rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Jose,
unfortunately, this behavior is known. There are Microsoft Surface Dials that die for whatever reason. Other rooDial users also reported this but not so many, maybe 3%. This is a real harware bug and there is no way as returning the Dial and get a new one.

You have not to buy a new Dial. Just return it because yours is defective!

Best DrCWO

Sorry, @DrCWO! I didn’t mean to make it sound like the Zero is no good at all. I’m glad it works for a lot of people. :slight_smile: And the troubles with eero and other mesh networks are definitely not unique to rooExtend - you should see all the confused and upset people on the eero community forum, trying to get a whole host of home-automation devices to work well in a mesh network environment.

1 Like

I for one am keen for the top plate.

Please add to sellcodes.

Will come next week

Hi, i’m encountering connectivity issues between my Raspberry Pi4 and the Nuimo so i’d like to move the Raspberry to a different location. But how do i shutdown the Raspberry properly without having a username/password to login?

It’s safe to unplug the RPI, since the configuration of the Raspbian used is “nearly” RAM-Disk. Only the settings you enter in the dialogs of the extensions and the license keys are saved on the SD-card - nothing else.

1 Like

Thank you!

Dr CWO,
I would be interested in one of these cover plates. They look quite sharp.
Regards,

Blaine,
I am currently on a road trip in Italy. If I am back probably end of Oct. I will make them available via my website https://rooExtend.com. I will use the same procedure as I did with the Nuimo Control devices.
Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO

In the next few days I will set up my Pi4, I’m just waiting for it and my Nuimo to arrive.

Regarding the USB stick for the license, how does it have to be formatted?

FAT or NTFS should do.

1 Like

@oneofmany FYI - I have found that the exFAT format does not work.

1 Like

Thanks for that @Brian_Doherty

This creates an issue for me as we are a Mac only family and I have no way to format a drive in NTFS.

All this information needs to be added to the rooExtend instructions @DrCWO.

@oneofmany We’re mostly-Mac here as well. It’s not a problem, though. Just use the built-in Disk Utility app. With the SD card inserted, click on it in the app interface on the left, and choose the Erase function at the upper right. Pick FAT from the drop-down list of possible formats. See screenshot.

(Edit - I guess I can’t upload a screenshot!)

Thanks @Brian_Doherty

Silly me, I’d forgot that you can actually formate a drive as FAT through disk utility, although I’ve never had much luck in the past when I have used FAT and then given the drive to a friend with Windows.

I’ll see how it goes when my Pi4 arrives.

How do you know if the license has been saved on the USB drive?

The manual could definitely use some beefing-up around this issue. I had to fumble around a bit to figure some of this stuff out. A FAT-formatted USB stick from a Mac might very well cause some troubles on a PC, but in my experience it’s handled fine by the rooExtend software and the Pi4.

Just open up Roon to the Settings → Extensions page and look at the rooExtend section. You’ll see the little Status message says “enter stick to save keys”. Then stick the FAT-formatted stick into one of the Pi’s USB ports, and you’ll see the message change to say something like “found disk … copying license to disk … unmount disk”. At this point, it’s done and you must remove the disk from the Pi or the rooExtend won’t work in Roon! On my Pi4, there’s 2 usb2 and 2 usb3 ports. I used whichever one is blue because that was easiest to reach - might be usb3? - but I’m not sure if it matters.

Good luck!

1 Like

Once all this is done, and you remove the USB stick from the Pi, you can put it back in your Mac. You’ll see there’s a JSON file stored on there. That’s it. I’ve got a small USB stick just dedicated to this.

Did I miss the manual?

One suggestion though, copy the json file back to the Mac so you have a second copy just in case you format that memory stick or it gets corrupted. That has happened to pretty much everyone that uses a memory stick

For the next release I will add a chapter regarding the USB handling in the quick installation guide here in my download area: rooExtend – Google Drive

1 Like

Sorry Doctor that part was a bit of a joke before delivering my recommendation to back up the json file.

I have burned a lot of Pi images so jumped straight in and it was running in a few minutes.

1 Like