Roon 1.4 Feedback

Hi,

Roon is becoming better and better.
Excellent work, folks!!!

Thank you!
Michael

Probably should have noticed this sooner, but I find that when I transfer from one RAAT zone to another while somewhere in the n th part of a multi-part composition (where n is not equal to 1), the new, “transferred-to” zone always picks up at the beginning of Part 1. Seems like a bug to me.

2 Likes

My iPad 2017 is now playing well, but when I connect my hearing aids through bluetooth to my iPad all tracks are passed and no sound is coming to my Oticon hearing aids.

Pieter dVR

What a great update…!! Well done Roon!
I occasionally follow everyones’ “troubles tribulations and requests” and have to observe that Roon diligently studies and applies where possible.
1.4 is AWESOME!
My favourite which come to mind…

Snappier response
iOS Endpoint
Internet radio much better
Volume slider is brilliant (zones)
Comfort max volume
Seems better “radio” of similar stuff shuffling
Roon developing in different languages! … lots seem to forget this.

BRAVO and Happy holidays!

3 Likes

Can anyone tell a bit more about how Shuffle uses the Radio algorithm?
For instance, what happens when you shuffle your entire library? Does it pick some sort of seed and produce a radio around it?

Aargh. I ordered the wrong piece without a charging port. The iPhone does not have enough power to power the Meridian Explorer2. My whole thought was a mobile MQA setup but not possible?

Use a power bank and stay mobile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure the relationship between Tool, Pat Methany, and Grapes of Wrath, but I’m loving the journey around my collection the new Radio algorithm is taking me on.

Amazing work Roon team. An exponential improvement!

4 Likes

Good idea, ends up being a lot of wires!

What type of power bank, or what size is good tradeoff of power vs size?

I’m looking at these

I think I’m going with the Jackery

The ios ipad capability works like a champ bluetoothing to my Fugoo XL. A nice feature to listen with while out in the garage or back yard…Nice!

I’m all about the Bluetooth-speaker option. A portable zone you can have wherever you want it, as long as you’re within WiFi range. Also good with IEMs for doing outdoor chores. Pairs well with the enhanced shuffle and radio capabilities.

Happy Christmas everyone!

I am enjoying a bit of personal time before everyone gets up on this Christmas morn with my T1’s and Mojo and Roon and some fine flacs.

I am also noticing a much more vibrant, dynamic and detailed sound. It’s really quite noticeable. Instrument separation and details better and more dynamic generally. It’s generally sounding more natural.

Not sure what trickery that’s gone on with this update, but it’s very noticeable. It’s like I have a new system. Really.

Very weird and very good!

2 Likes

I have no opinion on this issue, which several seem to have pointed out, but if it was bit perfect before 1.4 and it is bit perfect now, what exactly has changed if anything?

Merry Christmas to everyone here and Team Roon.

From the 1.4 Release Notes:

We’ve also optimized the RAAT implementation in the Core to minimize CPU usage and context switching during streaming. On the endpoint side, there some optimizations in Roon, Roon Server and Roon Bridge that reduce timing variability when passing audio buffers to device drivers.

4 Likes

This is one of the issues I’m now experiencing. With iPeng as intermediator, it occurred sometimes. With Roon iOS support, unfortunately, it happens very often. Bluetooth support still a bit unstable? Can’t see a problem with my iPad or PX.

Edit: Also, when I use my iPad as an endpoint without headphones, and I close my iPad, Roon skips all files on the album and stops. Through iPeng, Roon had no issues with this in the same setup and circumstances.

A post was split to a new topic: Problems With Radio in Version 1.4

Well I have to say that the feedback for 1.4 has been largely positive. I’m sold. Currently backing up Roon and making copies of my databases and I am going to take the plunge.

Awesome Christmas present indeed. Thank you Roon …:arrow_forward:

MD

4 Likes

Bit sad writing this Christmas Day night, but it’s the first time I’ve had to myself in ages, and I’m guessing it’s going to be a while before it happens again…

Anyway, I finally had a chance to play with 1.4 a bit more.

Love the iOS playback - that’s really great to see. Can’t wait until the Summer when, for the last two years, sitting in the garden listening to music instantly became an issue if I was using Roon. This year ipeng just about closed the gap but it was fussy. Come this Summer time Roon on iPhone to the rescue… if you one day worked out getting just the output part on older iOS devices, that would make great use of a fair few decent devices that are knocking around.

Apart from the size on iPhone, I’m really liking the new volume controls and limits. Again, I would have liked something more radical in design but it really does work and the comfort limit’s a good idea.

Great to be able to see the iOS status bar now.

I also really like the ability to get rid of multi-part layout for albums. I’ve never liked the classical workflow or presentation that crops up in the odd album of mine that’s vaguely classical - I just don’t like the way the tracks are all lumped into one object and you can’t even see in the queue what’s coming up or easily reorder tracks etc. I’ll be setting this for all my problem albums (if only one could select all and apply it, I’d just do everything), and in fact would love to see a global setting for this in the future.

Countering those big positives, I knew at first glance the UI changes weren’t particularly for me, but I hadn’t expected things to fundamentally go backwards…

After waiting more than a year for the zone transfer icon to go somewhere sensible - which it eventually did: to the zones menu - it’s now been shoved out of there and over into the volume control section! As has zone settings. Noooooo, madness, whhhhhyyyyyyyy?! Makes no sense! :sob: (DSP just about gets away with it maybe).

The initial zone settings popup is a mess (on grouped zones especially). Also, the zone picking/grouping is less functional - you’re now restricted from ungrouping the first zone and it takes up loads more space onscreen. The BIG zone linked icon on the footer is a bit ‘in yer face’ too - what was wrong with a speaker icon and maybe a linked symbol below?

The popup play buttons are horrible. I really don’t like the default play controls not being global either. It’s not obvious why some settings are global and others not - personally I want most settings to be global so all remotes work the same without intervention at each device and can just be set at the core. At least per profile anyway.

And what’s with a menu icon for settings but nothing else on the main menu? It cropped up before 1.4 I know, but…

All in all I have to say I was as bit disappointed even after a couple of days with it. The under the hood stuff is great, but the UI definitely needs a complete overhaul IMO. It’s still good and better than any of the competition - certainly the ones Ive tried - but IMO it’s becoming less cohesive and less intuitive in some ways with each update, which is a real shame. I’ve still not come to terms with the horrible ‘play now’ buttons under every internet radio station from earlier design updates for example… (internet radio is of course long overdue an update in itself).

Would be great to see the iPhone app updated soon too. At least let us have the menu items we want, where we want them.

I can see a huge amount of work went into this, so hats off to the team in any event - I’m sure it ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people (including a few of mine) - but the UI really should be dealt with as a big picture rework rather than tinkered with a piece at a time… Imo of course.

There’s definitely some unnecessary blank space been added into the iPad header as I found some old screenshots.

1.3x

5 Likes

I agree with this Steve, definitely not intuitive anymore. I know it takes time to adjust to UI changes but I am constantly looking in the wrong place for the zone transfer button.

I’m also finding the grouped zone volume controls very fiddly, pre 1.4 I used the master volume slider the most when playing through my grouped zones.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I can reproduce.