Room correction in Roon?

How are you performing room correction, especially bass?
Rew, Dirac, Minidsp, or Roon convolution\ Parametric filters?

Convolution filters, made with this app: Room correction using your iPhone and HouseCurve

1 Like

The cheap mic with rew. Exported filters up to 300 as text imported in HQP or hand copied on Roon PEQ

I use HAF https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com

You can demo for FREE before purchase…The custom made convolutions get installed right into Roon (Roon Core) where you can easily turn them On or Off to hear the difference they make. Thierry is a real gent to deal with! They made a big difference in how my main system sounds listening to my Roon Library.

7 Likes

I am using HouseCurve. It is not as ideal/perfected as Dirac, but it makes a significant difference in my system … and it is way, way cheaper and easier to use than Dirac.

1 Like

I second, and highly recommend, this option. Will be ordering 2 more sets of filters soon for another room.

4 Likes

I’m currently using Audiolense to generate convolution filters

I use this too. As I’ve often said, it was the best value purchase I made in my entire audio system. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Do any of these Room correction systems allow you to keep your speakers in the same position that you currently have them and don’t require them to be repositioned? Due to a fixed room layout for about the last 10 years my listening position and speaker layout have been fixed, and that wont change any time soon.

That’s the point of the correction they work with what you already have, no recommendations for physical change they just modify the sound coming out.

3 Likes

Thanks, good to know.
I used to have a Lyngdorf amp that used their own in house correction and it was absolutely fantastic. I’m happy enough with the sound from my new amp and speakers, but perhaps need to get rid of a bit bass boom with certain types of music, or when playing music a bit louder.

1 Like

With HAF Room Correction (https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com) it’s CUSTOM made from your recordings of your own system that a “House Curve” could never duplicate. Just gotta invest in a Qualty Mic…

2 Likes

I had a look at Homeaudiofidelity. It does look very tempting and extremely interesting, but I must admit my head was hurting a bit when I tried to compute everything that was required to implement it lol. Also going to hurt the wallet, especially for people like me starting from scratch - eg don’t even have a microphone.

1 Like

Valid point. But also I do not hurry. I bought a mic in December and in the end HOF is the goal. While waiting for the money to pile up I started playing with REW and now my head does not hurt when reading all the necessary steps required. It is suppose to be fun not pressure or money draining.

1 Like

They are always sold used on eBay. Get one, measure, sell it on when done. Or if you have a standing relationship with a hifi dealer, they may have one and lend it over the weekend

3 Likes

As I’ve often said, I’ve bought cables that cost multiples of Thierry’s HAF filters and euro per euro HAF filters are the BEST upgrades I have ever purchased.

Just do it, the microphone can be sold on at very little loss.

I have changed nothing in my system since I got them (3 years ago), they are that good.

.sjb

6 Likes

Another vote for HAF filters from Thierry. He is wonderful to work with: very responsive and is more than willing to walk you through the process and troubleshoot with you.

2 Likes

Should I use HouseCurve for subs and mains? Or use a minidsp 2x4hd for subs and house curve for mains? Or the minidsp 2x4hd for everything?

I think all Mini DSP is crap! I have their big dog main unit and simply undoes all the work your DAC does… They take the pristine Analog signal and turn if back to digital…do their digital crap and then reconvert it into analog again …HAF filters are the proper way to do Custom files for your ROOM Correction and they install nicely into Roon where you can instantly flip them on and off to hear the difference!

2 Likes

I used HouseCurve, it’s not perfect but it does the job.