Roon 1.3 : Top Priorities

To repeat- Radio function needs to be include greater discovery based user option:
-Off/On user selection
-Continuum from only my music all the way to most discovery within full Tidal tracks.

Thanks for making Roon even better.

2 Likes

Also integration to Windows icon / taskbar with basic actions. It will be nice to have just the three buttons:

Back, Play-Stop, Forward

so that we can have minimized the window.

2 Likes

I’d like to have this on the Mac too. Most music players let you play/pause from their Dock icon, but Roon does not.

Why not simply use the physical keyboard buttons? It’s quicker then navigating to the dock.
This works both for core and remote machines

I don’t have keyboard buttons and it is not my preferred way to use a music player. Roon should eventually support all the standard methods of interaction.

It would be nice to see bit rate and sample rate in the track list. That way we can sort with DSD at the top! It would also be nice to see this info at the bottom where the playing now info is rather than having to click on the dot for the pop up.

A horrible idea in my opinion. For me a music player should give me information about the music not about the format. It’s good to have a way to show technical information, but this should be behind the curtain.

I kind of agree, the music should come first and the format should be irrelevant. But I know people also will listen to better recordings for the sake of it and not just the music they love because the mood takes them.
The trick is to get the music you love in the best format available.

Roon however has to cater for us all no matter how wierd our world view. So this kind of thing should be an option for those who care about the tech that much.
I can’t think of an occasion I would want to move the highest res to the top of a playlist, leaving me the worst recordings to look forward to?
I buy the best I can and listen to what I want regardless of format.

Thoughts, Chris

1 Like

1.) Language other than ENG support, restore or completely rebuild https://dev.roonlabs.com/translations/?id=6768 if it was abandoned
2.) Sorting, moving radio stations “customly” by user with mouse or with help of touch-screen-gesture

this will come as soon as the translations are done – that link is active and if you speak one of the languages there, i encourage voting/translating

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Article on DARKO about 1.3

No Dutch? :innocent:

Shipping!!

1 Like

Awesome!!!

Clarification: I have no advance knowledge of shipping status. I was just being a little funny, suggesting that shipping is the most important feature. This comes from 45 years of experience as a software architect: there comes a phase when nobody wants to hear from the architect anymore, go away and shut up and let us ship this thing.

And as a customer I have the same view.

4 Likes

One of the reasons the Roon devs like to keep a lid on expectations is to retain the option of holding over a particular feature in order for everything else to ship. Telling people that 1.x will have feature y can mean that everything else gets delayed while feature y is retested multiple times. Alpha testers seem to take a perverse pride in breaking a feature so badly it has to be held over. This has only happened a couple of times in Roon sfaik, but it is always a possibility.

This release will see some changes to the database. In 1.2 there were fundamental changes to Audio upon the introduction of RAAT. Once big structural changes like those are rolled out then it becomes more feasible for dependant features to be incrementally improved, rather than all arriving at once. We might see smaller feature releases rather than a large blockbuster.

1 Like

WHaaaaaaaat?

You’re telling me that version 1.3 is not going to be held back until there is a perfect Dutch translation available?
That a) it might not be perfect, or b) it might not even include it at all? and c) it might come whenever or never?

And that for such a critical feature (for the minute percentile of the Roon community that is Dutch, have bought it, and currently can’t navigate it)?

Of course I agree that the blame fully goes to the alpha testers. That perverse pride again. It cometh before the fall. Perhaps a public tarring and feathering is in order for the alpha tester that delays a release by finding something critical that we (the plebs) could have easily found ourselves, post go live, and then have had the opportunity to complain to Roon about.
Not only will they cause a delay in delivery, but also deprive us from our right to complain.

As for change arriving incrementally, I agree, entirely. Amongst us experts we call this the salami technique. When change is too big for users to chew off in one bite (and for all that has been inferred on 1.3 this is definitively the case), it is much better to hold them back and doll out piecemeal. You don’t give kids the bag of chips, but a small bowl at at time. Something manageable.

Further to that, while we’re at it, if only a small portion of the rumors is true, Roon is becoming too good. What about all these users that use a certain upsampling tool, and let Roon flow through a river, to end up with hard earned, audio nirvana. We’re running a real risk that there will be wide spread withdrawal syndromes. What to tweak now?
You’ve fully sold me @andybob, perhaps it is best to keep the earth flat for a little longer

(don’t forget, a little tarring and feathering will keep us entertained in the meantime
)

:sarcasm: :wink: :wink: :wink:

7 Likes

I’d do Dutch, but I’m lazy. Sorry for the hold-up.

2 Likes

Hi Rene,

If you want I can help you.

Pieter

I was only joking with @rovinggecko, but lets lobby for Dutch to be added to the translation list first. :slight_smile: