Roon 1.2 Feedback Thread

Thanks for the screenshots Brian, it looks very nice indeed :slight_smile:

So I still canā€™t use simultaneously play music via my Mac Mini and via Airplay devices? I was hoping that this update would allow me to use Roon the way Iā€™ve been using iTunes - for music around my home.

Thanks for the info @brian!

Yes, that really didnā€™t effect me, as I donā€™t add a lot of Tidal albums to my library, and I really just want to hear my own albums shuffled. But good to know, the guys are keen to work on it asap :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,

I donā€™t understand that anything has changed here. You can (and could) send music to MacMini zones and AirPlay zones at the same tume but you canā€™t (and couldnā€™t) group them. If the AirPlay device can run RoonBridge, then you can group them.

Congrats guys - this is really exciting for us, and must be hugely exciting (and a big relief probably) for you too. Canā€™t wait to get home tonight and try it. Hats off to those that have already installed the Pi version! The screen grabs of the phone Ap are excitingā€¦ā€¦

Once the dust settles, and youā€™ve recovered from your hangovers, Iā€™d be fascinated to hear anything you would care to share about the journey to v1.2. I imagine there are stories to tell about the development of RAAT, Linux and RoonBridgeā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

Just upgraded my Roonserver Core (on a headless server) and six PCs, laptops and tablets. One laptop encountered a downloading error, but the retry proceeded without a hitch. The rest worked faultlessly.

Now playing around with Groups. I feel like a kid on Christmas morningā€¦

Next job is to see if I can turn my Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Digi+ combo from running PiCorePlayer into a true RoonReady endpoint. That would be the icing on the cakeā€¦

Looks to have been a great job, guys. Well done!

1 Like

Thank @RBM for alpha-testing this setup. He ran into a few issues that you guys will never see thanks to his efforts.

1 Like

Does this mean that we may now be not far away from being able to run Roon on, say, the same NAS that the watched music folder might be on, eg QNAP or something like that ?

Does this mean that we may now be not far away from being able to run Roon on, say, the same NAS that the watched music folder might be on, eg QNAP or something like that ?

With some legwork itā€™s probably possible to run our current linux builds on a QNAP. I should try that out on my TS-453 one of these daysā€¦

Weā€™ve been contemplating making packages for QNAP because theyā€™re pretty good about using up-to-date 64bit Intel platforms.

One of the more interesting things we are thinking about is running an SSD off of one of the USB3 ports for Roonā€™s databaseā€“this is really the biggest remaining holdup for NASā€™sā€“the storage performance of the RAID array isnā€™t great compared to an SSD. Things are changing now that 64-120GB SSDs are available in the $30-40 range and many of these NASā€™s now have USB3 portsā€¦

1 Like

I really hope you contemplate creating native QNAP packages for Roon Server. :slight_smile: Those with higher specā€™d NASā€™s (or small libraries), or those in the market for a new one, could kill two birds with one stone hardware wise, saving more money for actual music ;).

On another note, Roon bridge running perfectly on a RPI 3, with Hifiberry Digi + over wireless. Sounding great!

Core is on MacBook-Air.
Remote on Ipad. I checked iPad just in case (try my luck sort - no 1.2 available on app store) settings ->about -> and i saw install button and i simply pressed it. the MacBook upgraded to 1.2. and Ipad is on 1.1 now. eveything is working as normal.

This is fine I guess correct ? i mean RoonRemote on ipad running 1.1 and RoonServer on MacBook running 1.2

Yeah, we do a lot of work to make sure that iPad builds are ā€œforwards compatibleā€. It wonā€™t do all of the new stuff, but it will do whatever it did before.

Just upgraded WHS Server which was running Roon Server, a Linx 10 tablet which was running full Roon but operating as Remote and have installed on Android phone (Motorola Moto G). All was pretty smooth although phone hung on first run but software ran fine when restarted. Bit dissappointed Raspberry image is not ready yet so have left Pi running PiCoreplayer as the install seems a faff otherwise. BBC Radio 2 stream was easy to add and seems good.

Thanks
CJ

[quote=ā€œevanw, post:51, topic:9463ā€]with higher specā€™d NASā€™s (or small libraries), or those in the market for a new one, could kill two birds with one stone hardware wise, saving more money for actual music :wink:.
[/quote]itā€™d be a lot cheaper to simply roll your own and itā€™d remove any dependencies on nas vendors.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œCJ1045, post:54, topic:9463ā€]
Bit dissappointed Raspberry image is not ready yet so have left Pi running PiCoreplayer as the install seems a faff otherwise.
[/quote]all you need to is download a pi image and install RoonBridge using the supplied easy install scripts, itā€™s a doddle.

Yes, of course. I could easily build a Windows server with hardware raid, teamed NICĀ“s and SSDĀ“s. However there is extra benefits of a QNAP/Synology for many people IĀ“m assuming. Simplicity, nothing to build, size, application installation, support ā€¦etc etc. But perhaps thatĀ“s a discusion for another thread :slight_smile:

Can I do that on top of PiCorePlayer?

If anyone comes up with a Docker or Container Station version of this for the QNAP Iā€™d be very grateful.

Iā€™ll have a tinker around myself but have no experience of using either.

PS thanks guys for an overwhelming amount of new goodies to play with!

3 posts were split to a new topic: RoonBridge on LMS device - I donā€™t really want to replace my LMS install