Roon 1.3 Feedback Thread

No, it is not.

I know you’re having a slew of problems with your SonicTransporter, but please don’t generalize this over the thousands of Linux installs running perfectly fine.

4 Likes

What does it mean in the settings where it says: “iTunes Library (Roon 1.2 and older)” in Roon 1.3? Is support for iTunes libraries going away?

I don’t know where you get your stats, but several others like me have reported here about Ubuntu-based Roon Cores losing their CIFS connections to a Synology NAS. Given that these connections worked perfectly before 1.3, I can only conclude that the Linux Core acquired a CIFS/SMB bug. I’ve wasted quite a few hours since Wednesday night tracking this problem. I have a temporary work-around that is not too painful – kill the offending CIFS connection from the Synology side, after which the Core re-establishes a working connection for a while – but that is not a satisfactory solution.

Yes – I know. Bugs can happen at both sides: Roon doing things wrong – or Roon doing things differently and the NAS not responding like it should. Either way, things will get fixed: by fixing Roon or by working around the other system’s bugs (the latter happens all time with buggy DAC-drivers).

No one is denying the teething problems of a major release – but calling Roon for Linux ‘a complete mess’ is simply false.

Just let me point out that I’ve spent more debugging time on this than on any software upgrade on my many digital devices or at work in the last five years, and I’ve worked in the business for decades so I understand these things pretty well. CIFS/SMB is not as well-specified as some other protocols because it’s fundamentally proprietary, so developers have to be very careful with their assumptions about initial negotiation, error returns, timeouts, etc. As for ‘complete mess,’ having your Core or library go AWOL is pretty unsettling (did I lose my Roon database with all that carefully curated data?) and totally disables Roon. Yes, after all those debugging hours I figured out a simple temporary workaround, but I got almost no help from Roon support in doing this (I wasn’t even asked for logs and I was told to just reboot the NAS, which takes time and messes up other things like all the other uses of my NAS), and AFAIK I’m still the only source for the easier workaround in this forum. By no means the best support I’ve experienced, even relative to company size. Update: more SMB woes, not on Linux.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree that is annoying – and it is definitely something @support needs (and will) get to the bottom of. Given the frenzy of the last few days, chances may be it is getting overlooked or backlogged – have you tried pinging them directly?

I’m running 3 Linux Cores on 3 different distro’s (Jessie, Stretch and Arch), using all sorts of connections (local USB, NFS and yes, SMB/CIFS) without as much as a hiccup (nothing more than just another data point).

Anyway – here’s hoping both of you will get sorted out quickly!

Yes, I’ve pinged them directly, but after their initial response (reboot the NAS), nothing except “try 196,” which required another couple of hours of toil to unwedge from. I’m using a totally vanilla Ubuntu, up to date Ubuntu distro on a vanilla NUC and the Synology NAS is also up to date and has worked well with other SMB mounts, and with Roon 1.2.

Persistent problem: Roon 1.3 on iOS iPad, radio-station “freeze”.

Details: Roon 1.3 build 196 on Win10 NUC (LOTS of RAM etc.), Gig ethernet, iPad iOS 10.2.1 on 5Ghz 802.11AC network (enterprise grade).

Observations: Requently I see problems when I select the “Internet Radio” menu. - I see the channels but nothing happens when I select one. Just - nothing… Force closing the Roon App brings back control to start a radio station again.

(+) search responsiveness
(+) Squeezebox ip3k display resurrection
(+) sending native FLAC to Squeezebox.

(-) This release feels overall a bit unstable right now: Remotes occasionally go AWOL; client updates had to be downloaded from the website, rather than the automated approach (no big deal). I’m sure this will get ironed out with the upcoming micro releases.

Here’s my PCM to DSD upsample screenshot. It sounds great on my Hugo microRendu combo.

I was an original beta tester for the Squeezebox Touch and when it came out there were lots of bugs to quash . That was 10 years or so ago , maybe longer .
I have spent more time discerning what the problems are on the Linux version on my Sonictransporter than on any network device since those good ole days

The Squeezebox Touch was and is a fantastic piece of kit.I still treasure its versatility now and it’s great that Roon see its potential even now. I still love LMS and drift between the two to use the plug ins produced and maintained by the Community team .It’s a testament to this product that so many still use it and want to see its life extended for as long as is possible,Slim Devices were way ahead at the time.

1 Like

I think I had that too…must try it again

Well after three days of ‘analysing’ my library, it seems all the weirdness has gone away. My album count is now correct when viewing albums by MOST PLAYED, the multiple copies of albums has gone, and the most played albums are now the most played albums. Happy days…

I hope it stays correct, I have a feeling the more you play the more the count will be off. If you quit and restart RoonServer it will be correct, but over time of playing tracks, it gets messed up.

My “analysing” of the library also just finished (112,000+) a few hours ago… I really hope you are right that maybe the analysing was the cause of this issue in 1.3, but it was here also in 1.2… here’s to hoping :slight_smile:

I still have weirdness… can you spot it.

1 Like

You can’t really blame Roon for Adele !
Clearly it’s not the Velvets. Three copies is barely enough …

3 Likes

3 x Velvet Underground? Not to mention the fact you are viewing more albums than you have! :wink:

1 Like

Yes on both counts. i have 9 dup albums that don’t exist.

Are you sure it has finished analysing? If you go to SETTINGS/LIBRARY you will see if it is finished or not…?