but until now was not able to convince him to offer it as ARMv8 release. Maybe if some of you kindly asked him he finally can be convinced :blush:

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Thanks Doctor, this is shaping up to be a great release and I am looking forward to testing it.

Funnily enough I unplugged my Harmony remote, and it is currently sitting in a box in my study.

1 Like

I like to give you an update regarding rooExtend v3.0.0.

I have a running Alpha version now that only lacks the WiFi connection that I still have to test and install. As I will be out over the weekend with my sons making a Mountainbike trip you can expect the v3.0.0 till end of next week.

I decided not to offer a beta as v3.0.0 was already well tested for my rooExtend-Box approach. This will also be available next week by my distributer ATR.

I will keep you informed.
Best DrCWO

6 Likes

Hi Dr. CWO,

hope you and your sons had a nice bike trip with sunshine the last weekend!

When the Version 3 will be final, is there the rooHead structure included? ( Yes, I will be happy like a child when this will work out good )

Best regards

Sebastian

Oh, nice.
There seems to be a „Vorzugs-Bundle“ ( „Best-Buy-Bundle“ )
option for buying all licenses at once…?!
Interesting!

Not yet, planned for Xmas :blush: