Roon 1.3 Feedback Thread

Ticket is open in our system @Simon_Finch – we will absolutely get this resolved for you.

3 Likes

Smooth update here using Linux Core in a NAS. I can’t wait to see what Roon 2.0 looks like. 1.3 isn’t a small update.

Composition focus for classical is phenomenal! Exactly what I wanted without knowing that’s what I wanted. Thank you!

1 Like

You can at least get an Album view for full albums using tags, however individual songs from the same album are listed as individual items, so that gets messy if you tag a subset of songs from a single album. I’d still like to be able to create “Playlists of Playlists” (nested Playlists) and have an Album View option.

Well, my update has proven to be buggy. The update itself went fine, but the following is not so good:

1. Not all albums have been scanned to provide Dynamic Range information, in fact I would be lucky to have a quarter of the albums scanned at this stage, and I did the update yesterday.

2. Some of the albums that have been scanned are woefully incorrect (ie: Aaron Neville’s ‘Warm your heart’ does not have a highly squashed 4db of dynamic range, and there are others)

3. Trying to play a single track in a playlist plays the WRONG track!

4. I have yet to work out how I can add my own meta data information…I have only spent about an hour with it so far, so I may well be blind, bu I would have thought it would have been more obvious.

5. I also have a couple of DSD albums that it has added as new items, and dropped Track 1 from both, even though track 1 is in fact in the same place as the rest of the album.

6. Finally ( I think), I do not understand why the dynamic range is only shown for albums and not shown for an individual track?

Fantastic! Epic! Smooth! Slick! Streets ahead!

HQP is great software in itself, but a bit quirky, now I can relegate it to once-in-a-while nerdy Sunday mornings :wink:

Not had much time to play around with the new DSP, which is a huge new feature, much wanted here (thank you). There is a great amount to adjust and play about with here, what I have not come across yet is whether it’s possible to upsample PCM to DSD (DoP)?

Excellent work Danny, Brian, Mike and all the guys n girls at Roon, you have delivered on your promises, what’s more you have done it with exemplary style.

Hi Steve!

[quote=“Steve_Lees, post:45, topic:19523, full:true”]

1. Not all albums have been scanned to provide Dynamic Range information, in fact I would be lucky to have a quarter of the albums scanned at this stage, and I did the update yesterday.[/quote]

Chances are the audio analysis is not finished yet. The new analysis takes a longer time than did the old. The amount of time is really dependent upon library size, how fast the files can be read, how fast your processors are and how many you devote to this task.

2) Some of the albums that have been scanned are woefully incorrect (ie: Aaron Neville’s ‘Warm your heart’ does not have a highly squashed 4db of dynamic range, and there are others)[/quote]

Roon’s DR is listed as an LU DR which is very different that the DR that is listed in something like the loudness war database. I don’t think there is a correlation. You can check by running an analysis is JRiver which provides both values. For example, a new track on the Chicago II Steve Wilson Remix has a Roon LU DR of 3.8 but a “crest value” DR of 12.

3) Trying to play a single track in a playlist plays the WRONG track![/quote]
I haven’t seen this. I just brought up a playlist, highlighted a track, hit play, and the correct track played. How did you try to play the track

4) I have yet to work out how I can add my own meta data information…I have only spent about an hour with it so far, so I may well be blind, bu I would have thought it would have been more obvious.[/quote]

Not sure which meta-data you are asking about. But, the new credit editing is a bit hard to find. Its under Album / Edit / Edit Fields / Credits. This is also available under each track as well as at the album level. Lets you add, or remove performers, including adding new performers if Roon does not have them.

You might take a look in Settings / Library / Skipped Files and see if they are listed there with a reason as to why they were skipped.

Hi Rugby, thank you for your feedback, very helpful as I was not aware of few things you mentioned, namely the Settings / Library / Skipped Files function, which claims I/O errors for the files in question. I wiped the files and added those files in again form a backup, still will not read them. Same files play fine on my Sony music player however.

Thanks also for showing me the ‘hidden’ ‘Credits’ feature, and yes that was what I needed! That is in fact the main thing I have been waiting for from Roon.

As for the dynamic range metering, I would have preferred crest factor to be honest, but I guess the team had to make a call one way or the other, they just made the wrong call! :wink:

As for scanning of my library, it appears to be finished I have to say, but I have since noticed it adds the dynamic range after playing a track off an album.

Clearly there is much to learn about this new update, thanks for your help Rugby.

Oh also, playing a track from a playlist, I am playing by clicking on it, and then pressing the big play icon…strangely after closing and relaunching for about the tenth time since updating, it is behaving correctly once again.

Moved Roon core from an old macbook to a NUC 4th gen i5 running Linux Mint instead of updating the macbook. All went well and it is really fast now. Moving the database went smoothly. Time to play with DSP. How do one measure the room characteristics and visualise easily ( I do have a microphone for measuring)?

Yes indeedy; DSD 64, 128 or 256.

1 Like

Yep. :smiley:

1 Like

Excellent update. Thanks for all the hard work.

Excellent update with 1.3-194! I was using AirSonos before which had some stability problems particularly around format changes. Everything seems great so far with the native Sonos integration!

I know Sonos isn’t audiophile quality, but its hard to beat for ease of setup in whole home audio. I love being able to curate my collection and listen either on my low fi Sonos systems throughout the house, or sit down with a good DAC, AMP, and my collection of headphones :slight_smile:

Now I just need to get a VPN set up so I can connect from work or on the road! Until there’s a mobile streaming solution :racehorse:

Try Room EQ Wizard.

1 Like

Is this also possible with a non-special-for-measurement microphone?
What is needed to make this work with Roon for not that much money?

Not to any useful degree of accuracy.
REW is free. You’ve already got Roon. There is a second hand market for the UMIK-1. People could get together and share the cost/use of a microphone.

Thanks for your continuous work :slight_smile: I have two qiestions:
I have Roon running on my Meridan system861/ID40card and a Macbook with a USB-HD connected.
1)Before the new 1.3v sw installation , what in DETAIL i have to do to avoid data/music looses ?
2)If the upgrade not work, HOW i can install then my previous version 1.2 (built165-64bit)

Thanks! Will share the mic with some audiophile friends! Good idea :slight_smile:
Thought it would be more expensive as $75/€99 for the UMIK-1

Actually, neither are this track–quite.

One is a TIDAL copy of this album (different release, different mastering)
The other is a TIDAL single with just this track (different release, likely same mastering as the other one, but different from where you came from)

There were some tricky decisions here. We’re defining a performance as “the appearance of a composition on a piece of media” not “the performance of a composition on earth”. So these three are considered distinct even though they are practically very similar.

We only show a link if there is something to be seen at the other side of it. So in the degenerate case where the link would return you a page that only contained the album/track you came from, it’s not pulled forward into the composition icon (you can still find it in the three-dots menu under “Go To Composition…”).

I agree, The Scarlet Town page is a pretty boring page to land on. Especially if releases/masterings don’t matter to you at all. Not simple or efficient to hide that page based on that criteria. How close is too close?

We do pull forwards links-with-only-one-performance if there is additional composition level data displayed on that page. This tends to be for classical works which have descriptions, dates, etc and it rarely feels funny.

If we were to show the icon whenever a composition object existed, every track would have an indicator, and they would turn into noise in the UI.

There’s always an element of “sifting through noise” on the TIDAL links. But on the page you posted, the indicators are doing their job. I Cover the Waterfront is by the most historically interesting composition there. Independence follows, and the remaining ones are just works by the people on that album–you already have all you could learn about them [in Roon] right in front of you.