Roon 1.3 Feedback Thread

Nice! What is the smallest step size?

Donald was right, you Roon guys are great!

2 of my requests for 1.3 have been done and I know that the third will be getting looked at after the big Roon 1.3 launch party.

many thanks for the great work.

.sjb

This is a fantastic release, took my 1 year subscription to Lifetimeā€” canā€™t wait to have room correction, multichannelā€¦and all the other great featuresā€¦

1 Like

Congrats to the Roon team for a fantastic upgrade!! I used HQP all the time but the DSP integration into Roon is far more convenient. So far I cannot tell any sound difference between the 1.3 DSP and HQP. I did note that DSD upsampling is limited to 128 whereas I can do 256 in HQP. I seriously doubt that I can hear any difference, tho.

Again, thanks for all the hard work!!

If this is going to be our official ā€œthanksā€ thread thenā€¦THANKS! Brilliant release, Iā€™ve been playing with EQ all morning and it works effectively and intuitively. Since day one Iā€™ve been of the opinion that you obviously have an extremely talented design and development team, and it just gets better with each release. Superb! :notes:

Yep, felt I had to put thanks somewhere! Great update and excellent hard work!

I will play around with it some before you hear more from your top feature requester :smile:

As @Danny had indicated that a general ā€œfeature requestā€ thread is unhelpful, I will refrain from making a ā€œRoon 1.4: Top Prioritiesā€ thread this time, and instead add feature requests individually.

1 Like

Itā€™s awesome - loving the upsampling. Would be good to consider how mqa will bypass upsample settings when decoding comes but I think that has been mentioned elsewhere.
Great release. Good work and deep thanks to all Roon staffers

Yes, @Brian, very cool and a big improvement.
But I wonder about one thing.
On Brad Mehldau & Chris Thile (by Brad Mehldau and Chris Thile, natch), the track I Cover the Waterfront shows five matches in my own library and 131 in Tidal, and when I click on the 5 I see all tracks that I have. Logical.
But on Scarlet Town above, it shows two in Tidal, one is this track, another is the Tidal version of this album. Whatā€™s that about? And why not do it on the other tracks: some have other tracks in Tidal, plus the album, some have nothing, and Scarlet Town has only itself.

May I add my congratulations to the whole team. Itā€™s great for those who either want a ā€œpureā€ version or those who love to tinker - I like both depending on my mood. Iā€™m interested in the descriptions - Lossless and Enhanced. Is one meant to be superior?

@DSP. Iā€™m also happy with the 1.3 release. My Metrum DAC is limited to 176Khz. In DSP I can now downsample 192Khz flacs to 176Khz. Works as a charmā€¦ In 1.2 i tried to use the MAX sample rate in de device setup menu, but this is limited to 48 en 96Khz.

I feel very blessed to report that my own upgrade went off without a hitch. I have been reading all of the posts from people that lost their database or other things and I can tell you that this was a very smooth upgrade for me. I had 100% functionality within 30 minutes of doing the update. When I say 100% functionality I mean all of my client devices such as Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro and iPhone and iPad all working flawlessly. Maybe I have not yet explored everything but I have checked out and tried lots. I have successfully configured up sampling with no issues and all of my Sonos zones seem to work just fine. Count me in as a happy camper.

1 Like

Really like the way you can now share what you are listening to. Nice and easy to create a link for artwork etc. Trouble is I am disappointed by the resolution of the image created, much too low.

Great Job Guys! You have been looking forward to this for awhile. After the update launch you should all skype a beer together, or whiskey, or scotch. :smiley:

2 Likes

Very impressed with the huge amount of changes that continue to make Roon the best software in its class. A very exciting start to the year ! Congrats to the Roon team, I hope you get your rewards!

