Roon 1.3 : Top Priorities

Relating to MQA software decoding - ie the first unfold (sounds like a horror movie!):

I am assuming that this first unfold (to 88 or 96) happens in the Roon core and prior to any DSP. So we would get the benefit of the first unfold to 88 or 96, and use DSP after that, correct?

I do understand that the moment you touch the stream with DSP there’s no more further unfolding possible by an MQA DAC or renderer. If you want “full” MQA decoding you cannot use any DSP and will have to send that to an MQA-enabled DAC.

1 Like

Me too. :slight_smile:

I have one case that is probably not that rare: my 818 is a zone and drives the DSP8000s, but it also drives the headphones (analog output to a headphone amp). I would assume many amps driving speakers also have headphone jacks.

So this would require a simple switch, not just in a setup space. Awkward, I have to remember to switch.

Or a virtual device, like the “phantom” device Meridian supports, but that is awkward because selecting the virtual device doesn’t force plugging the headphones on.

Awkward either way.

Methinks you’re a bit out of luck unless “profiles” for each device are supported and you switch between them.

Yes, Roon can’t configure for different devices connected to a Zone if it can’t see them. Stored preset DSP settings may be of some assistance here, but they would be applied to the whole Zone, not to each device.

funny @AndersVinberg – I use the exact same setup with slightly less expensive gear… G68 + DSP7200 + Prime headphone amp and I run into the same awkward issue

I’d love to get virtual zones and offline zones support into Roon. It would also work around some of my misbehaving devices issues where switching inputs resets USB buses (cough cough devialet cough)

2 Likes

Well, you’re in a position to do something about it, aren’t you?

Tricky problem…

I don’t think so… COO’s fix other people’s problems, not add problems for other people to fix…

2 Likes

And stops/breaks other zones in grouped playback :cry:

Another thing might be the glowing star indicating quality. In low quality is orange but everything else is silver. Maybe something else for 44/16 and something other for higher quality.

Will there be any basic sound quality improvements (with respect to conventional PCM RAAT streaming to an endpoint) included as part of the 1.3 update? I had assumed 1.3 would offer additional features but something I read elsewhere hinted that maybe some sound quality optimisation might also be included in the package.

Some improvements are highlighted here:

In particular, upsampling and parametric eq are very cool. Given all these changes, it looks like the playback engine is fully re-written and I would hope is improved from the current version. If all else fails, you have HQPlayer (which I used today with Roon) and it sounds great.

20 posts were split to a new topic: Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter …)

I would like to have an automated EQ system in Roon 1.3, an automated measurement system, like Dirac.
Maybe its already part of the coming release.

1 Like

I also would like to see the introduction of folders…
I would like to see the availibility of older fileformats like Ape, the possibility to play sacd isos directly, without splitting them up.
These are my wishes for future releases…

1 Like

An extra folder or two to store specific titles would be a great feature. For example, a specific folder for Tidal MQA albums (or an MQA banner on the album cover).

Once 1.3 is released I would suggest not just that this thread is closed, but that users take the time to familiarise themselves with all the things that 1.3 has to offer.

It will be unhelpful if people request stuff that is already there (which happens a lot already :wink: )

So when it hits your computers, please take a good few weeks of playing before you formulate your requests for the future.

4 Likes

This - A huge MQA tab that takes you to ALL MGQ albums. The “Masters” section on Tidal does not show all MQA titles.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter …)