Room correction using your iPhone and HouseCurve

Greg,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

• I’m using the External Sweep option. The BT sweep, was not workable for my Bluesound, and doing it from within roon is easy. I saw the posts about the chirp issue with Bluesound. The issue seems to come and go for me, I can’t explain it but I wonder if there might be something else (amp or cable issue). Hopefully, it is just the Bluesound trying to mute the chirp… I just tuned my KEF living room system with the ALL channel sweep — no issues, easy and fast. Glorious, btw! :thinking:

• Thanks for confirming the file is monaural, in Windows-properties it was showing up as stereo. I’ll have to redo my main listening room in two ways:

1. Using both channels from a few positions - if I can get that sweep file to play… and/or,
  2. Using discrete L, R from the same position and the info from Roon on how to combine the files, which seems like a few too many steps TBH, what I love about House Curve is the simplicity,

The EQ I performed using discrete Left and Right with 8 measurements, 3 positions is OK but probably not ideal….

Thanks again!

1 Like

Maybe I am all wet, but how do import the generated parametric EQ file into Roon? I have the text file stored on my computer, but I fail to find an import option. Any suggestions?

I had the a similar issue taking measurements with the UMIK-1 on different positions, playing back the signal through ROON.
I could always hear the chirp, but House Curve didn’t detect it on certain microphone positions, while others worked well. Moving the microphone a few centimeters and the problem went away.
So I think, it might be some kind of a comb filter cancellation issue with the chirp signal when played back through both channels.

There is no way to import PEQ settings into ROON, you have to transfer the settings manually by configuring the PEQ accordingly.

But it‘s way easier to export convolution files from HouseCurve and use those in ROON. Convolution also uses less processing power than PEQ.

3 Likes

When I used it via my Naim Atom I also had issues with it catching the chirp had to raise it up a considerable amount. This was just using the iPhone mic.

Yeah I had that too when measuring my bathroom sound bar although the volume wasn’t particularly low. (Too much reverb in the bathroom?). No such issue with the main system.

@KMM

Here is how you export from HouseCurve and import the filters into roon:

1. In HouseCurve/Equalizer, save the response WAV files for each frequency you use or just 48K (roon will use processing power to make these work for other frequencies) personally I export each one because it only take a few minutes. Equalize/Export Filters - Save them someplace you can access from your PC/MAC (iCloud or OneDrive)
  2. From your computer (not phone or iPad) Zip the Wav file or files and save someplace you can easily access from your Roon App.
  3. In your Roon App, go to the DSP settings and Browse/import the Zip file as a Convolution filter help here
  4. Save this as a preset with whatever name you want to give it. That’s it.
3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. Being a layman in understanding how a convolution filters works as opposed to a parametric I cannot hear a difference. So why are there two different methods out there?

In my use case the convolution filter at 131k taps taxes the NAS a fair bit more than the 10 band parametric filter. Doesn’t matter, still runs at 60-80 times performance.

There are different export options to suit multiple use cases / devices aside from Roon, like miniDSP processors or PEQ inside other apps.

For Roon, convolution is the most convenient way to go.

Regarding performance, I assume from the number of taps you’re upsampling or playing back high res content. In that case, Roon needs to upsample the convolution file as well to the target sample rate, which takes extra processing power.
This can be avoided by exporting convolution files for all typical sample rates.
I’m not sure, if HouseCurve already supports higher export sample rates than 48 kHz, but if so, I recommend doing so.

I exported the filters in all sampling rates and always have 131K taps

192/24:

44.1/16:

Ah yes, I remember Greg writing something about the tap length (=number of samples) being the same for all sample rates, which is unnecessary and should be changed in a future release.

Tap length should be half for 44.1k compared to 88.2 KHz to cover the same length of time, which is the relevant aspect of convolution file size.
So the lower res convolution files has alot of unneeded zeros in it.

I use Filters created using the FocusFidelty Filter Designer, which are 33k Taps for 44.1 kHz and accordingly increased tap length for higher sample rates.

3 Likes

528 KB per file is one thing I am not losing sleep over :wink:

Same here which I don’t understand. I use a HAF convolution filter with 4 passes that adjusts to the sampling frequency.

Clear now with the fixed length of the filter data

Hello. Does anybody know how low the latency (if any) is between Roon zones? Is that what the master clock priority setting is about? I’d like to try using zones as a DSP crossover between my subs and monitors. And smooth over the full range using HouseCurve with a conv. filter. The reason: I want to sell off my Plex for it’s clunky interphase and preferred the sound of USB input of DAC. Any thoughts?Tricks? Or a fault in the theory?
Thank you. :pray::pray:

Using PEQ you can only adjust frequency response. PEQ is more easily implemented on systems with little memory and less powerful cpu as it’s not as demanding as it uses IIR filtering that is more efficient and has less latency so better for real-time operational scenarios. Convolution uses FIR filtering that also allows for phase alignment adjustments as well as frequency response. They do require more computational power, memory and add more latency, but can be way more accurate.

2 Likes

I have had to move my speakers due to WAF. I use HAF generated filters normally. So decided to have a go with Housecurve until I get chance to remeasure with Umik1 and HAFs app.

Not bad at all, manages the bass well but feels a bit congested on vocals. Any ideas of what I can do here? I only corrected up to 500Hz. I did lower target considerably to bring into line of the curve for the mids and highs or would have been very unbalanced. I take it that’s what should be done if not corrected full range?

Also why does it use so many taps for all sample rates 131k taps seems a bit excessive for 44.1k.

How much of an improvement can using an umik1 make with housecurve.

Anyway good app for the money.

About the tap number, something like this:

do have a question about multiple measures.
Tutorial say, 3-5 measures for a living room.

I’m listening alone, so I’m interested only in good music in my position.
Do I still have to take multiple measures?
If so what distance from my listening position? 1m away? 2m? more? less? anywhere in the room?

Unless you want to listen with your head fixed in a vice, you still want several measurements :slight_smile: The wave length is on the centimeter or less range for most frequencies, so small deviations in mic position or head movement cause very different measurements.

However you don’t have to necessarily spread them out over a larger area like the whole couch, just around where you are sitting.

E g. Something like what Dirac recommends, one where the head is and several in a pattern around it

6 Likes