Cheers
Tom

Nice update in 1.3 and canā€™t wait to try out the new nifty features especially Sonos control. Especially greatful that that the iOS app is available on day one! I had been hopeful that a non-destructive queue option would be available, but so far, I have not found it. Is it hiding some place or perhaps in a future version -:wink:

Now that I have it working, I have to say Iā€™m VERY impressed. Hereā€™s my biggest up-front takeaways:

1. Speed/Performance - Itā€™s now lightning fast. The artist filter is incredibly functional and fast. I used to do a search for an artist, wait forever, then have to click into the artist to see the albums. Not the case anymore! This will save me hours of navigation time every month going forward.

My one complaint here would be the style of the filter. Itā€™s white with the blue border, sitting above the gray sort UI. It looks out of place to me. When I first loaded up a bookmark for an artist I thought it was a UI bug cause it just looked so out of place up in the corner.

1. DSP - I havenā€™t fully explored the DSP, and itā€™s going to take some time across five rigs to really dive into room correction, EQ and crossfeed (which isnā€™t something I really cared about), but what I have toyed with has been sounding WAY BETTER. I rip my own vinyl and I noticed almost immediately without any DSP settings turned on that the background was blacker on more than a dozen albums I started up. I heard almost no noise at all. Turning on headroom management and DSD128 upsampling and it is non-existent. I might have a hard time telling the difference between my vinyl rips and 24bit web downloads moving forward whereas in the past just that slight bit of noise was noticeable in Roon.

2. I have two Roon licenses, one for home and one for work. The Dropbox integration and export of playlists and tags is going to be YUGE for me! Iā€™ve struggled with how to get the work Iā€™ve done on my home library to my work library when they arenā€™t EXACT clones of one another (My DSD library is only at home). This really simplifies this until Roon allows remote access of my one library.

One question - are there any existing Roon extensions? Iā€™m a little unsure of what these are or how I might use them in the future.

2 Likes

I hate to spoil the party but my upgrade experience has not been good.

I donā€™t have a particularly unusual setup (Core on a Brix i7 with 16GB RAM, Control on a MacBook Air i7 with 8GB RAM), or a particularly large library, and all was working perfectly pre-upgrade. The upgrade itself seemed to go well and didnā€™t take too long (I utilised all 4 of the Brix cores in audio analysis) and after that it all seemed to work so I went to bed.

This morning I launched Roon and it stuck on the splash screen with the animated logo. I could access the prefs and saw that it was sticking on logging into Tidal. This had never happened before. I rebooted both Brix and MacBook but no joy. I scanned the logs but saw nothing obvious so I opened a support ticket.

Since then - 12 hours ago - support have asked for logs, which I gave them, suggested I revert to a database backup and initiate the migration again - which I did - but still no joy. Other clients - on iOS and Android - are locked out too.

So, my 1.3 experience has been fraught and minimal so far. Support will get back to me when they have something - hopefully soon. I had been thinking of taking out a life membership - now Iā€™m not so sure.

Forgive my lack of enthusiasm just now. Iā€™m glad 1.3ā€™s working well for most of you - but it isnā€™t for all of us unfortunately.

1 Like

Currently listening to some Beatles albums on my Focal Elear headphones with the new Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP. Superb! :grin:

1 Like

Simon_Finch
Support will get back to me when they have something - hopefully soon. I had been thinking of taking out a life membership - now Iā€™m not so sure.

Sorry to hear youā€™re having a bad time Simon. Hoping that support sort out your issues promptly - let us know how you get onā€¦

After a fast and trouble free upgrade, I had a strange failure.
I did Upgrade All from a Windows laptop.
But my office desktop did not get upgraded, possibly because of a conflict with a poorly throttled backup job. It showed a screen saying it needs an upgrade. (Didnā€™t just do itā€¦) But when I clicked to do the upgrade (from the white special display, not from the regular menu) it hung. Tried several times. Rebooted. Shut down background tasks. No success.

I went back to the connection screen, said I wanted to run locally, then upgraded from Settings. Worked, except rebuilding the database took a while. Then reconnected to the NUC.

Seems some processes are sensitive to resource contention.